Not sure what to upgrade, only that I need to upgrade

Budget (including currency): 400-700 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, Streaming (Twitch, YouTube, etc etc), Streaming (services like Netflix, Prime, Pureflix to get my Bible man nostalgia fix)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I do wanna play at 1440p if possible, and I think due to my old CPU or Mobo, I'm bottlenecking games if I go to high 1080p or medium 1440p on some games (and then some games like Alan Wake 2 are borderline unplayable due to using an HDD), COD lags at anything that isn't 1080p low. 

I'm using my TV whenever my PC is in my room, or two old DVI monitors whenever fiance and best friend wanna play Diablo 3 (I have HDMI to DVI and it works well) 

(Currently out and about so if there's generic information it'll be updated when I'm home)

Current CPU: Ryzen 2600 

Current Ram Amount and speed: 32 GB 3200 MZH 

Mobo: A320M 

GPU: RX6600 8gb

PSU: 800Watt modular80+gold (I forgot the exact one, will update when home)

Storage: 500gb m.2, 2tb 5000rpm HDD

I know for a fact I need a Mobo and CPU upgrade, potentially storage if I wanna play Alan Wake II on my PC instead of using my fiance's. 

I just don't know if I wanna remain AMD or switch to Intel, and if I need to upgrade my storage or just keep deleting games when done to make room for new ones when I play them. 

Any advice? Obviously I'm not going "haha upgrade for me!" I like to get suggestions from others and go from there. (it's how I built my first PC. Other than my case that was given to me, every part was purchased after my own research and suggestions from friends/family) 

Oh, I also am currently air cooled, I forgot which air cooler (I can find it when I'm home), should I keep being air cooled or no? (It really hasn't been a problem, I don't keep my side panel on, I'm more asking performance wise) 

I don't plan to overclock manually (except enabling xmp which is technically an overclock). 

Edited by Inmento
Forgot to add in resolution

Given your limited budget, a CPU+mainboard upgrade is all you can get I'm afraid. My suggestion, staying on AMD AM4: a B550 mainboard with 5700X or better, as budget allows, reusing your RAM, GPU (which is fine!) and PSU. Alternatively, consider the Aliexpress route with the Erying Intel mainboards:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005279532602.html

Intel mobile chips in a desktop setting. Gaming performance will differ between these options, but I don't know how much and in whose favour.

AM5, while better, is out of reach due to your limited budget. So is 14th gen Intel stuff.

I recommend staying on air-cooling, w/c is another big expense and unless overclocking is your thing (you already stated it isn't) the performance benefit is simply not there for stock setups.

You can reuse your M.2 drive as well as the 2TB storage drive in your new (upgraded) system. That said, you may want to investigate installing another M.2 drive as cache for the HDD so games you play often have a (semi-) permanent residence on said M.2 drive to decrease loading times and thus improve gameplay. A 1TB DRAM-less NVMe drive is about 50-60USD, might be a little more where you are, but certainly under 100 Canadian bucks.

HTH!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I would start with a CPU and Motherboard upgrade. An RX6600 is still a good GPU, and your RAM is good fast DDR4. And you can get a 2tb drive and still stay under your $700 limit, for example:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($218.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG400 BK ARGB 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.05 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($145.96 @ shopRBC) 
Total: $618.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 16:14 EST-0500

39 minutes ago, Inmento said:

Budget (including currency): 400-700 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, Streaming (Twitch, YouTube, etc etc), Streaming (services like Netflix, Prime, Pureflix to get my Bible man nostalgia fix)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I do wanna play at 1440p if possible, and I think due to my old CPU or Mobo, I'm bottlenecking games if I go to high 1080p or medium 1440p on some games (and then some games like Alan Wake 2 are borderline unplayable due to using an HDD), COD lags at anything that isn't 1080p low. 

