Should I flip my reverse fan on the PSU shroud?

gameoholic

Should I flip my reverse fan on the PSU shroud, that came with the case?

I've been told that that fan is pulling air down in the psu chamber, and the gpu is trying to push air in itself and is gonna fight that fan for fresh air, so I need to flip it
Just wanted to make sure that is indeed what I need to do, ty :)

that fan is oriented to blow air upward

also fans don't fight each other for air unless the earth literally runs out of air

Welcome to the forums!

Double check that it IS a reverse fan (power up the PC and just feel if it's spitting out air) and you'll have your answer

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

fans don't fight each other for air unless the earth literally runs out of air

Ish. All in or all out does mean they'll spin up higher, being more loud, to get the same cooling, but by and large correct

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

4 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!

Double check that it IS a reverse fan (power up the PC and just feel if it's spitting out air) and you'll have your answer

Thank you! It definitely is spitting out air, so should I flip it or nah? 😛

4 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!

Just based on the blades alone it looks like a reverse fan pulling air from the psu chamber.

And looks like the psu fan is also facing down so no issues there.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

also fans don't fight each other for air unless the earth literally runs out of air

that's not how things work, unfortunately. two fans opposing each other in a relatively tight space will defenately impact each other's performance. now.. how much it impacts temperature is up for debate, but two fans with intakes right opposed to each other is just not a good idea.

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

that fan is oriented to blow air upward

it appears so - @gameoholic please verify which direction this fan blows, because if it's blowing up, it's actually helping the GPU, and you should probably keep it as is.

1 minute ago, gameoholic said:

Keep it as is. Most people don't even know that reverse fans exist. I sometimes forget myself. 

1 minute ago, gameoholic said:

if the psu is the only thing in that chamber then that fan seems to be doing very little other than just blowing some sort of air on the gpu.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that's not how things work, unfortunately. two fans opposing each other in a relatively tight space will defenately impact each other's performance. now.. how much it impacts temperature is up for debate, but two fans with intakes right opposed to each other is just not a good idea.

it appears so - @gameoholic please verify which direction this fan blows, because if it's blowing up, it's actually helping the GPU, and you should probably keep it as is.

I put my hand on top of it and I feel air, guessing that settles it then? So I won't change it right?, ty all so much for the help

because some people decide that disagreeing must be some sort of personal vendetta.. some proof;

you'll have to excuse the quite mismatched fans, they were just the top of my bin, but here we see both fans working just fine sitting side by side:

image.thumb.png.13f4583e7768ca7af15e393e83f78354.png

and here we see the same fans sitting opposed to each other, where despite both fans spinning, the left one essentially does not move any air at all, and the fan on the right is severely reduced as well.

image.png.f550fdf879773bea82d58f7c65aeaa49.png

it's got nothing to do with some sort of personal vendetta or hitting on specific categories of forum users.. if you say something that i know to be provably false, i will reply and claim so.

and for the sake of the topic.. here's the wimpy fan being blown into by the stronger fan, and we can indeed observe that more air is being moved than just the weak fan's result, but the height of the paper is roughly in line with the strong fan's result, so two mismatched fans is most likely not better than the best fan's results for an open air scenario.

image.thumb.png.f87bfce3ca3ccd17c36ffaf3dcebc7e0.png

case in point.. fans interact will fight for air, quite heavily so in some circumstances.

now.. another thing i want to add - subjective at that.. is that with the fans opposing each other, there was signficiantly more wind noise, indicating turbulence. this change wasnt noticed having them both pointed the same way. the strong fan is a whiny mess so it's difficult to measure this, so it's just a subjective footnote in this test.

You should do 3 things: 

1) Check for arrows on the frame of the fan - they’ll tell you the air direction. (Though, it does look it’s pointing upward).

2) Benchtest the GPU with the arrow pointed upward.

3) Benchtest the GPU with the fan disabled.

& what I think will be step 4) Remove the fan, & save yourself the noise/clutter, because I don’t think it’ll make much difference.

On 1/11/2024 at 10:58 AM, manikyath said:

because some people decide that disagreeing must be some sort of personal vendetta.. some proof;

you'll have to excuse the quite mismatched fans, they were just the top of my bin, but here we see both fans working just fine sitting side by side:

image.thumb.png.13f4583e7768ca7af15e393e83f78354.png

and here we see the same fans sitting opposed to each other, where despite both fans spinning, the left one essentially does not move any air at all, and the fan on the right is severely reduced as well.

image.png.f550fdf879773bea82d58f7c65aeaa49.png

it's got nothing to do with some sort of personal vendetta or hitting on specific categories of forum users.. if you say something that i know to be provably false, i will reply and claim so.

and for the sake of the topic.. here's the wimpy fan being blown into by the stronger fan, and we can indeed observe that more air is being moved than just the weak fan's result, but the height of the paper is roughly in line with the strong fan's result, so two mismatched fans is most likely not better than the best fan's results for an open air scenario.

image.thumb.png.f87bfce3ca3ccd17c36ffaf3dcebc7e0.png

case in point.. fans interact will fight for air, quite heavily so in some circumstances.

now.. another thing i want to add - subjective at that.. is that with the fans opposing each other, there was signficiantly more wind noise, indicating turbulence. this change wasnt noticed having them both pointed the same way. the strong fan is a whiny mess so it's difficult to measure this, so it's just a subjective footnote in this test.

I agree with you. Fans working at odds with each other produce conflict. 

It is probably useful to know if the first fan in a line of fans should be stronger or weaker than the others...

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 1/15/2024 at 5:35 AM, RevGAM said:

I agree with you. Fans working at odds with each other produce conflict. 

It is probably useful to know if the first fan in a line of fans should be stronger or weaker than the others...

If you’re going through a restriction, you want the stronger fan pulling.

If there’s no restriction, get rid of the weaker fan.

8 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

If you’re going through a restriction, you want the stronger fan pulling.

If there’s no restriction, get rid of the weaker fan.

Thanks! I was asking because when I was running my tests on my U12A, I noticed a difference but didn't pursue my curiosity. 😉

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