Plex not transcoding to other devices with my setup.

Go to solution Solved by MikeZ18,

I found the issue. I had to change the media server pointing directory a few days ago and that broke the plex metadata. After cleaning the bundle and optimizing the database in plex everything seems to be back on track for now.

I recently built my own server and here are how the server is currently setup.

Proxmox is the hypervisor.

Unraid is running as a VM under Proxmox.

Windows 11 runs as a VM under Proxmox, with Plex and other games installed.

I did passthrough a 4060ti (its the only one that can fit into my case so please don't roast me for my choice) to the windows 11 VM hoping plex will use it for transcoding. I found that plex is able to transcode if I watch the content on the windows 11 VM but cannot transcode if I am watching from another machine.

At first I thought it was because I did not check the primary GPU box in the PCI tab but it still does not work after I enabled it. My guess is the windows 11 network is used up receiving video data from the unraid VM through Proxmox networking. Therefore chocking plex's ability to send data out to the internet. I am also thinking about getting another ethernet to USB adapter and passing that into the Windows 11 VM, but I am unsure if this is the actual issue. Are there any other things I should check?

I set everything up following this article.

10 hours ago, MikeZ18 said:

I recently built my own server and here are how the server is currently setup.

Proxmox is the hypervisor.

Unraid is running as a VM under Proxmox.

Windows 11 runs as a VM under Proxmox, with Plex and other games installed.

I did passthrough a 4060ti (its the only one that can fit into my case so please don't roast me for my choice) to the windows 11 VM hoping plex will use it for transcoding. I found that plex is able to transcode if I watch the content on the windows 11 VM but cannot transcode if I am watching from another machine.

At first I thought it was because I did not check the primary GPU box in the PCI tab but it still does not work after I enabled it. My guess is the windows 11 network is used up receiving video data from the unraid VM through Proxmox networking. Therefore chocking plex's ability to send data out to the internet. I am also thinking about getting another ethernet to USB adapter and passing that into the Windows 11 VM, but I am unsure if this is the actual issue. Are there any other things I should check?

I set everything up following this article.

What happens when you try? 

Have you checked the plex log files? 

47 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

What happens when you try? 

Have you checked the plex log files? 

It gives a transcoding error. I tried digging through the logs but there's a lot of them and I don't really know where to look. I found that if I am watching a video for the first time, the transcoding works fine. However, if I have watched it before, the transcoding just fails. I am now suspecting it's plex caching or something to do with what the first time transcoding have done.

I found the issue. I had to change the media server pointing directory a few days ago and that broke the plex metadata. After cleaning the bundle and optimizing the database in plex everything seems to be back on track for now.