Is that premade thermal paste on my new CPU heatsink fan?

Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Yeah that is thermal paste. You can leave it alone and just use it 🙂 That is what its for.

No you dont have to apply paste to the CPU, just use what you have on there. If you take it apart again you may need to use new paste.

plz i would like to know what is that middle of my new CPU heatsink fan? Do I need to still reapply thermal paste on my processor?

20240224_174915.jpg

Looks like preapplied thermal paste to me. Try wiping a tiny bit off of one corner. As long as it's soft and hasn't dried out, you can just put the heatsink down on the processor as-is.

If you want to use your own paste, you'll have to clean that stuff off. When I clean old factory paste off of server heatsinks, I use a plastic scraper or dry paper towel over a trash can to remove the bulk of it. That's a lot less messy than trying to use alcohol to dissolve all of it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Yeah that is thermal paste. You can leave it alone and just use it 🙂 That is what its for.

No you dont have to apply paste to the CPU, just use what you have on there. If you take it apart again you may need to use new paste.

5 minutes ago, f23948 said:

plz i would like to know what is that middle of my new CPU heatsink fan? Do I need to still reapply thermal paste on my processor?

20240224_174915.jpg

As others noted, that's pre-applied thermal paste from the heatsink manufacturer. Feel free to use it as it came from the factory, or clean off the pre-applied paste thoroughly using Isopropyl Alcohol (or equivalent) then apply fresh thermal paste of your choosing.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

It's definitely TIM, but it could be a thermal pad, rather than paste. Either way, it's most likely fine. Give it a go and see what the temperatures are.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Minor grammatical correction.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

29 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

oh ok thank you

2 minutes ago, f23948 said:

oh ok thank you

That's a thermal pad, so you may not need to replace it if you do take the heatsink off. Depending on the condition, you could pull it off and put it onto another CPU, if you're upgrading.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch