SAMSUNG S95C CRASHING GPU DRIVER?

kiki4431
Go to solution Solved by circeseye,

dammit i missed your length.....copper 2.1 cables can only do "up to" 6ft (2m) stable at 4k 120 444 or better....beyond 6ft its a crap shoot. grab a optical 2.1 hdmi (fiber optic). all your problems "should" go away

hi

3 days ago I recieved a new s95c 55" tv from Samsung, and for the most part I have no issues with it, at least it works as expected, however (and I am not sure what causes this, I don't think it's the TV), anyway bellow is the detailed description of the issue, and the steps I took, I don't know if it's the cable, or something with my PC...

I already posted this question on AV Forums in dedicated S95C owner's thread, but as I am not certain if the TV or the cable, or the PC is the problem, I am also asking here, any help would be much appreciated.

My PC specs are as follows:
Ryzen 5 7600X
MSI B650 Tomahawk Wi-fi
Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16 GB DDR5 6000 MHz
EVGA RTX 3070TI FTW3 Ultra
Samsung 990PRO 1 TB NVMe SSD (system drive)
Samsung 990PRO 2 TB NVMe SSD (gaming drive)
WD Black 4TB 3.5" SATA HDD (main game library)
WD Book 8TB USB 3.0 External HDD (main movie library)
Corsair RMX750W PSU
Asus VG279Q1A main PC monitor
OS Windows 11 Home, newest edition
All drivers up to date,
BIOS, also latest

The monitor is connected with GPU via 2m DP 1.4 cable
The TV is connected with GPU via 5m HDMI 2.1 cable
The Onkyo HT-R395 AV reciever is connected with GPU via 10m HDMI 1.4 and HDMI to DP adapter (the GPU only has a single HDMI output)
The TV is connected to AV reciever via 3m HDMI 2.0 cable, configured for ARC
The TV itself is connected with OneConnect Box (OCB) with a 2.5m cable recieved with it (there is also a shorter version for mounting OCB to the back of the TV, but that won't be possible in my case)

Here is the issue(s) I have:
When I first connected my PC and TV, the PC recognised it imidietlly, and gave me an option to go 4K 144HZ (143.77 or something actually) and HDR and everything, so I set it up, and leave it for the night, the TV was off, but the PC had to do some tasks, so was left on.
When I get back to it the next morning, there was a notification that my sound output device has changed to SAMSUNG QCQ95S (which is the TV), I returned it back to my speakers, and later turn on the TV (not HDMI just regular broadcast), as soon as the TV was turned on, my PC monitor was started acting up, it went completelly dark, then after few secounds, it was grey-ish, simply "no signal", and than dark again, and it was doing that for about a minute, and than my PC froze completelly (the keyboard and mouse stopped responding, even RGB on my RAM stopped working), I left it like that for 10 minutes, but nothing happened, so I force shut it down on power button.
After I restarted the system, I could no longer even log on, as soon as GPU drivers were loaded, the PC would go to that frozen state, untill I turn off the TV, and restarted the system afterwards, which now alowed me to check event wiever in hopes to find out what happened, what I found was a bunch of errors with NVLDDMKM:

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\0000009d
Resetting TDR occurred on GPUID:100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

After this, I tried to DDU the driver, and clean install the latest version, because, it seems to be driver issue, but that didn't work, I was still getting the same thing, even afterwards.

Than, I went to Tv menu and disabled input signal plus for HDMI4 (the PC port), doing this solved the issue, but I lost 100/120/144 Hz options, and was left on 60Hz, as well as HDR, it would turn on, and imidiettly back off, then I decreased the refresh rate even further (I mean, I won't be gaming, I just want movies, so 30 is fine, most movies are 24 anyway), I still want HDR though.

