How bad is this ps5 hdmi port

robotxbot

I accidentally dropped my ps5. It works but the hdmi port is slightly cracked. It still works but I want to ask how likely it is that it could fail. It works as normal and a picture is on the screen right away. The only issue is that if I unplug it, and plug it back in, the connection becomes like bad and it takes some moving around for the right spot for it to work fine. After finding the right spot it’ll work as normal but I want to get some second opinions

IMG_2106.jpeg

11 minutes ago, robotxbot said:

I accidentally dropped my ps5. It works but the hdmi port is slightly cracked. It still works but I want to ask how likely it is that it could fail. It works as normal and a picture is on the screen right away. The only issue is that if I unplug it, and plug it back in, the connection becomes like bad and it takes some moving around for the right spot for it to work fine. After finding the right spot it’ll work as normal but I want to get some second opinions

No one can tell when that will fail. I have definitely seen a lot worse, its just the outer parts here that is slightly bent. The connections in the middle seem completely fine so thats good. You can try to bend the outer parts back into a tigther shape with a flat head screwdriver or a knife. A tighter fit would mean you might not have to wiggle it around for to the find right spot, lessen the wear on the plug itself.

But if you dont move the PS5 often or remove the HDMI often then you can just leave it really.

it not just going to stop working if you leave it alone.

behold my amazing pain skills.

image.png.b33b49a4b89943d214f9470403eb1c25.png

16 minutes ago, robotxbot said:

either get it replaced or get an female HDMI to HDMI adapter/extender that way you can plug another HDMI cable to the female side and use tape or whatever to make the OG port work

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

44 minutes ago, robotxbot said:

IMG_2106.jpeg

As long as the outer shield makes a connection at some point and none of the solder joins on the motherboard broke, they are usually fine.

The fact you have to move it around sadly probably means a solder joint HAS broken, though if you're lucky it might just be the plug in the cable that has become damaged.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

As long as the outer shield makes a connection at some point and none of the solder joins on the motherboard broke, they are usually fine.

The fact you have to move it around sadly probably means a solder joint HAS broken, though if you're lucky it might just be the plug in the cable that has become damaged.

I have bent the outer bit towards the original shape, and now however I plug it in, it works fine. My only concern is the fact that it CAN bend to the right so much. Any ideas or problems you think this might cause?

Just now, robotxbot said:

I have bent the outer bit towards the original shape, and now however I plug it in, it works fine. My only concern is the fact that it CAN bend to the right so much. Any ideas or problems you think this might cause? (edit): found out if I plug it in too much/push the cable in too much the screen will turn off/start artifacting. I think it's fine for now as long as I dont move it but still think this can cause issues?

11 hours ago, robotxbot said:

I have bent the outer bit towards the original shape, and now however I plug it in, it works fine. My only concern is the fact that it CAN bend to the right so much. Any ideas or problems you think this might cause?

So long as everything is making good contact now it should be fine.

Like I mentioned before, the real concern is if you have broken any solder joints or traces, but no point worrying about that if its working as I'd expect it costly to repair unless you are skilled enough to do it yourself.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7