Fan certifications

RevGAM

Whilst working on my inventory of 300+ fans and reviewing them, I record the certifications that I can identify in my database. The most common are CE, ROHS, UL (which has two different symbols I know of, one that looks like RU flipped), TUV, UKCA, CEA and FCC. There are a few others and I found the RCM logo yesterday from Australia/NZ, which is a checkmark inside of a circle inside of a triangle. However, others prove difficult to identify. Can anyone tell me where to find out what these are?

For example:

• There are two that I've seen on several fans, one of which is clearly Mandarin and the other is some other type of Asian script. I have no idea what they are. These aren't that common but I've seen them several times, although not always together. The Aerocool Dead Silence 120 Red DS-120mm Red, A1225L12 has both of the Asian certs.
  • There's also a solid circle with a checkmark that extends to and erases the border of the circle to the right without extending outwards.
  • There are various others that seem to be related to recycling, most of which are triangular or circular.
  • A couple of times, I've come across a cert logo that has "N#####" with it. When I search for the number (e.g. N17266), all I find are results related to airplanes.

Can anyone help?

Edited by RevGAM
Added Aerocool example for Asian certs.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

of all the things you asked about fans.. with this one i'm gonna tell you quite bluntly.. WHY?

these certs mean nothing, jack shyte, fudge all, it's a void.

essentially, the only thing that matters is that they at least bothered to cert with a few organizations, but which ones and past 'a few' the amount of them is irrelevant.

you are *actually* wasting your time here.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

of all the things you asked about fans.. with this one i'm gonna tell you quite bluntly.. WHY?

essentially, the only thing that matters is that they at least bothered to cert with a few organizations, but which ones and past 'a few' the amount of them is irrelevant.

Ok, you've got my attention and curiosity. Why do you say this?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

10 minutes ago, manikyath said:

To answer your question, though, often when I fail to document something, I end up having to go back and document it. I hate that. It stresses me out, so I'd rather spend a few seconds per fan now than a long time later going back through every source. And, who knows, once I release access to my databases, it may be of use to someone...? Or not!

11 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Ok, you've got my attention and curiosity. Why do you say this?

because that is the way it is. the certs have some basic requirements to be allowed to have them on your device, but past stuff like "things that are plugged in the mains should actually be mains rated" it doesnt really mean more than "they bothered".

like - never trust a mains power cable that doesnt have *any* certs on it.. but if it has CE, and a few local certs from vareous countries, it essentially becomes irrelevant which countries, and how many of them.

we're also discussing a "component" - not a finished product. for how little these certs matter for finished products, they're essentially meaningless at the component level. 

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

because that is the way it is. the certs have some basic requirements to be allowed to have them on your device, but past stuff like "things that are plugged in the mains should actually be mains rated" it doesnt really mean more than "they bothered".

like - never trust a mains power cable that doesnt have *any* certs on it.. but if it has CE, and a few local certs from vareous countries, it essentially becomes irrelevant which countries, and how many of them.

we're also discussing a "component" - not a finished product. for how little these certs matter for finished products, they're essentially meaningless at the component level. 

Fantastic! I knew I could count on you for a concise and useful explanation. Thanks!

Can you help me with my OCD about this? 😉

Just now, RevGAM said:

Can you help me with my OCD about this? 😉

if you actually cannot live life without documenting the certs on computer fans, see a therapist.

Just now, manikyath said:

if you actually cannot live life without documenting the certs on computer fans, see a therapist.

And here I thought you were going to suggest I sit in front of a magical Rowenta space heater. 😜 🤣

56 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

A couple of times, I've come across a cert logo that has "N#####" with it

You sure thats supposed to be numbers? Pretty unfortunate amount of numbers if you ask me

51 minutes ago, manikyath said:

^^^

I mean a fan is just a dc or ac motor with some blades attatched to em, only thing you can evaluate is its noise and its airflow capability/performance (static pressure, airspeed)

rohs and stuff like that isnt something the ordinary person cares about, its just the things they can see and observe for themselves like the aformentioned noise and performance

Whatd be more helpful for the majority of ppl into fans is probs stuff like deciphering the part numbers and what they mean

For example on an avc fan lets say desa09238b2m

092 = 92mm diameter

38 = 38mm thickness

Specs = 92mm diameter 38mm thickness 12v 

2b09238b24m

092 = 92mm diameter

38 = 38mm thickness

24 = 24v

Specs = 92mm diameter 38mm thickness 24v 0.57a

da09238b24h

092 = 92mm diameter

38 = 38mm thickness

24 = 24v

Specs = 92mm diameter 38mm thickness 24v 0.7a

data1238b8h

12 = 12cm

38 = 38mm thickness

Specs = 120mm diameter 38mm thickness 48v 0.33a

What the heck do the rest of the letters and numbers mean?

Like at the start of the part number 2b da data desa, or the letter at the end of the part number like u h m, cause my only guess now would be something related to what the fans optimized for wether its static pressure, airflow, etc.