Going down to 30 automatically somehow enabled HDR, great, now it works, i thought, but no, I'm not that lucky it seems: two minutes later I got BSOD saying "Video scheduler internal error" (BSOD viewer actually says watchdog.sys error 0x00000119), the PC restarted itself a few times, and than I got Inaccessible boot device error, restarted PC again, and had to turn the Tv off, because it still froze, anyway, when I managed to boot it back up, I decreased the refresh rate for TV down to 24 Hz, and now it works, watched a movie, and went to sleep, today, I decided to change the ports on OCB, to see if they are to blame, put the cable on HDMI 1 and than HDMI2, but it still does the same thing, it works on 24Hz and input signal plus option disabled, if I enable input signal plus, there is no signal on TV, the PC still works fine, but it's on 24Hz, If I turn the TV off and back on, the PC freezes again, the Tv says "chack device power", turn the Tv off, restart the PC, now it doesn't freeze, and I get the 100/120/144 options, so I lowered this down to 100Hz, turn on the Tv, still no signal on HDMI, and PC froze again.
repeat, get the system to boot up, go into nVidia control panel, and there I changed resolution from "4kx2k 3840x2160 (native)" under "HD,FHD,UHD" options, scrolled down to "PC" options, and changed the resolution to "3840x2160", this now finally gives the signal to TV, and I was getting 4k 144Hz with 4:4:4 10bit limited and HDR, all working, and now I wanted to decrease the load a bit, and chose 100Hz instead, and that just started it all over again, the Tv lost signal, the main monitor started shifting from black to gray to black again, but the PC didn't froze or anything, this time, it did however decide to ignore TV altogether, so once it was back up, I had 0 options for the TV, it was as if it's disconnected.
Restarted the system, and the Tv was there, but the input signal plus automatically disabled so it was 24Hz again, enabling input signal plus, freezes the PC.

As I was writting this, the monitor restarted itself twice actually, the TV is off now, but it's connected, wierd.

I don't know what to do at this point, maybe someone can help me out, I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Edit: I mean, I would just run it at 24Hz and input signal plus disabled, but TV says that if you want HDR you need input signal plus enabled, so I am not sure if I am getting HDR, even though it's enabled on my PC.

your trying to run hdmi 2.1 res with a hdmi 2.0 cable for one thing. 2.0 cant do 4k 120htz 444 10bit much less 144htz without issues.
hdmi 2.0 can do up to 4k 60htz 444 8bit (maybe 10bit with quality cable)

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

Honestly this sounds like a dud cable. Got another random hdmi cable to try?

The cable is new, and I did test it with a tester to make sure the contacts are good, and is not shorted or damaged. It's wierd that a cable can make such issues, but it wouldn't supprise me though, after other wierd issues, I experienced, anyway, I did get a 3m and a 5m cable, just in case, I will try the 3m one tomorow, but it will require me to either move my whole PC setup to the TV room, or move the TV and OCB to PC room, I will report back on that.

3 hours ago, circeseye said:

your trying to run hdmi 2.1 res with a hdmi 2.0 cable for one thing. 2.0 cant do 4k 120htz 444 10bit much less 144htz without issues.
hdmi 2.0 can do up to 4k 60htz 444 8bit (maybe 10bit with quality cable)

it's 2.1 cable, or at least that's what it says on the package. I belive that if this were to be a 2.0 cable, I wouldn't be getting 60+ FPS options, but maybe somehow the TV is reporting it's capabilities to GPU, and it just uses that isntead of what bandwidith allows, I don't know about that, that is, how the GPU knows which settings are available.

Thing is, before this I had a Grundig 49" LED TV, which was connected with 2 HDMI 2.0 cables, 3m each, with a repeater in between, and it was working, but to make it work, it only accepted 4K/60Hz (these were the TV's max btw), 4:2:2, and 10-bit with HDR, anything more would do nothing, the settings would just revert back on their own, so even after overloading the cable it wouldn't do all this.

You may be right, that it's not 2.1 cable, but I don't thing it's 2.0 either, heck it's probably not even 1.4, the fact that I have to go all the way down to 24Hz, wierd, still, for just a few secounds, I did managed to make it work on 144Hz, 4k, 4:4:4, and 10 bit with HDR, but as soon as I changed to 100 Hz, it was lost, and now, I can't make them work again.

as I said, even that doesn't trouble me all that much, all I will do is watch movies, which are 24 FPS anyway, and I won't be gaming, on that TV, those features, I know I payed for, but will probably never use them, still, if some day I change my mind, I would like to have them available, the primary reason, I wen't with 2.1 is because of HDR10+ (dynamic HDR), apperentlly, you need 2.1 to have Dynamic HDR support, if that was no issue, I would probably stick with my old 2.0 cables, maybe just ditch the repeater (the OCB comes with the 2.5m cable that goes to the screen itself, so I can put that to where the repeater was, and have a 3m cable going there, but will have to make a shelf, since it's way more havier then the repeater, which was just hanging from the celing, and held by the cables it was attached to.

