Need a simple home NAS...

So today is the day it finally happened, I had a hdd go bad in my PC and I lost a lot of data and personal photos. Have been meaning to get a NAS for a while but I think I need it asap. Currently trying to do a recovery to see what I can retrieve.

I was wanting to try the NAS software that Linus has mentioned on the WAN show as it seems simple and reliable and I can get cheep secondhand hardware easily, but I think that might be to far off at this point.

Can I get some recommendations on some good simple NAS's, I don't need excessive amounts of storage, just something redundant.

Thank you in advanced

Lexie

How much usable space do you want? Do you want diy or prebuilt?

Do you have a budget in mind?

If you can get cheap used hardware its pretty easy to put some drives in there and setup a simple nas.

You don't really need a NAS, what you need is a backup solution. A NAS itself is not a backup. Checkout BackBlaze. Really cheap unlimited cloud storage. They can ship out up to 8TB drives for recovery purposes. You can also download about 500GB of data at a time from their downloader.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

A corporate desktop PC with two large-capacity hard drives in a mirror would be a great home server platform to start with. 

I run TrueNAS Scale on my home server. It's fine.

Just remember that RAID is not a backup, and a NAS is not a backup. RAID is insurance against having to restore from your backups. (ZFS snapshots are a good tool to protect against minor file mishaps and accidental deletions.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much usable space do you want? Do you want diy or prebuilt?

Do you have a budget in mind?

If you can get cheap used hardware its pretty easy to put some drives in there and setup a simple nas.

Honestly not much probably about 2tb, if i can do a DIY easily I am fine with that, but if a prebuilt means I don't have to mess around with setting to get what I want that would be better. Just talking to my partner about it and she would like if we could both have our own private folders that we could login to. Ideally something that would work with both android and iPhone apps so we can load our photos directly too it. 

Also I live in Australia and were I live doesn't have the best internet speeds. As someone else mentioned I do need a backup solution also, but when internet speeds aren't fantastic it can make it a bit of a challange.

13 minutes ago, ADR90 said:

Honestly not much probably about 2tb, if i can do a DIY easily I am fine with that, but if a prebuilt means I don't have to mess around with setting to get what I want that would be better. Just talking to my partner about it and she would like if we could both have our own private folders that we could login to. Ideally something that would work with both android and iPhone apps so we can load our photos directly too it. 

Also I live in Australia and were I live doesn't have the best internet speeds. As someone else mentioned I do need a backup solution also, but when internet speeds aren't fantastic it can make it a bit of a challange.

Do you want to access this data across multiple systems?

It seems like setting up backups here would be better than a nas for you. I'd probably get a few external HDDs and rotate them to offsite locations so if your internal hdd has issues you have anouther copy, and previous versions of the data. This seems simpler and cheaper than a nas here.

Honestly, buy a 2tb USB hard drive and use it as your backup drive. 

We like to geekout and tinker with stuff, but if you want a simple cost effective way to backup files, that's it. 

If you have slow internet or not reliable internet doing any kind of remote connectivity as your own "cloud" is asking for frustration and headache. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD