NVIDIA RTX 4070: ASUS vs ZOTAC

Parker Kincaid
Go to solution Solved by Agall,
26 minutes ago, Parker Kincaid said:

Thank you for the prompt input. Yes, I'm in the US. I actually wasn't aware the Dual didn't have RGB. I consider that a huge plus!

I'm in the same boat, I have a KISS approach to most things including PC components.

I will say though if you were limiting yourself to white only models, you'd be better off looking at 4070 Super's (yes, I see you do mention to not mention this, but its worth it) since price wise, a white 4070 versus white 4070S aren't far off in price. $530 vs $570 between those isn't worth it, but $570 vs $620 is to go with Super.

ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 White OC Edition 12GB GDDR6X (PCIe 4.0, 12GB GDDR6X, DLSS 3, HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4a, 2.56-slot design, Axial-tech fan design, 0dB technology) DUAL-RTX4070-O12G-WHITE - Newegg.com

vs

MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER Video Card RTX 4070 SUPER 12G VENTUS 2X WHITE OC - Newegg.com

Just something to consider, if you're not going with that $530 model and REALLY want white. The extra $90 being worth it if you wanted white specifically to also get another 15% or so performance.

$10 more for a comparably similar model, total $60 more for 15% more performance being worth it still.

ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER White OC Edition (PCIe 4.0, 12GB GDDR6X, DLSS 3, HDMI 2.1a, DisplayPort 1.4a, 2.56-slot design, Axial-tech fan design, Auto-Extreme Tech) DUAL-RTX4070S-O12G-WHITE - Newegg.com

I'm looking to purchase a new videocard. I'm upgrading from an ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G (ROG-STRIX-RTX-2060-O6G). I'm looking at the NVIDIA RTX 4070. I'd love to go with the Ti or Super but it's not happening and I've put the upgrade off for long enough. Going from the 2060 to the 4070 should be a nice improvement. My list of choices is down to the ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 White OC Edition and the ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Twin Edge OC White Edition.

Some points:

1. The ASUS has HDMI 2.1 vs the ZOTAC having HDMI 2.1a. I use DisplayPort so I'm not really concerned with that but is it really something I should even care about?
  2. The ZOTAC is a bit smaller which is a plus. I believe the ZOTAC is a 2.2 slot card and the ASUS is over 2.5 slots.
  3. I absolutely will not be using Armoury Crate if I go with ASUS. As it is with my ASUS RTX 2060 I'm using OpenRGB to deal with the RGB which is actually turned off. I remove any and all ASUS bloat that I possibly can.
  4. I do not want to install the ZOTAC Gaming Firestorm Utility if I go with ZOTAC. I see that some ZOTAC cards are listed as supported by OpenRGB but the 4070 doesn't seem to be listed. Is it possible to at least turn off or adjust the RGB and not keep the ZOTAC software installed?

The system the GPU with be going in has an ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard, AMD 5800X, and G.Skill Trident Z Neo (2x16GB) 3600MT/s CL16-19-19-39 RAM.

Does anyone have experience with either or both of these and can offer some input? I have no personal experience with ZOTAC cards and am curious how well they compare with respect to temps.

I appreciate any feedback with respect to the two cards I've mentioned but please refrain from recommending the 4070 Ti or Super and I have no interest in switching to AMD for graphics.

Thanks!

Edited by Parker Kincaid

7 minutes ago, Parker Kincaid said:

I'm looking to purchase a new videocard. I'm upgrading from an ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G (ROG-STRIX-RTX-2060-O6G). I'm looking at the NVIDIA RTX 4070. I'd love to go with the Ti or Super but it's not happening and I've put the upgrade off for long enough. Going from the 2060 to the 4070 should be a nice improvement. My list of choices is down to the ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 White OC Edition and the ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Twin Edge OC White Edition.

Some points:

1. The ASUS has HDMI 2.1 vs the ZOTAC having HDMI 2.1a. I use DisplayPort so I'm not really concerned with that but is it really something I should even care about?
  2. The ZOTAC is a bit smaller which is a plus. I believe the ZOTAC is a 2.2 slot card and the ASUS is over 2.5 slots.
  3. I absolutely will not be using Armoury Crate if I go with ASUS. As it is with my ASUS RTX 2060 I'm using OpenRGB to deal with the RGB which is actually turned off.
  4. I do not want to install the ZOTAC Gaming Firestorm Utility if I go with ZOTAC. I see that some ZOTAC cards are listed as supported by OpenRGB but the 4070 doesn't seem to be listed. Is it possible to at least turn off or adjust the RGB and not keep the ZOTAC software installed?

Does anyone have experience with either or both of these and can offer some input? I have no personal experience with ZOTAC cards and am curious how well they compare with respect to temps.

I appreciate any feedback with respect to the two cards I've mentioned but please refrain from recommending the 4070 Ti or Super and I have no interest in switching to AMD for graphics.