The downside of OCB, is that the interconnect cable, and OCB itself have a bandwidith of 40GBps (not 48 as per HDMI 2.1 spec), so many people are reporting black-outs, and signal loses while gaming on 120/144 Hz, but that is not what I experience.  

Hello. 

I have a similar problem, I have a TV s95c and a G95SC monitor.

While I am using the monitor, suddenly the image freezes and the mouse and keyboard stop working for a few seconds (5 seconds maximum). This also happens to me while I am playing a game and it is quite annoying. 

I have tried everything, reinstalled drivers, formatted the PC, changed the display port cable to a higher speed one. I even recently upgraded the processor and motherboard but the problem still occurs.

From what you say the problem may be the TV that when connected to the pc may be generating a problem with the nvidia drivers. In fact when formatting or changing windows version and start using only the monitor, the problem stops happening and returns when I connect it for the first time to the S95C. 

I will keep looking for solutions and in case I find any I will come back to comment here.

My specs are:

Ryzen 7 7800x3d
MSI PRO X670-P
G.SKILL Trident Z5 2x16 GB DDR5 6000 MHz
Nvidia 4090 Suprime liquid X
Samsung 990PRO 1 TB NVMe SSD (C:)
Crucial SSD Internal P5 1TB (Games)
Straight Power 11 Platinum 850w
Samsung oddysey B9 G95SC (Monitor)
Samsung S95C (TV)
OS Windows 11 Home
Drivers GPU update
Bios update

Ok, I think I have the culprit, it does seem to be the cable, and even the 3m cable won't work, but with a 3 m cable, I am no longer getting such severe issues, I guess both of these so called "2.1" cables, aren't even 1.4 let alone any better, and with a 5m it's actually the distance that makes it so severe, that the whole PC freezes, with 3m cable all I get is no signal, or the signal is there for a split secound, than I get a black screen, or I get something but heavily distorted, artifacts, etc., the PC works fine though, I can even change things while my TV just blinks.

So with 3m "2.1" cable , the other thing I find wierd, is that actually 144 Hz is the most stable of all, with 144 Hz 4k, 4:4:4, 10-bit and HDR, and with input signal plus enabled on TV, the signal is solid, it wasn't interupted or anything, but the further down I go with refresh rate, it's more and more unstable, at 30 Hz, I can't get a signal at all, what I did get with 144 Hz, is some color issues, washed out and things, but that's because of SDR image being displayed on HDR enabled screen.

If I disable HDR on PC, every refresh rate works fine.

I have also tried to use one of my old 2.0 3m HDMI cables, that I used with my old TV, and I know they work, and are in fact 2.0 cables, if I enable input signal plus, Again I am getting no signal whatsoever on the TV, and my main monitor just keeps refreshing itself, which makes it impossible to change settings on the go, so I just use the 2.1 cable to change settings, than I pluged in the 2.0 cable to see what happens, but it didn't work either, going all the way down to 24Hz, and I couldn't get signal on TV, and main monitor was just restarting itself over and over again.

Disabling input signal plus, I belive what this does is downgrade the OCB's internal HDMI controller or whatever, so I get only 1.4 spec, regardless of what cable I use.

But when disabled, I can get the signal, but only if I lower the refresh rate to 24 Hz or 30 can I get 10-bit, and it forces 4:4:4, I have no option for 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 in nvidia controll panel (I have RGB option though), anything higher on refresh rate foces 8-bit color.

now, lastlly, I tried to use an old 1.4 cable, that I know, for a fact, that it is a 1.4 cable, and I get exactlly the same behaviour as with 2.1 cable, I can get it to work on 144 Hz 4k, 4:4:4, 10-bit and HDR, but I am not sure if I am actually getting that, or is there some compression done internaly by the TV or the PC, anything else is exactlly the same as with 2.1 cable, it just won't work on anything bellow 144Hz.

I guess I will have to get some actually certified cables, reccomendations are welcome, thanks., it has to be at least 3m, and would be great if they are 5m.

or, I will need to get the cheapest possible GPU that can support HDMI 2.1 (RX 6400 maybe?), and put it into some old DDR3 PC, to serve as my multimedia PC, that will completelly put my main PC and everything else out of the equation, in case that my GPU just hates this TV, than all I need is a 3m HDMI cable.

dammit i missed your length.....copper 2.1 cables can only do "up to" 6ft (2m) stable at 4k 120 444 or better....beyond 6ft its a crap shoot. grab a optical 2.1 hdmi (fiber optic). all your problems "should" go away

2 hours ago, circeseye said:

Yes, I was looking for AOC one, problem is, I can't seem to find any 5m or so available, in my area, and I can't wait several weeks for shipment from elsewhere, all I can find are 15+ meters (150€ or so), and I don't know what to do with the excess cable.

I ordered one "certified" 5m cable should arrive in a day or 2, priority shipping, and I will see how it goes.

thanks for advice though, if this one ends up being garbage, like the other two, I will refund it, if posible, and maybe get a 2 m one, then I am going to use an old DDR3 system I have, just sitting there in the basement, put some cheap card that supports HDMI 2.1, maybe that RX 6400 or RTX 3050 or whatever is cheaper, buy 2m cable and put it right next to my Tv shelf, 2m cable should be enough then, all I really care about is movies, and as I am looking right now, the RX 6400 is actually simmilar in price to 15m optical cable.

Happy New Year, everyone

Here is the conclusion, The so called "certified Ultra High Speed" 5m cable, didn't work, it was however more stable than the "un-certified" one, as in, it didn't outright kill my PC, but I couldn't get a signal for longer than 2 or so minutes, every 2 minutes the TV went dark for a few secounds.

refund that one, and just buy like a dozen 1-2 m cables (one of them must work, right?), also bought a RX6600 card, and put it into an old PC. like I said I will do, than connect everything.

I managed to find only one "certified" 1.5m cable, the rest have no certificate or anything, so that one was the first I try, and it works, have been watching some movies, even put the TV into game mode, I haven't played any games though, I just wanted to put the cable under as much load as possible, and making it carry a 4k HDR 4:4:4 10-bit 144Hz signal, even on desktop, and there were no interruptions, or cuts for an hour of use, I think that is now stable, let's hope it remains that way.

I will return the other cables, since I don't need them.

Now I have a separete PC for that task alone, why didn't I do this sooner, and I had an old PC just sitting there for years?, it makes things so much simpler now, rather than having things run on my main PC in another room.

Anyway, thanks a lot for help, I was thinking that something is wrong with my TV, considering everything I tried.

Still a certified HDMI cable didn't work, than how did it get the certification in the first place....

one more thing, it seems that I will have to watch my movies in up to 29 FPS, if I set my refresh rate on PC to 30 or higher the TV just ignores FMM and movie mode, in fact they are replaced with some other crap, like optimized or something (just checked: the two modes are entertain and graphics), I don't know...

well, movies are 24 anyway, that won't be a problem.

3 minutes ago, kiki4431 said:

Happy New Year, everyone

Here is the conclusion, The so called "certified Ultra High Speed" 5m cable, didn't work, it was however more stable than the "un-certified" one, as in, it didn't outright kill my PC, but I couldn't get a signal for longer than 2 or so minutes, every 2 minutes the TV went dark for a few secounds.

refund that one, and just buy like a dozen 1-2 m cables (one of them must work, right?), also bought a RX6600 card, and put it into an old PC. like I said I will do, than connect everything.

I managed to find only one "certified" 1.5m cable, the rest have no certificate or anything, so that one was the first I try, and it works, have been watching some movies, even put the TV into game mode, I haven't played any games though, I just wanted to put the cable under as much load as possible, and making it carry a 4k HDR 4:4:4 10-bit 144Hz signal, even on desktop, and there were no interruptions, or cuts for an hour of use, I think that is now stable, let's hope it remains that way.

I will return the other cables, since I don't need them.

Now I have a separete PC for that task alone, why didn't I do this sooner, and I had an old PC just sitting there for years?, it makes things so much simpler now, rather than having things run on my main PC in another room.

Anyway, thanks a lot for help, I was thinking that something is wrong with my TV, considering everything I tried.

Still a certified HDMI cable didn't work, than how did it get the certification in the first place....

the biggest issue is your pushing 144htz. thats pushing it for hdmi 2.1. its certified for 4k 120htz 10bit 444

1 minute ago, circeseye said:

the biggest issue is your pushing 144htz. thats pushing it for hdmi 2.1. its certified for 4k 120htz 10bit 444

Yes, however, for some reason the stability was worse as I go down with refresh rate, so it seemed to be more stable on 144 than 120/100.