Fan part numbers are alot more confusing than ram part numbers since ram part numbers are pretty simple for the most part, the die/ic could be near the end or at the end of the part number, the density and rank configuration can be in the middle or beginning of the part number

As an example

M378b2873gb0

M378 = desktop udimm 

B = ddr3

2873 = 1gb single rank

g = g die

hmt351u6cfr8c

hmt = ddr3

351 = 4gb dual rank

u6 = desktop udimm

cfr = hynix cfr

There simply isnt as much variety and the only things that really matter are the rank configuration, capacity, and ic

Whereas fans you have lots of other variables and there are many many manufacturers with different codes and such, and fans arent as easy to quantify as rams either cause with a simple look on the part number you know what capacity rank config bin and ic it has whereas fans you have static pressure airflow and etc. Optimizations, the variables arent as set in stone nor as easy to quantify

so if i was looking for a high static pressure fan and just picked desa09238b2m randomly i wouldnt know any better aside from looking at it what the fans actually optimized for and i wouldnt know any better if maybe da09238b24h would actually suit my needs better

So deciphering the part numbers would be a pretty big help especially since theres lots of cheap maybe even free server fans laying around thatd outperfom even an arctic p12 max, obviously thatd usually be the thick server fans but other than absolutely tiny cases they dont really care about fan thickness and anyone that doesnt run really tall rams or run an aio can problably use a server fan on their cpu cooler (besides why the hell are 25mm standard even for heatsinks?)

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You sure thats supposed to be numbers? Pretty unfortunate amount of numbers if you ask me

Yup. Why is that unfortunate? Underwriter Laboratories certs are E######.

Fan model numbers are confusing because there's also a separate number printed on most fan hub labels. For some brands, that refers to the frame but I recently came across two different brands that had nothing I could see that was identical, so maybe the number referred to the bearings? Cooler Master Blade Master 120 and the Cougar Vortex VK120 (which is overpriced, but not as badly as the VX120). From one product line to another, a company may adopt a new numbering system, too. Grrr 😠

Evercool cares, @Somerandomtechyboi! 😉

image.png.0446bdb8bace9c0457de9d307e177b62.png

16 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Yup. Why is that unfortunate? Underwriter Laboratories certs are E######.

I do not know what word would fit in E###### but everyone knows what word fits in N##### and i totally did a double take when i saw that until you put an example with numbers and not letters

18 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Fan model numbers are confusing because there's also a separate number printed on most fan hub labels. For some brands, that refers to the frame but I recently came across two different brands that had nothing I could see that was identical, so maybe the number referred to the bearings? Cooler Master Blade Master 120 and the Cougar Vortex VK120 (which is overpriced, but not as badly as the VX120). From one product line to another, a company may adopt a new numbering system, too. Grrr 😠

Yea maybe its best to just look at the thing and its visible specs rather than the model number

4 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Evercool cares, @Somerandomtechyboi! 😉

image.png.0446bdb8bace9c0457de9d307e177b62.png

What the hell is special high motor speed or fourfold high?

im kinda curious if there are any fans that are >38mm in thickness cause i mainly see 25mm and 38mm thickness fans, think theyd be nice on a heatsink

17 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I do not know what word would fit in E###### but everyone knows what word fits in N##### and i totally did a double take when i saw that until you put an example with numbers and not letters

Here in the US, we use # (especially if you know programming, database searches, etc.) to represent numbers. If I had been using the N word, which I wouldn't do, I would've written N*****, which is how we do that here. # is typically used for search masks to represent just one number 0-9.

19 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What the hell is special high motor speed or fourfold high?

im kinda curious if there are any fans that are >38mm in thickness cause i mainly see 25mm and 38mm thickness fans, think theyd be nice on a heatsink

Isn't it obvious? It's so special and top-secret that you'd have to get eyes only clearance from the NSA to know. 😉

Yes, there are some over 38mm, but you'd have to look at places like Digikeys to find them.

13 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Here in the US, we use # (especially if you know programming, database searches, etc.) to represent numbers. If I had been using the N word, which I wouldn't do, I would've written N*****, which is how we do that here. # is typically used for search masks to represent just one number 0-9.

I mean a normie could still mistake it as censoring a word so its still funny cause its so unfortunate and unintentional

12 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Isn't it obvious? It's so special and top-secret that you'd have to get eyes only clearance from the NSA to know. 😉

Yes, there are some over 38mm, but you'd have to look at places like Digikeys to find them.