Thanks!

Unless you're not in the US/North America, I'd just get this card if you're looking at RTX 4070's.

ASUS NVIDIA Dual GeForce RTX 4070 Overclock Gaming 12 GB GDDR6X IP5X Graphics Card DUAL-RTX4070-O12G - Newegg - Newegg.com

Its barely more than 2 slots, decent length, and doesn't require software since it doesn't have RGB to turn off. I don't see another card that's comparably priced, but if you don't want to install companion software, stay away from RGB models.

Unless you're giving yourself an arbitrary aesthetic choice of white, consider the Gigabyte models as well.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

Unless you're not in the US/North America, I'd just get this card if you're looking at RTX 4070's.

ASUS NVIDIA Dual GeForce RTX 4070 Overclock Gaming 12 GB GDDR6X IP5X Graphics Card DUAL-RTX4070-O12G - Newegg - Newegg.com

Its barely more than 2 slots, decent length, and doesn't require software since it doesn't have RGB to turn off. I don't see another card that's comparably priced, but if you don't want to install companion software, stay away from RGB models.

Thank you for the prompt input. Yes, I'm in the US. I actually wasn't aware the Dual didn't have RGB. I consider that a huge plus!

26 minutes ago, Parker Kincaid said:

I'm in the same boat, I have a KISS approach to most things including PC components.

I will say though if you were limiting yourself to white only models, you'd be better off looking at 4070 Super's (yes, I see you do mention to not mention this, but its worth it) since price wise, a white 4070 versus white 4070S aren't far off in price. $530 vs $570 between those isn't worth it, but $570 vs $620 is to go with Super.

ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 White OC Edition 12GB GDDR6X (PCIe 4.0, 12GB GDDR6X, DLSS 3, HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4a, 2.56-slot design, Axial-tech fan design, 0dB technology) DUAL-RTX4070-O12G-WHITE - Newegg.com

vs

MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER Video Card RTX 4070 SUPER 12G VENTUS 2X WHITE OC - Newegg.com

Just something to consider, if you're not going with that $530 model and REALLY want white. The extra $90 being worth it if you wanted white specifically to also get another 15% or so performance.

$10 more for a comparably similar model, total $60 more for 15% more performance being worth it still.

ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER White OC Edition (PCIe 4.0, 12GB GDDR6X, DLSS 3, HDMI 2.1a, DisplayPort 1.4a, 2.56-slot design, Axial-tech fan design, Auto-Extreme Tech) DUAL-RTX4070S-O12G-WHITE - Newegg.com

....  i wouldn't get a 2x fan card if at all possible... 

there are some white 3x fan models, have you considered those?

i understand the need for a white card though,  they're obviously much faster! look much better in a white case,  i mean!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Agall said:

<SNIP>

I appreciate the input. Definitely food for thought and made me look at things a bit more.

Apparently a mistake I had made was only recently looking at the pricing of the 4070 Ti Super and not the 4070 Super. That made a difference. Now sure how I overlooked that. My system is a white build but I decided that the black ASUS 4070 Super Dual wouldn't really ruin the aesthetics. The price difference between the white 4070 vs the black 4070 Super was really too small to gripe about. Going with the white 4070 Super would have been more than I wanted to spend including taxes. 

I grabbed the ASUS Dual 4070 Super OC for $599 from Amazon. $652.59 after tax.

Only downside is I now have a 12 pin connector to deal with. Such is life.

NOTE: Apologies for any formatting errors, etc. Significant power outage and even cell service isn't great at the moment so I'm not proofreading as much as I normally would. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

....  i wouldn't get a 2x fan card if at all possible... 

there are some white 3x fan models, have you considered those?

i understand the need for a white card though,  they're obviously much faster! look much better in a white case,  i mean!

Thanks for the reply!

I tend to be picky when it comes to manufacturers so my options were limited to begin with. I did look at 3 fan designs but that seemed to increase the price substantially and price was a limiting factor. With respect to going with a white card I still would have preferred it but the black ASUS card I went with shouldn't ruin the overall look.

13 hours ago, Parker Kincaid said:

I appreciate the input. Definitely food for thought and made me look at things a bit more.

Apparently a mistake I had made was only recently looking at the pricing of the 4070 Ti Super and not the 4070 Super. That made a difference. Now sure how I overlooked that. My system is a white build but I decided that the black ASUS 4070 Super Dual wouldn't really ruin the aesthetics. The price difference between the white 4070 vs the black 4070 Super was really too small to gripe about. Going with the white 4070 Super would have been more than I wanted to spend including taxes. 

I grabbed the ASUS Dual 4070 Super OC for $599 from Amazon. $652.59 after tax.

Only downside is I now have a 12 pin connector to deal with. Such is life.

