Is it safe to use Curve Optimizer on 5800x3D

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
3 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

So let me know can I use curve optimizer? 

Yes. What's dangerous on those chips is overvolting, and since the curve optimizer (assuming you're using it correctly) undervolts the chip, there's no danger to it. 

Whether or not -30 is actually stable is a different story, not many chips can do that on all cores without crashes at idle. 

Meow Meow humans,

I know you are not supposed to oc the x3d chips from AMD and the amd overclocking pbo page has gone completely in bios (as expected) but the Asus pbo tuner is still available in a limited capacity as in you cant set a mhz boost or set ppt,edt,tdp but you can use the scaler, set max tjp and use the curve optimizer as normal. 

I did see a big improvement as expected with a negative offset -30 with all core boost behaviour but I turned it off in case its damaging in the longevity of the chip.

Thanks in advance and Happy new year I am finally buying a new GPU so lets hope its a good year for gpu releases and pricing, wont hold my breath. 

4 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

Meow Meow humans,

I know you are not supposed to oc the x3d chips from AMD and the amd overclocking pbo page has gone completely in bios (as expected) but the Asus pbo tuner is still available in a limited capacity as in you cant set a mhz boost or set ppt,edt,tdp but you can use the scaler, set max tjp and use the curve optimizer as normal. 

I did see a big improvement as expected with a negative offset -30 with all core boost behaviour but I turned it off in case its damaging in the longevity of the chip.

Thanks in advance and Happy new year I am finally buying a new GPU so lets hope its a good year for gpu releases and pricing, wont hold my breath. 

Yes you can, the -30 offset won't damage the CPU 🙂 

Its safe.

Happy Gaming when you get your new GPU 👍 👍

3 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

Yes. What's dangerous on those chips is overvolting, and since the curve optimizer (assuming you're using it correctly) undervolts the chip, there's no danger to it. 

Whether or not -30 is actually stable is a different story, not many chips can do that on all cores without crashes at idle. 

Whats the aim here,just more Mhz?

Tasks won't benefit much from a tiny increase,the baseline IPC is strong enough.

Because overall the tiny increase isn't going to do much unless your extremely CPU bound in tasks.

Vs the expected GPU bound settings you're likely to be using in games and a few percent or less in allcore workloads no Gaming.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

13 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Whats the aim here,just more Mhz?

Tasks won't benefit much from a tiny increase,the baseline IPC is strong enough.

Because overall the tiny increase isn't going to do much unless your extremely CPU bound in tasks.

Vs the expected GPU bound settings you're likely to be using in games and a few percent or less in allcore workloads no Gaming.

More mhz, less temps, less cpu power draw. 

I am currently using handbrake to convert my media library to save space

(below is all during handbrake)

The all core boost before CO is 4.250mhz now all core boost is 4.450/4.5.

Package Power draw was 130w now its 120w

without the CO it is hitting 91c no thermal throttling but with CO-30 or -25 it barley goes above 80c

But ye i agree its not going to knock much time off my handbrake encodes  or even help much in gaming but at least temps are more acceptable (to me)

I run an all core -28 curve on my 58X3D, and it runs very cool with air or aio.

At 143w my 58X3D is under 80c.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14