Extend SSD lifespan and improve PC performance - for free

kasdashd

If you have a lot of RAM, you can disable virtual memory in Windows. This uses your SSD as RAM, if you run out of RAM, but also just in general. 

And since SSD's are much slower than RAM, this can really slow down your PC performance when you run out of RAM, og just whenever the system decides to swap to your SSD at random. 

You can read online about how to disable virtual memory, and if this is something you should actually do in your specific situation, but I have 64gb of RAM, and it never fills up completely, so I have disable this feature.

But if your PC starts freezing or crashing, you should of course turn this feature back on again.

25 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

If you have a lot of RAM, you can disable virtual memory in Windows. This uses your SSD as RAM, if you run out of RAM, but also just in general. 

And since SSD's are much slower than RAM, this can really slow down your PC performance when you run out of RAM, og just whenever the system decides to swap to your SSD at random. 

You can read online about how to disable virtual memory, and if this is something you should actually do in your specific situation, but I have 64gb of RAM, and it never fills up completely, so I have disable this feature.

But if your PC starts freezing or crashing, you should of course turn this feature back on again.

How about buy a good SSD with a DRAM cache and stop keeping the capacity full or near full on the SSD.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

If you have a lot of RAM it's completely unnecessary to disable swap since it'll barely be used. If you don't... well you'll probably need it, so...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Both these posts are true, but I just wanna make 100% sure that the SSD is NEVER used for swap, to prevent even the smallest performance drops or frametime disruptions. Cause framerate means nothing compared to frametimes input lag, how the game actually feels. More CPU cores don’t get you more fps, but they make the game run smoother, loads faster, assuming single speed is the same when comparing, and you can multitask a lot more while gaming, since it’s a PC and not a console.

no that doesn't make sense, virtual memory won't shorten a ssds lifespan enough for that to be worth it... additionally some programs need virtual memory to function so that also doesn't make this a good idea - sure,  if it works for you, cool, but generally people should just leave virtual memory alone,  Windows is very good at managing this by itself,  its not rocket science (thanks, dave! 😉 )

5 hours ago, kasdashd said:

Both these posts are true, but I just wanna make 100% sure that the SSD is NEVER used for swap, to prevent even the smallest performance drops or frametime disruptions. Cause framerate means nothing compared to frametimes input lag, how the game actually feels. More CPU cores don’t get you more fps, but they make the game run smoother, loads faster, assuming single speed is the same when comparing, and you can multitask a lot more while gaming, since it’s a PC and not a console.

yes, but the problem is,  this *will* worsen your performance if you believe it or not...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity