RIP E3, the inevitable end of an era.

Thaldor

Summary

Entertainment Software Association (ESA) has officially stated that once the biggest and flashiest game expo E3 won't happen anymore. In the past couple years we have seen E3 being digital and then being cancelled and moved forward because COVID and then lack of industry interest.

Quotes

The ESA's president and CEO Stanley Pierre-Louis explained: "After more than two decades of hosting an event that has served as a central showcase for the US and global video game industry, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) has decided to bring E3 to a close.

My thoughts

I had the chance to see one of the last "real" E3's in the early 2010's when it wasn't open to the public. Back then it was great event, you could talk to devs and they were very open about the tech they were working with and there was really raw demos shown, which was awesome because while there was marketing for the magazines to write about and showrooms to lure interest, there was this openness and sincerity around because there was just devs, suits and media, everyone knew not everything there was for everyone not there. What changed was that it became pissing contest to attain public interest for stuff not really done, turning from SIGGRAPH or GDC aimed for professionals into another public expo really didn't do it well, just Like The Game Awards show turning into The Game Trailer show doesn't seem to be going that well.
As I have said to many, "concentrate to achieve your set goals before expanding them", E3 met the end that waits for any event that is just too wide and common, it lacked focus and turned into something no one cared about anymore. I don't think any PAX or GDC would live long if they turned into same kind of pissing contests as E3 turned, I don't think The Game Awards will pull same interest if they continue keeping the awards as a secondary thing for unrealistic game trailers, first they will lose industry care (no one cares to go and receive awards) and then they lose public interest because shown trailers are pretty much lies. Also just that releasing trailers and paying a lot for those seconds compared to just uploading YouTube video is really stupid comparison for marketing since other can cost millions while the other is pretty much free.

Sources

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/e3-officially-abandoned-by-the-esa

Meh

It turned into a corporate show where building hype train was the only focus.

Glad to see it go the way of the dodo

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

It's a shame because these events were landmarks. New generations of consoles, next games in franchise reveals, collaborations, friendships and business partnerships made because they could meet at an event like this.

While I understand in this era it just makes more sense to make a well rehearsed, filmed and almost sterile stream for youtube or twitch or whatever, it's not the same as an audience reaction to something.

Some of my favourite E3 moments were.

Valve showing off Half Life 2's new face tech, having G-man a coy little look

Halo 2, when Master Chief picks up and dual wields guns for the first time

The cheer when Phil Spencer announced backward compatibility for the Xbox One

When GlaDOS interrupted the Sony E3 2010 conference to deploy a surprise

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

I can see something one day replacing it, heck something might be right now and just no news covers it