I'm using my TV whenever my PC is in my room, or two old DVI monitors whenever fiance and best friend wanna play Diablo 3 (I have HDMI to DVI and it works well) 

(Currently out and about so if there's generic information it'll be updated when I'm home)

Current CPU: Ryzen 2600 

Current Ram Amount and speed: 32 GB 3200 MZH 

Mobo: A320M 

GPU: RX6600 8gb

PSU: 800Watt modular80+gold (I forgot the exact one, will update when home)

Storage: 500gb m.2, 2tb 5000rpm HDD

I know for a fact I need a Mobo and CPU upgrade, potentially storage if I wanna play Alan Wake II on my PC instead of using my fiance's. 

I just don't know if I wanna remain AMD or switch to Intel, and if I need to upgrade my storage or just keep deleting games when done to make room for new ones when I play them. 

Any advice? Obviously I'm not going "haha upgrade for me!" I like to get suggestions from others and go from there. (it's how I built my first PC. Other than my case that was given to me, every part was purchased after my own research and suggestions from friends/family) 

Oh, I also am currently air cooled, I forgot which air cooler (I can find it when I'm home), should I keep being air cooled or no? (It really hasn't been a problem, I don't keep my side panel on, I'm more asking performance wise) 

I don't plan to overclock manually (except enabling xmp which is technically an overclock). 

Hello... If you reuse your everything except your CPU, Motherboard, and GPU I have a new Platform for you. It might bring a lot of criticism but it will bring you to a whole new level of Gaming. I was able to find you a new CPU, Motherboard, and GPU.

I went with the Intel Core i5 12400f and the ASRock B760 PRO RS D4. For the GPU, and this is the part that might make some people not like it but I was able to get you a 16GB GPU, the ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Arc A770 16GB. This will allow you to play your Games at really high FPS in 1080p and 1440p. I know a lot of people don't like them but they really have improved on the problems they had with Drivers if not totally fixed them. Even though most people overlook these GPUs they are still great especially for people with a really limited budget.

Intel ARC A770 + i5 12400F : Test in 14 Games

Please let me know what you think.

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For future communication I use Discord for much faster response times as I have it open 24/7. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772 I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build process on Discord through Voice or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NksfDZ

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($188.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock B760 Pro RS/D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($90.71 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Arc A770 16 GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $679.20

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

@Dutch_Master@Aaron_T can't he just use a 5600G (or 5700 or even 5700X3D 😛) on his current mb ?

That would be an interesting and cheap upgrade

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

@leclod In theory, yes. But it requires a BIOS update that isn't there (AMD doesn't want 5000 series chips on A320 boards) and given the limited VRM cooling on the A320 boards, the 5700 (there's a decent GPU in the system, no need for a 5600G) cannot be used to its full potential. Hence the B550 recommendation.

In light of what @PC HEROES suggested, there's another alternative from Erying, not a lot more expensive, but certainly more competitive with AMD's offerings:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005279437023.html

Intel i7 12650H based.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

44 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

@leclod In theory, yes. But it requires a BIOS update that isn't there (AMD doesn't want 5000 series chips on A320 boards) and given the limited VRM cooling on the A320 boards, the 5700 (there's a decent GPU in the system, no need for a 5600G) cannot be used to its full potential. Hence the B550 recommendation.

I don't understand, I just downloaded the needed 7.20 Bios.

There's often use for a 2nd graphics solution in a system, 5600G is a decent option. Or don't you have a spare tyre in your car ?

That motherboard is cleared for way hungrier cpus (105W) so it should be fine with the likes of 5700 (65W).

Edited by leclod

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($188.50 @ Vuugo) 
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG400 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Motherboard: *ASRock B760 Pro RS/D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($90.71 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: *TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($74.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $379.19
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 18:01 EST-0500

1 hour ago, Why_Me said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: *TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($74.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $379.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 18:01 EST-0500

Interesting suggestion, can I ask why a ram kit? Your suggestion is complete fire (in case my lingo makes no sense, fire = good) but I'm just curious about another ram kit. If I use my own, but go with your suggestion, I save around 74.99 before taxes. 

