A95K's android TV vs Streaming box?

Jahagafut

I've been trying to research this all over the internet with limited reliable information. We purchased a 55" Sony A95K and the OS has been pretty unreliable, it freezes or lags significantly, it drops internet connection alot (uses 5ghz wifi), sometimes when changing input it just decides to turn off, and a host of other issues. I'm going to factory reset it today and turn on app only home screen and some other things, but I'm wondering if with a streaming box I'll lose some picture processing? The TV has an atmos sound bar connected through HDMI Arc, aside from that I mostly use built in apps / Xbox series for gaming. 

I already know I'll get a much better UI experience with a dedicated streaming box and could potentially get support for my WiFi 6e, but I don't want to lose any picture quality. 

Anyone have any knowledge on this? 

I mean smart tvs always have the cheapest chips in em so no wonder.

As for picture processing that happens independently normally

I just use a mini windows pc (used firt cheap) with a logitech keyboard trackpad in one combi as that gives me the most and easiest time.

Else if that isnt your cup o tea a roku is simple, cheap and inoffensive as well as having a great ui

Just disconnect the tv from the internet so you dont get adds injected into things

picture processing happens independently of the streaming box, so don't worry about that. You spent 3-4k on a TV, buy a $150 Apple TV/nVidia Shield to get something that works really well for streaming and never touch the inbuilt OS again (take it from an LG G3/Apple TV owner)

Surprising to hear that about your Sony since I would've assumed they'd have the most reliable interface considering their price.

I'm an Apple TV 4K owner and would totally recommend it. Love the remote and it's just blazing fast.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

20 hours ago, Jahagafut said:

I've been trying to research this all over the internet with limited reliable information. We purchased a 55" Sony A95K and the OS has been pretty unreliable, it freezes or lags significantly, it drops internet connection alot (uses 5ghz wifi), sometimes when changing input it just decides to turn off, and a host of other issues. I'm going to factory reset it today and turn on app only home screen and some other things, but I'm wondering if with a streaming box I'll lose some picture processing? The TV has an atmos sound bar connected through HDMI Arc, aside from that I mostly use built in apps / Xbox series for gaming. 

I already know I'll get a much better UI experience with a dedicated streaming box and could potentially get support for my WiFi 6e, but I don't want to lose any picture quality. 

Anyone have any knowledge on this? 

I have a 65inch Sony running the same OS. It has been rock solid and fast so it certainly sounds like there is something amiss on yours. The Sony chips are known to be some of the best and fastest. I had a problem on a previous Sony and found their telephone support line excellent. The emailed me a new firmware that I put on via memory stick and it fixed the issue. Might be worth you contacting Sony to see what they advise.