what are your thoughts on going AMD-CPU Nvidia-GPU / Full AMD / Intel-CPU Nvidia-GPU?

SirErik

I'm talking about gaming on them and the problems I hear about going Full AMD. Is this a problem still?

Idk about the Intel GPUs but if you want to talk about them go ahead.

I'm building my next pc with AMD-CPU Nvidia-GPU. My friends like don't go AMD at all they have problems a lot. I think Linus had problem with his all AMD pc if I remember correctly and it was GPU related from that series of videos they did. That's why I'm going with AMD-CPU Nvidia-GPU.

This is one of those things that's always going to come down to anecdotal experience. From the experience of my systems (having AMD GPUs in them for the past ~1.5 years) and friend's systems (at least 5 currently, half of which are full AMD), it's all been fine with minimal issues, the same rough number of issues as Nvidia cards. Given you can get so much more performance per dollar with AMD, they're usually the way to go unless you have one of the few situations that need a Nvidia card (usually CUDA accelerated workloads, but there are a few programs that have much better support for Nvidia cards). 

AMD CPUs have been fine for a while now, especially since the 7800X3D is the best gaming CPU in a while in pretty much everything but FFXIV and Starfield.

1 hour ago, SirErik said:

I'm talking about gaming on them and the problems I hear about going Full AMD. Is this a problem still?

Idk about the Intel GPUs but if you want to talk about them go ahead.

I'm building my next pc with AMD-CPU Nvidia-GPU. My friends like don't go AMD at all they have problems a lot. I think Linus had problem with his all AMD pc if I remember correctly and it was GPU related from that series of videos they did. That's why I'm going with AMD-CPU Nvidia-GPU.

Alright bud, what type of work are you going to be doing with the pc?

If you want raw gaming performance in games then go with AMD gpu, it has FSR 3 frame generation as well but

If you want to be streaming or your a content creator and you want fancy raytracing, dlss then go with Nvidia.

For cpu it diffrent, alot of amd cpus are overclock able and amd chips has less TDP than intel, amd chips are more future proofable too  it comes down to preference really INTEL chips has higher clock speeds than amd and Intel uses LGA while amd uses PGA, inshort amd chips has pins while intel is contact pads but amd switched to LGA on their recent chips.

EDIT: Amd chips has something called x3d on their chips, X3D means the chip has stacked L3 cache (They just stack levels of L3 cache on top of each other to have more) The X3D chips are much better in games than normal X ones but usually worse in productivity because AMD had to reduce clocks on them to make the 3D Cache stable(source: redit).

My current PC, which I've had for ~2.5 years now, is all AMD. My previous PC, which I used for ~6 years, was AMD GPU, Intel CPU. No issues on either. Full disclosure: I did still use WIndows to play most games on my previous system, have since moved to Linux 99.999% of the time.

Nvidia does have better upscaling (DLSS vs FSR/XeSS) and better performance in ray tracing games. If you have a use case that requires CUDA, then they're your only choice. Otherwise, AMD generally has better bang for the buck, as long as you're not aiming for the best of the best (i.e. RTX 4090), where AMD generally doesn't have a serious competitor.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Don't have much experience with AMD gpus but for cpus I would say they are rock solid at this point. I have first 2 gens of ryzen were rough but at this point ryzen 5000 or ryzen 7000 are both super good and you won't run into issues. I would choose 7000 but 5000 series is great if you are on a tight budget. Personally wouldn't go Intel simply due to them running hot and not wanting to get anything crazy for cooling. 

11 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Have you ever considered an AMD CPU and Intel GPU? It hasn't really been done, and both really could use some optimization assistance by having alphabetical testing on their drivers and APIs/GUIs, etc.

I pretty much have my new pc but the gpu, I'm have the ryzen 7 7800x3d

11 hours ago, SirErik said:

I read you reply quick figured you said Nvidia lol. I looked a little into Intel GPUs but the prices where cheap compared to AMD and Nvidia and didn't like that and felt that they weren't good. But didn't want to look that much.

12 hours ago, Blazepoint5 said:

Alright bud, what type of work are you going to be doing with the pc?

If you want raw gaming performance in games then go with AMD gpu, it has FSR 3 frame generation as well but

If you want to be streaming or your a content creator and you want fancy raytracing, dlss then go with Nvidia.

For cpu it diffrent, alot of amd cpus are overclock able and amd chips has less TDP than intel, amd chips are more future proofable too  it comes down to preference really INTEL chips has higher clock speeds than amd and Intel uses LGA while amd uses PGA, inshort amd chips has pins while intel is contact pads but amd switched to LGA on their recent chips.

