Computer Learning Resources

Sanome

I am entirely new to computers and technology and I want to learn more. Is there any suggestion from where I can start if I am completely blank and clueless to start learning. Like a book or youtube channel maybe or website.

Computers and technology are incredibly vast topics; just shooting everywhere and expecting to hit something will get you nowhere. Where did this spark of curiosity come from? Was it AI? Electronics? Robotics? Virtual Reality? PC building? The list could go on forever. 

Youtube is probably the greatest website to find knowledge about any interest.

Focus on something and start watching videos about it. Joining forums like this and engaging with the community is a great start.

I wouldn't recommend books until you have something you like that is better defined. Those "for dummies" books seem like a good place to look.

Qoute my reply if you want me to answer back. 

23 minutes ago, Sanome said:

I am entirely new to computers and technology and I want to learn more. Is there any suggestion from where I can start if I am completely blank and clueless to start learning. Like a book or youtube channel maybe or website.

Build and completely setup a computer then overclock it. Going deeper than that requires some basic understanding of computer systems that you can get a good foundation of by building one yourself.

Kinesthetic learning best learning. 

I'm self taught, started young with modifying/building PCs, but I wouldn't be where I'm at now without buying A LOT of hardware over the years. Comes close in monetary to a degree at this point, but there's no need to do that unless its what you want to do. Similarly, you could go with a used R5 2400G build or new R5 5600G and play with it, just make sure its all DIY parts to give yourself the whole experience and not a pre-build or SFF kit PC.

10 minutes ago, Yua said:

Computers and technology are incredibly vast topics; just shooting everywhere and expecting to hit something will get you nowhere. Where did this spark of curiosity come from? Was it AI? Electronics? Robotics? Virtual Reality? PC building? The list could go on forever. 

Focus on something and start watching videos about it. Joining forums like this and engaging with the community is a great start.

^^

It is figuring out where to start, I personally think everything centers around the PC. Its where it all starts, although I know plenty of people on the software side who couldn't demonstrate a basic computer block diagram.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

On 12/18/2023 at 3:03 PM, Yua said:

I wouldn't recommend books until you have something you like that is better defined. Those "for dummies" books seem like a good place to look.

any youtube channel suggestions 

I am also pretty new to computers and from my experience you can pick it up pretty quickly. Just talk to people  who know more than you and keep going, and you will learn pretty quickly.

Some local libraries or school districts have extended learning or courses available for very reasonable costs or sometimes even free. There is usually a basic computer class or Windows class - start with those. If you want something more formal then you'll need to pay and there are lots of options like ACI Learning . I went to my local technical college and took some classes. Eventually took enough classes to pass my CompTIA A+ certification test which I did mostly just for fun since I am technically not I.T. in my career - I'm the "I.T. Guy" in my office though - our true I.T. department often uses me to address issues onsite that are difficult to work on remotely. Knowing a thing or three has really helped make me more indispensable at the local office. lol. Plus, it's just fun and satisfying to me for fixing peoples tech problems.