NOTE: Apologies for any formatting errors, etc. Significant power outage and even cell service isn't great at the moment so I'm not proofreading as much as I normally would. 

At least with that card, its only 2x 8pin versus the tentacle monster of a 600W 4x8pin 12VHPWR. Worst case, I'd see if your power supply has a 1st party internally adapted cable. Those generally work even better than 1:1 12VHPWR from a 12VHPWR native PSU.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:37 AM, Agall said:

At least with that card, its only 2x 8pin versus the tentacle monster of a 600W 4x8pin 12VHPWR. Worst case, I'd see if your power supply has a 1st party internally adapted cable. Those generally work even better than 1:1 12VHPWR from a 12VHPWR native PSU.

I have a Corsair RM850x (2018) PSU which didn't come with a 12 pin cable. I'll likely be ordering this a cable from Corsair: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cp-8920274/12-pin-gpu-power-cable-cp-8920274.

EDIT: I made mistakes when originally posting this. I meant to be talking about a 16 pin cable and posting the appropriate link: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cp-8920284/600w-pcie-5-0-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-power-cable-cp-8920284. I corrected these mistakes later in this thread but also wanted to make a correction here. 

10 minutes ago, Parker Kincaid said:

I have a Corsair RM850x (2018) PSU which didn't come with a 12 pin cable. I'll likely be ordering this a cable from Corsair: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cp-8920274/12-pin-gpu-power-cable-cp-8920274.

I'd just verify that yours is type 3 or 4. It'll actually say it on the front of the PSU where the modular ports are.

Otherwise yes, that cable is a blessing and totally worth it. Native 12VHPWR has some sensing issues intermittently, specifically at lower powers, something I haven't seen with internally adapted first party cables.

59 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'd just verify that yours is type 3 or 4. It'll actually say it on the front of the PSU where the modular ports are.

Otherwise yes, that cable is a blessing and totally worth it. Native 12VHPWR has some sensing issues intermittently, specifically at lower powers, something I haven't seen with internally adapted first party cables.

I can't get at the system now but the RMX series should be type 4. At least they were when the RM850x (2018) was released. From memory the difference between the Type 3 and 4 was that the 24-pin had additional pins for voltage sensing. But, yes, I'll do a double-check when I can.

29 minutes ago, Parker Kincaid said:

I can't get at the system now but the RMX series should be type 4. At least they were when the RM850x (2018) was released. From memory the difference between the Type 3 and 4 was that the 24-pin had additional pins for voltage sensing. But, yes, I'll do a double-check when I can.

My RM1000X which I believe is a 2021 version is marked Type-4, written below the PSU side connectors. You could always lookup the specific model number, but I think that's the most definitive way to tell.

1 hour ago, Agall said:

My RM1000X which I believe is a 2021 version is marked Type-4, written below the PSU side connectors. You could always lookup the specific model number, but I think that's the most definitive way to tell.

I have the original box the RM850x came in and the manual and I can't find any reference whatsoever to cable type. Maybe I'm just a moron. Unfortunately, Amazon when I purchased the PSU just slapped the shipping label right on the Corsair box without packing it up so some of the information is obscured. The PSU is currently buried in the system it's in and I can't see any of it without yanking it out which I cannot currently do. I do remember that other than the cable connector labeling there was no writing mentioning cable type on the connector side of the PSU. Possibly the big label on the PSU itself but I've looked at photos of other RM850x supplies and don't see it referenced. I talked to Corsair and they said Type 4. So now I know.

Edited by Parker Kincaid

2 hours ago, anyabaker said:

Upgrading from the ROG STRIX RTX 2060 to an RTX 4070 will indeed be a substantial performance boost. Some factors to consider-

Performance:

Both cards will offer nearly identical gaming performance with just minor variations. They use the same GPU and memory configuration. The factory overclock differences will be minimal in real-world use.
Cooling and Noise:

This is where you'll see some differences.
ASUS Dual: Generally, ASUS Dual cards prioritize a quieter operation with slightly lower clock speeds. This could result in slightly lower temperatures but also marginally lower potential peak performance.
ZOTAC Twin Edge: ZOTAC cards usually focus on smaller form factors and aggressive overclocking. This could mean better peak performance at the cost of slightly higher temperatures and potentially a bit more fan noise under heavy load.
Aesthetics:

Both cards have a white aesthetic, but subtle differences exist in their designs. Choose the one that matches the overall look of your system better.
Price:

This is likely the deciding factor between such comparable cards. If the price difference is substantial, go for the cheaper option unless you have a strong preference for the features of the more expensive card.
Additional Considerations:

Size: Ensure your case can accommodate the size differences between the two cards.
Power Supply: The RTX 4070 is more power-hungry than your RTX 2060. Check if your power supply (PSU) has enough wattage and the necessary PCIe power connectors.
Recommendation:

Since performance is largely similar, prioritize these aspects:

Price: Aim for the best value for money.
Cooling and noise: Determine if you prefer a cooler and quieter card (ASUS Dual) or one that prioritizes peak performance potential (ZOTAC Twin Edge).
Aesthetics: Choose the card that better matches your build's visual style.

