I have a Toshiba ty-hru30 and I can't connect my phone to it to play sound. Could anyone help?

So I have a Toshiba ty-hru30, and whenever I plug it into my phone via usb, android does prompt for me to choose between using it for charging, file transfer/android auto, and PTP. However, whenever I choose the file transfer option, it refuses to change, instead having the prompt come up and disappear several times in quick succession, before reverting back to charging. It should technically work as it'll work with a thumb drive, so if anyone could pls post some advice it would be very much appreciated. I have not tried another phone yet, I am planning to once I get back home.

Does this device advertise audio playback via Android phones over USB? Does it not have Bluetooth or a basic 3.5mm auxiliary input?

Welcome to the forums!
When you connect the USB, does the phone ask you what kind of connection you want to make? You'll have to set it as a mass storage device, then follow the guidelines in the speaker's manual as to how it wants the directory structure so it can play back. 
It's possible you are out of luck, but you might be able to get it to work

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

21 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!
When you connect the USB, does the phone ask you what kind of connection you want to make? You'll have to set it as a mass storage device, then follow the guidelines in the speaker's manual as to how it wants the directory structure so it can play back. 
It's possible you are out of luck, but you might be able to get it to work

It does, the problem is that when I set it as a mass storage device, it my phone glitches out and it goes back to charging only. I also don't have the manual unfortunately.

https://5.imimg.com/data5/SELLER/Doc/2022/1/CI/RN/OY/14435162/toshiba-ty-hru30-multi-band-usb-radio-black-.pdf 

URL seems sketchy but the manual isn't all that helpful. Relevant bit: 

image.png.6b4c691c9f477764472be18fbe77b2f9.png

Seems it should read MP3's from a FAT32 file system. Really meant for a USB stick or something, probably 15 years ago.

Crickey. FAT? Yeah, I think you'd have better luck with a bluetooth radio adapter.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Does this device advertise audio playback via Android phones over USB? Does it not have Bluetooth or a basic 3.5mm auxiliary input?

It does have a 3.5mm input, but no Bluetooth. There is no advertised playback via android either, so I'm kinda nervous on whether this will work. But I am rather confident since I am prompted by my phone to transfer files.

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

https://5.imimg.com/data5/SELLER/Doc/2022/1/CI/RN/OY/14435162/toshiba-ty-hru30-multi-band-usb-radio-black-.pdf 

URL seems sketchy but the manual isn't all that helpful. Relevant bit: 

image.png.6b4c691c9f477764472be18fbe77b2f9.png

Seems it should read MP3's from a FAT32 file system. Really meant for a USB stick or something, probably 15 years ago.

I see, thank you then. Does it mean that it can play files from windows though?

2 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Crickey. FAT? Yeah, I think you'd have better luck with a bluetooth radio adapter.

Sounds promising, but how would it work?

Just now, Extra28 said:

I see, thank you then. Does it mean that it can play files from windows though?

Its intended to be used with a FAT formatted USB stick. It'll just play MP3's dropped on it. 

Just now, Extra28 said:

Sounds promising, thanks!

Alright, thanks for the help, I'm going to buy a Bluetooth radio adapter and hope it works. Worst case scenario, I've wasted ~6 dollars