3 hours ago, PC HEROES said:

Hello... If you reuse your everything except your CPU, Motherboard, and GPU I have a new Platform for you. It might bring a lot of criticism but it will bring you to a whole new level of Gaming. I was able to find you a new CPU, Motherboard, and GPU.

I went with the Intel Core i5 12400f and the ASRock B760 PRO RS D4. For the GPU, and this is the part that might make some people not like it but I was able to get you a 16GB GPU, the ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Arc A770 16GB. This will allow you to play your Games at really high FPS in 1080p and 1440p. I know a lot of people don't like them but they really have improved on the problems they had with Drivers if not totally fixed them. Even though most people overlook these GPUs they are still great especially for people with a really limited budget.

Intel ARC A770 + i5 12400F : Test in 14 Games

Please let me know what you think.

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For future communication I use Discord for much faster response times as I have it open 24/7. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772 I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build process on Discord through Voice or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NksfDZ

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($188.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock B760 Pro RS/D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($90.71 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Arc A770 16 GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $679.20

Interesting build, are Intel drivers still being updated for older games? I know Intel drivers work well for newer games but some older games had issues. (I don't remember /what/ games specifically) I go back and forth between things around the era of Borderlands 2 and Alan Wake II. 

3 hours ago, Aaron_T said:

I would start with a CPU and Motherboard upgrade. An RX6600 is still a good GPU, and your RAM is good fast DDR4. And you can get a 2tb drive and still stay under your $700 limit, for example:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($218.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG400 BK ARGB 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.05 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($145.96 @ shopRBC) 
Total: $618.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 16:14 EST-0500

This was a good suggestion, when I get home I'm going to compare the air cooler you linked with mine. Not saying your pick is bad, I try to save where I can. 

That drive is good, I have a wdblue 500gb m.2, don't know which specific one though. That black drive would definitely be a good addition/upgrade in my system. 

3 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Given your limited budget, a CPU+mainboard upgrade is all you can get I'm afraid. My suggestion, staying on AMD AM4: a B550 mainboard with 5700X or better, as budget allows, reusing your RAM, GPU (which is fine!) and PSU. Alternatively, consider the Aliexpress route with the Erying Intel mainboards:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005279532602.html

Intel mobile chips in a desktop setting. Gaming performance will differ between these options, but I don't know how much and in whose favour.

AM5, while better, is out of reach due to your limited budget. So is 14th gen Intel stuff.

I recommend staying on air-cooling, w/c is another big expense and unless overclocking is your thing (you already stated it isn't) the performance benefit is simply not there for stock setups.

You can reuse your M.2 drive as well as the 2TB storage drive in your new (upgraded) system. That said, you may want to investigate installing another M.2 drive as cache for the HDD so games you play often have a (semi-) permanent residence on said M.2 drive to decrease loading times and thus improve gameplay. A 1TB DRAM-less NVMe drive is about 50-60USD, might be a little more where you are, but certainly under 100 Canadian bucks.

HTH!

Thanks for the input. I could probably Google it but I'm on my way to work right now and am too lazy, how would I go about doing that last thing you suggested, making another m.2 be a sort of cache for the HDD? 

@Inmento I just now noticed you have a set of DD4 3200 after you mentioned it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Total: $304.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 19:44 EST-0500

Just now, Why_Me said:

@Inmento I just now noticed you have a set of DD4 3200 after you mentioned it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Total: $304.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 19:44 EST-0500

Ah, no worries. Yeah my post was kind of all over the place. My apologies for that. Hopefully my response didn't come off as rude? I was just genuinely curious. 

Just now, Inmento said:

Ah, no worries. Yeah my post was kind of all over the place. My apologies for that. Hopefully my response didn't come off as rude? I was just genuinely curious. 

I'm to blame for not reading your post correctly ^^

11 hours ago, Inmento said:

Did you consider my idea ?

Upgrading to a 5600G (5700 or even 5700X3D 😛) on your current mb would be an elegant upgrade.

Of which the 12400F merely a clumsy sidestep is.

Edited by leclod