EDIT: Amd chips has something called x3d on their chips, X3D means the chip has stacked L3 cache (They just stack levels of L3 cache on top of each other to have more) The X3D chips are much better in games than normal X ones but usually worse in productivity because AMD had to reduce clocks on them to make the 3D Cache stable(source: redit).

IL be gaming mostly and making ai images for fun.

I pretty much have my new pc (Ryzen 7 7800x3d) besides GPU

43 minutes ago, SirErik said:

https://wccftech.com/intel-arc-battlemage-xe2-gpus-in-labs-software-team-good-news-coming-celestial-xe3-hardware-team/

Intel-Architecture-Day-2021_Pressdeck_Final_EMBARGO-compressed-107.thumb.jpg.286eb16346452a8e94472a25bf9065ba.jpg

Honestly, I would invest in an Intel GPU, I see an AMD Fine Aged Technology Situation coming out of this arch from Raja and Shrout.

Acer Predator BiFrost OC Arc A770 16 GB Video Card (Predator BiFrost Intel Arc A770 OC) - PCPartPicker

Sparkle TITAN OC Arc A770 16 GB Video Card (SA770T-16GOC) - PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Intel-Architecture-Day-2021_Pressdeck_Final_EMBARGO-compressed-107.thumb.jpg.286eb16346452a8e94472a25bf9065ba.jpg

Honestly, I would invest in an Intel GPU, I see an AMD Fine Aged Technology Situation coming out of this arch from Raja and Shrout.

Acer Predator BiFrost OC Arc A770 16 GB Video Card (Predator BiFrost Intel Arc A770 OC) - PCPartPicker

Sparkle TITAN OC Arc A770 16 GB Video Card (SA770T-16GOC) - PCPartPicker

Yeah maybe I didnt look at too much on the intel GPUs but I will lookup some more while I save for the GPU.

There is nothing wrong about mixing and matching. You won't get any special benefit from sticking to one vendor, nor will you get punished by mixing. 

I would also be very weary about trusting someone who generalized and says things like "AMD offers more performance per dollar". Those usually paint and overly simplistic view of the world and in reality it differs from country to country, month by month (prices change) and depending on which products you compare. Just because one company offers higher performance at the 800 dollar mark doesn't mean the same is true at the 300 dollar mark for example, or vice versa. 

Really it can all depend on specific use and individual experiences over time. But I would not listen to people X brand is crap because usually that vocal crowd generally doesn't know much about tech, had some bad experience many years or decade ago and salt is strong. Every company had issues, depends on who stumbled on which issue at the time. Or stright up brand loyalists aka I always use X because I like that brand period, literally nothing more to it, not knowing anything about how PCs work or corporations, thinking they care for them. You'd be surprised convos I had irl or things I've seen people say online. Not talking about people sticking to a brand because it works or they never gave a thought and know just enough that is good for them, all good. But those that spew blatant nonsense.

I'll always be surprised the power of brand and how much people subscribe to it blindly. 

Now for games, if you are unsure, I'd check specific games how they run on different brand hardware in comparable ranges. Some games will favor one brand some other. Some or outlayers like so but many are comparable from what I've seen. 

As for prices, I always said, depends on region, check with your retailer etc. In my case where I live, pretty much always AMD CPU/GPU are cheaper in same range vs Intel/Nvidia parts. Same now. 

I've built many PCs and for some at times I'd build Intel/Nvidia because they were comparable in price and performed better at certain games person cared. Most I've build were full AMD ones as yeah price/perf was good and just overall better buy. 

But again, if you care for specific outlayer games where perf can vary a lot, have to check reviews for your decision in that way. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Consdering GPUs and CPUs are made by different engineering teams and don't really consider that much of compatibility with each other... if you are having issues with something, you might be having similar issues with other combos using the problematic parts.

There are some minor benefits of going same board-partner with mobo, RAM and GPU. Mainly using one control software for RGB and other stuff like that. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

There are no real benefits to going all one brand, just use the hardware that is best suited to your needs.

Personally I am AMD CPU / Nvidia GPU despite the AMD pricing, because it better meets my needs.

On 2/20/2024 at 11:06 PM, BiG StroOnZ said:

Have you ever considered an AMD CPU and Intel GPU? It hasn't really been done, and both really could use some optimization assistance by having alphabetical testing on their drivers and APIs/GUIs, etc.

All the time.  The 12600kf is probably the best value for a gaming CPU right now and it can run with a 7900xt in almost everything for max settings 1440p AAA gaming, which is what A LOT of people want.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

You can mix whatever you want, the only thing I've seen cause issues is a laptop with integrated AMD graphics and Nvidia dedicated GPU. Because now you have double graphics drivers and they don't always seem to play nice.