Thanks for the input.

I've already ordered the ASUS Dual 4070 Super at this point but I very much did work my way through the list of things you noted in my decision process at the time. In the end, while I would have preferred the slightly smaller size of the ZOTAC card I leaned toward a cooler and quieter card even though it could cost me a little performance. My case will be fine with the card size and my RM850x should be fine with a 4070 Super. 

1 hour ago, Parker Kincaid said:

I have the original box the RM850x came in and the manual and I can't find any reference whatsoever to cable type. Maybe I'm just a moron. Unfortunately, Amazon when I purchased the PSU just slapped the shipping label right on the Corsair box without packing it up so some of the information is obscured. The PSU is currently buried in the system it's in and I can't see any of it without yanking it out which I cannot currently do. I do remember that other than the cable connector labeling there was no writing mentioning cable type on the connector side of the PSU. Possibly the big label on the PSU itself but I've looked at photos of other RM850x supplies and don't see it referenced. I talked to Corsair and they said Type 4. So now I know.

This is what I'm referring to, I don't know if this is standard across all their models though.

image.png.450f584664c64812320c0e0516420cae.png

2 hours ago, Agall said:

This is what I'm referring to, I don't know if this is standard across all their models though.

image.png.450f584664c64812320c0e0516420cae.png

Ahhh... Nope, the RM850x doesn't have that. At least the 2018 model doesn't.

I didn't take this photo but this is what mine looks like:

crm850x.jpg

Edited by Parker Kincaid
Formatting.

I just realized I was being stupid when I was talking about the 12 pin connector and the Corsair cable I linked to. That's only for the 3090 FE as noted on the product listing and wasn't what I meant to be referring to.

I intended to be talking about the 16 pin 600W PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 PSU Power Cable found here: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cp-8920284/600w-pcie-5-0-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-power-cable-cp-8920284. That is the cable for the 4000 series cards. Same price but very much different.

Unfortunately, sometimes I know what I meant to write/say but my brain autocorrects when I proofread so that I don't even see the errors. 🫤

18 minutes ago, Parker Kincaid said:

I just realized I was being stupid when I was talking about the 12 pin connector and the Corsair cable I linked to. That's only for the 3090 FE as noted on the product listing and wasn't what I meant to be referring to.

I intended to be talking about the 16 pin 600W PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 PSU Power Cable found here: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cp-8920284/600w-pcie-5-0-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-power-cable-cp-8920284. That is the cable for the 4000 series cards. Same price but very much different.

Unfortunately, sometimes I know what I meant to write/say but my brain autocorrects when I proofread so that I don't even see the errors. 🫤

Good catch, I clearly wasn't paying enough attention to notice myself.

Just an update... the ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 Super OC was ordered on Feb 28th from Amazon US and was originally scheduled for a March 15th-26th delivery but now it's looking like March 12th-14th. In the meantime I grabbed a Corsair Premium 600W PCIe 5.0/Gen 5 12VHPWR PSU Cable - Fits Type-4 PSUs via Dual 8-pin PCIe - 12+4pin Connector from Amazon that already arrived. I wasn't totally sure whether I wanted white, black, or black and white but decided white will blend in better.

Posted (edited)

I received the new GPU on Friday and installed it today. Installation went pretty easily minus some minor annoyances that were more related to wiring and cable management than the card. The Corsair 2x8-pin to 12-pin Type-4 PSU cable worked perfectly and was easy to fully snap into position on the card.

Edit: I must say, the Corsair 12-pin connector cable definitely makes for a cleaner look and is far less stiff than the original Corsair PCI-E 6+2 pin cables.

Edited by Parker Kincaid

On 3/5/2024 at 5:58 AM, Ebony Falcon said:

Gota love that 5 year zotac warrenty tho bro 

Fair enough but so far I'm pleased with the temps and quietness of the fans.

12 hours ago, Parker Kincaid said:

Fair enough but so far I'm pleased with the temps and quietness of the fans.

Which one did you get ? 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

On 3/4/2024 at 3:05 PM, Parker Kincaid said:

Just an update... the ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 Super OC was ordered on Feb 28th from Amazon US and was originally scheduled for a March 15th-26th delivery but now it's looking like March 12th-14th.

56 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Which one did you get ? 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Been running my Zotac 4070Ti for 8 or 9 months now, so far so good. Runs at 3GHz/12000 with my OC. Fans are quiet. A little tip for possible future Zotac owners.. the stickers on my fans were more like medallions, and the furthest fan had one installed off center, causing a vibration at X speed. Pulled those off the fans and everything is right as rain.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's