Windows key websites - Scam or Savings?

BudgetBacon

So, I'm sure this has been asked 10,000 times before, but can anyone provide real world examples of if these sites are legitimate? Was activation easy? Was there any short-term or long-term issues? Any malicious software as a result? I've always been curious. 

OEM keys are resold often and you look into how oem keys enter a resale market you’ll see why they’re like $20 while a retail key is $140

The problem with discussing it is that it’s a legal gray area that while it isn’t exactly illegal, it’s very much so in the realm of piracy topics that isn’t permitted here because it’s a bad idea to condone it and affiliate anything of that nature to this site.

Same kinda thing like how abandonware downloads wouldn’t be allowed here.

You’ll have to do that research outside of here.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

OEM keys are resold often and you look into how oem keys enter a resale market you’ll see why they’re like $20 while a retail key is $140

The problem with discussing it is that it’s a legal gray area that while it isn’t exactly illegal, it’s very much so in the realm of piracy topics that isn’t permitted here because it’s a bad idea to condone it and affiliate anything of that nature to this site.

Same kinda thing like how abandonware downloads wouldn’t be allowed here.

You’ll have to do that research outside of here.

I see. Still new here and learning the do's and dont's. Thanks for the heads up!

3 minutes ago, BudgetBacon said:

I see. Still new here and learning the do's and dont's. Thanks for the heads up!

The only tldr i can offer is that all OEM keys are the same

wether it’s a $140 key from Newegg/amazon, or a $20 key elsewhere

if it is called an “OEM” key, it’s the same functional thing

large retailers bank on people not knowing the difference between a retail and oem key, and tricking people into paying retail key prices for an oem key

An oem key is one time use, tied to one machine, and will deactivate if you replace the motherboard 

a retail key is transferrable a few times, and can be reactivated on a system where you change the motherboard, usually easiest when tied to a Microsoft account 

if you buy a retail key, it will cost a lot more, get it directly from Microsoft or get it via physical media from an actual store 

7 minutes ago, 8tg said:

The only tldr i can offer is that all OEM keys are the same

wether it’s a $140 key from Newegg/amazon, or a $20 key elsewhere

if it is called an “OEM” key, it’s the same functional thing

large retailers bank on people not knowing the difference between a retail and oem key, and tricking people into paying retail key prices for an oem key

An oem key is one time use, tied to one machine, and will deactivate if you replace the motherboard 

a retail key is transferrable a few times, and can be reactivated on a system where you change the motherboard, usually easiest when tied to a Microsoft account 

if you buy a retail key, it will cost a lot more, get it directly from Microsoft or get it via physical media from an actual store 

That's fantastic information. I'll do some research into it. I think it's about time to get rid of my watermark lol

if its on windows 10 and not activated you can use it for ever like that as far as i no. other then the water mark and a few settings you "cant change"

ways to get rid of the water mark is out there but i mean $20... is cheap so...

there were ways to get a cheaper oem key and way to upgrade to a newer os i dont think its as easy as once was but probly still posable. there is a youtuber that worked in Microsoft and talks about stuff like is and the whys about it. they some how make moeny off other things so wether you pay for it or not probly makes no difference for them in the end. they have ways to deactivate it at any time if the felt like it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

And to be clear, there are some "legitimate" OEM keys available for sale. They're the same stock as what the retailer would've used for their own brand of prebuilt and custom-built systems. Whether or not they are allowed to do that is a different story. But at least you'll know it wouldn't be acquired via stolen credit cards, etc. like some of those third-party sellers out there selling keys for dirt cheap.

If you're in Canada, Canada Computers, a brick-and-mortar store does sell them, and are available in-store. It's not some online only thing. 

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=39_530&item_id=205936

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

56 minutes ago, 8tg said:

19 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

And to be clear, there are some "legitimate" OEM keys available for sale. 

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=39_530&item_id=205936

As @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito noted, there are legitimate OEM keys sold through retailers for a bit less than a regular Retail Windows license (see screenshot below), however, they're nowhere near $20 if they're legitimate. Any keys sold through back, side, top, left, right, or upside down (Australian) channels for $7, $15, $20, $35, etc. are almost never legitimately acquired, and thus violate Microsoft's Reseller contracts and EULAs.

Will they work? Maybe. Are they ethical? Only you can answer that. Are they illegal? IANAL, call a software lawyer. Regardless, we cannot make any recommendations on sellers or activation processes for such OEM keys because Community Guidelines and Terms of Service.

image.png.384894612cb78f54fc1be6090ce08a72.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 minutes ago, kirashi said:

there are legitimate OEM keys sold through retailers for a bit less than a regular Retail Windows license (see screenshot below), however, they're nowhere near $20 if they're legitimate

Yes, technically places like Newegg are oems who can sell provided oem keys.

However, they work the exact same as any other oem key. And do not have a pricing guide from Microsoft. There is no MSRP on an oem key.

What they are doing is still very malicious, and considering they all function the same, no amount of legitimacy is worth $100+ to simply feel better that instead of buying a questionably obtained oem key, you got scammed for a legitimate oem key instead.

I’m not saying you should buy the $20 key

i am saying I’ve used nothing but those keys for years, and you won’t catch me dead paying anyone triple digits for one just so i feel better

if im doing that im buying a retail key on physical media because an extra bit of money spent over the “legitimate” oem key is worth it for the cool box