[Polygon]Nintendo Defeats pattent troll Wall Wireless

bob345

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/19/5732598/nintendo-patent-victory-wall-wireless

U.S. patent 6,640,086, "Method and apparatus for creating and distributing real-time interactive media content through wireless communication networks and the internet," was filed Sept. 25, 2001. Attributed to inventor Corbett Wall of Taipei, Taiwan, it covered using "an apparatus like a cellular telephone to create a message by singing into the apparatus or by pressing buttons on the apparatus as he listens to background music presented by the apparatus."

Wall Wireless filed suit Feb. 13, 2009 alleging that Nintendo "has been and now is directly infringing and/or inducting infringement by others, and/or contributing to the infringement by others" on at least two of the patent's claims and covering "among other things" Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite, and an unnamed Mario Kart title. Sony and Nokia were also named in the lawsuit.   

U.S. Magistrate Judge John D. Love signed the order granting a motion "seeking the dismissal of Wall’s claims of infringement" on May 16, 2014, a day after Nintendo and Wall filed a joint motion to dismiss, with prejudice, Wall's claims of infringement. Both documents followed a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office reexamination of the patent, which concluded by invalidating all claims (PDF link) examined. 

According to Nintendo, the dismissal follows a decision by the Japanese Patent Office, which also found that Nintendo did not infringe upon Wall Wireless' Japanese patents. 

"We are very pleased to see the U.S. case dismissed, and also to have the Japanese Patent Office confirm that Nintendo does not infringe Wall’s Japanese patents,” Richard Medway, Nintendo of America’s vice president and deputy general counsel, said in a press release. “Nintendo vigorously defends patent lawsuits and other proceedings when we believe we have not infringed another party’s patents. It does not matter where such cases are filed or if it takes more than five years to vindicate our position. Nintendo continues to develop unique and innovative products while respecting the intellectual property rights of others.”

So pretty much Wall Wireless, a known patent troll who has also filed law suites with Sony and Nokia, has finally been defeated by Nintendo. Its about damn time that these patent trolls learn a lesson or two. There really is no reason for them to exist.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

You should only be allowed to be a patent troll if you speak with an offensive Jamaican accent 24/7. And this is good news all around, the people who abuse the patent system like this they deserve anything that comes to them. But,  "an apparatus like a cellular telephone to create a message by singing into the apparatus or by pressing buttons on the apparatus as he listens to background music presented by the apparatus." has this guy ever used, or even seen a computer?

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

The simple fact that a company is able to exist that only owns patents and does not produce any kind of product using their patents is one of many signs of just how utterly fucked the patent system is.

YEEEEY! What makes this even better is that it was NINTENDO that brought them down. NINTENDO POWEEEER!

Now powered by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

821138238_1381248483.jpg

On topic: Is there a reason why stuff like this happens all the time. Sony went through this with Logitech like 4 times...

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

On topic: Is there a reason why stuff like this happens all the time. Sony went through this with Logitech like 4 times...

Same reason people sue for damages, it's usually cheaper and easier to give that person/company a payout than it is to spend the money on lawyers and the time dealing with courts. The thing with patents is you don't have to lose your leg and left eye to say you were severely infringed on.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Same reason people sue for damages, it's usually cheaper and easier to give that person/company a payout than it is to spend the money on lawyers and the time dealing with courts. The thing with patents is you don't have to lose your leg and left eye to say you were severely infringed on.

So, it's basically a way to abuse the system and cash out on something you've never done. There are so many people out there that there will be ideas similar to thousands if not hundreds of others.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I think there is an important difference though, Logitech actually has products of its own, and patents might indeed be infringed, but this company doesn't produce stuff (as far as I know) and so the infringement is meaningless. Patent trolling is still a low life business though. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I think there is an important difference though, Logitech actually has products of its own, and patents might indeed be infringed, but this company doesn't produce stuff (as far as I know) and so the infringement is meaningless. Patent trolling is still a low life business though. 

Patent infringement when there's a suspicion of it, I'm fine with even if money and time is being wasted. Patent trolling and hacking/disrupting charities is really low. Hell, those are probably done for the "lulz". Assholes.

Posted Image

Yep, it's that everyone in this type of 'business' are power hungry morons with no logic to them at all.

YAY, I knew they would beat that case :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Yep, it's that everyone in this type of 'business' are power hungry morons with no logic to them at all.

Apparently, that's how stocks run. Well, can't wait for GDII aka the Second Great Depression. Man, I love eating out of the trash!

Still, the reason some of the CEOs and other do so well is because they know what sells and what doesn't. As for stocks, patent trolls, and others, I will never understand them.

Apparently, that's how stocks run. Well, can't wait for GDII aka the Second Great Depression. Man, I love eating out of the trash!

Still, the reason some of the CEOs and other do so well is because they know what sells and what doesn't. As for stocks, patent trolls, and others, I will never understand them.

I agree. But now that one major company has defeated a patent troll, others will gather more confidence too.