I just use my local eshop and theres a bunch of em used though the 12v ones are pretty expensive

i looked at manufatur model numbers and they some times match the docs and some times dont... so its hit and miss. pluse if you google a fan model number and get nothing then what 🤷‍♂️

i looked at this long time ago looking got the best server fan as alot of people said there cheap and good but could not provide a model of witch were good and witch can be under volted... so i looked up alot of fans have to doc somewhere but all came down to the gentle typhoon at the time. but i dint want to spend $20 a fan. looked in to alot of fans on rads and the debate of $20 fans vs $5 fan and a thicker rad. the money spent on more rads was better then more on fans. more cooling per doller. if you have the space. and rads got REAL THICCC back in the day like 120mm thick +25mm shroud cuzz why not + 25mm fan 2x 2 for puch pull and your at a eye watering 220mm rad.... not to include the tfc 55mm fans...🤷‍♂️

thats were then 30mm thick rad was stander as wit worked best with cheap fans. (now a days 27mmish...)

then the market changed. no more did people compare specs for profromance. and alot of reviewers lost there jobs.

this made it so company's are not competing witch each other so everyone can have products not just the top ones.

thats why there like a million fans these days and they make so much moeny everyone wants fans on the market. its like 99% prophet. 

anyway...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Why are you milking all of the forums for info to put on your toob channels 🧐

😛

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

is it wrong of me to suggest that you ( @RevGAM ) take ur tests / reviews to "part2" with usefull tests and data before getting 301 fans? 🙂 

and i wanna repeat this: 

On 1/6/2024 at 1:19 PM, manikyath said:

10 hours ago, freeagent said:

Why are you milking all of the forums for info to put on your toob channels 🧐

😛

Milking, eh? If that's how you feel, why's you invite me there?

My bad, I thought we were here trying to give answers to other people. I didn't realize that there was some kind of moratorium for YTers. I guess someone should have told me that a long time ago. Cerberus must've been asleep at the gate.

4 hours ago, NorKris said:

is it wrong of me to suggest that you ( @RevGAM ) take ur tests / reviews to "part2" with usefull tests and data before getting 301 fans? 🙂 

No. Just like it wasn't wrong when I encouraged you to make your test data public. With all the knowledge you've got, it should be easy for you.

I'm still learning and I want to do the testing right within the limited budget I've got while boycotting Amazon, my employer. 

5 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Milking, eh? If that's how you feel, why's you invite me there?

My bad, I thought we were here trying to give answers to other people. I didn't realize that there was some kind of moratorium for YTers. I guess someone should have told me that a long time ago. Cerberus must've been asleep at the gate.

At the time I did not know what your intentions were.. It isn't a big deal, I just thought I would call you out on it, since you have no qualms about calling me out 🙂

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

4 hours ago, NorKris said:

and i wanna repeat this: 

On 1/6/2024 at 7:19 AM, manikyath said:

It takes me a few seconds to write down fan certs, and if that helps some people, then it's not a waste.

Similar kinds of comments were made to wildly successful people when they got the idea that built their brand. Am I going to be one of those people? I'm not arrogant, so I'll say no. But I'm not going to stop trying... that's when one fails. 

If I listened to everyone who tried to shoot me down, I'd probably be a drug addict by now. Or dead. 

Just now, freeagent said:

At the time I did not know what your intentions were.. It isn't a big deal, I just thought I would call you out on it, since you have no qualms about calling me out 🙂

If you're talking about the Aussie, I was only joking. I thought the emoticons made that clear. My mistake. Sorry.

My intentions are the same as most other people: to learn. I'm a lifelong learner. There is no law or rule that says that people can't make use of their knowledge to try and escape the 9-5 drudgery. If that were the case, then there'd be no point at all to living.

I am grateful for the forums because they've taught me many things, but they are not the only resource I've learned from. Some things, however, I can't learn from those resources because  one can't search for what you don't know you don't know. 

50 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

No. Just like it wasn't wrong when I encouraged you to make your test data public.

true, but my testing was 2 or 3 diff RPMs and allways the same RPM, and i didnt "publish" cuz ppl was going to be like:
"why didnt you.........." 🙂

my point was more that: i feel u should spend ur time exploring what these fans can do on Radiators and tower coolers more so then chasing "Certifications",  thats my 3cent-Certification

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

true, but my testing was 2 or 3 diff RPMs and allways the same RPM, and i didnt "publish" cuz ppl was going to be like:
"why didnt you.........." 🙂

my point was more that: i feel u should spend ur time exploring what these fans can do on Radiators and tower coolers more so then chasing "Certifications",  thats my 3cent-Certification

Well, I think you shouldn't worry what people will say and, instead, decide whether the above is something you want to do. There is no way to please everyone. 

My problem is that I struggle with anxiety.  I'm not good at video editing, much less making things look appealing, and I struggle with graphmaking, so those things make me anxious. And then I start procrastinating because I'm anxious. And that makes me stressed. It's a challenge I struggle with daily. 

I have a few test videos that I completed months ago except editing and graphs, and my anxiety keeps stopping me, when I am not just forgetful. It's very frustrating. 

I also have blood sugar issues that can severely impact me physically and mentally, although I don't have diabetes. It's just the spikes and crashes have gotten pretty bad.