Worth upgrading i7-9700K to 14th Gen? (Not a full build)

PhilGoodInc
Go to solution Solved by Levent,

I would personally wait for the new socket.

Budget (including currency): NA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Variety - Forza, Cyberpunk, Starfield, Dishonored Series, Deathloop, Trackmania, Shooters & RPGs, Cities Skylines

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey all,

Firstly, I don't need advice on any specific parts, but just curious on what you would do in my situation.

Ive put together 2 systems recently for my younger brother and shortly after that, one of his friends (both 13th gen) and that upgrading itch/jealousy is still lingering and (being the older brother) I feel like I have to have the better system. I have kind of fallen into a pattern of staggered upgrading the past 10 years or so, upgrading the CPU/Mobo/Ram every 5 gens, and upgrading the GPU somewhere halfway through that. For anyone curious, my old 4th Gen, GTX 970 system is still going strong for minecraft and valorant for my sister. Its having a hell of a run.

I currently have an i7-9700K, 32GB Ram, RTX 3080 and Game at 1440p 144hz. Full parts list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CwfwDZ (yes I have a lot of drives 😅)

I feel compelled to upgrade, however at the same time I haven't really felt my setup struggling until recently during Starfield. I've sort of convinced myself it is just unoptimised and play it anyway. I haven't dabbled in Cities Skylines 2 as I've heard it is a performance hog (and its not a priority anyway.) Cyberpunk played surprisingly well at launch from memory, but i did

Is it worth upgrading to 14th Gen? (either i7-14700K or i9-14900K) or should I just wait it out for 15th Gen? (not interested in AMD). From what I've seen, 14th gen isn't that much better than 13th Gen so I kinda feel like I'm buying into a system that is already over a year old at this point. 

What would you do?

I would personally wait for the new socket.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Or go AM5, are you not interested because of some age old bad experiance?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Likely the end of LGA 1700, I would wait a generation to see what intel has to offer in a new generation or how a refinement of AM5 goes. Especially if you’re going for new stuff, but doubly so if you’re not necessarily looking for the newest of new stuff, as the second there’s a new hardware generation the previous gen gets cheaper. 
Consider right before intel 13th gen launched, you could get higher end Z590 boards for under $100 on sale, new. Because at that point any remaining stock 2 generations old just needed to go. 
The same is likely to happen if they introduce a new socket.

36 minutes ago, PhilGoodInc said:

Budget (including currency): NA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Variety - Forza, Cyberpunk, Starfield, Dishonored Series, Deathloop, Trackmania, Shooters & RPGs, Cities Skylines

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey all,

Firstly, I don't need advice on any specific parts, but just curious on what you would do in my situation.

Ive put together 2 systems recently for my younger brother and shortly after that, one of his friends (both 13th gen) and that upgrading itch/jealousy is still lingering and (being the older brother) I feel like I have to have the better system. I have kind of fallen into a pattern of staggered upgrading the past 10 years or so, upgrading the CPU/Mobo/Ram every 5 gens, and upgrading the GPU somewhere halfway through that. For anyone curious, my old 4th Gen, GTX 970 system is still going strong for minecraft and valorant for my sister. Its having a hell of a run.

I currently have an i7-9700K, 32GB Ram, RTX 3080 and Game at 1440p 144hz. Full parts list: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CwfwDZ (yes I have a lot of drives 😅)

I feel compelled to upgrade, however at the same time I haven't really felt my setup struggling until recently during Starfield. I've sort of convinced myself it is just unoptimised and play it anyway. I haven't dabbled in Cities Skylines 2 as I've heard it is a performance hog (and its not a priority anyway.) Cyberpunk played surprisingly well at launch from memory, but i did

Is it worth upgrading to 14th Gen? (either i7-14700K or i9-14900K) or should I just wait it out for 15th Gen? (not interested in AMD). From what I've seen, 14th gen isn't that much better than 13th Gen so I kinda feel like I'm buying into a system that is already over a year old at this point. 

What would you do?

14 gen is great for productivity such as video editing but if this is for gaming then go with Intel 13 gen or AM5.

Lga1700 iz end of life now and well for gaming a 7800x3d is top end stuff but cost effective. That and its actually coolable unlike a 13900k or 14700k where a nhd15 doesn't/barelt stand a chance 😛

Either way if yiu do wanna upgrade id go am5 or wait for new socket and just get an i5 or x3d chip from amd. Dont bother with the top end a 13600k vs 13900k is like within 7% on a 4090 and a 13600k has 0 difficulty maxing a 3080. Or with amd the 7800x3d is the best gaming cpu on the market in 95% of games

22 hours ago, will0hlep said:

Or go AM5, are you not interested because of some age old bad experiance?

It's one of the factors, yes (and more than one bad experience) and my computer is on pretty much all the time as it is my media server also. I have had great stability with Intel, and I am personally not willing to take what I consider a risk switching to AMD.

Seems like consensus is to wait, or go 13th Gen so Im just gonna wait. Thanks for the input!