Buy broken ps5 to fix ?

eliotth

GTA 6 is coming as you know and I want to have a ps5 to play it when it comes out I'm planning to buy one a year's time probably

But I saw a deal on a "broken" one and that got me thinking how hard are they to fix and troubleshoot idk how there built is the GPU CPU everything soldiered on and the motherboard is one piece? If so can't be that hard to find a spare to buy and put into the console. 

Idk educate me lol 

Thanks 

If your name is TronicsFix - sure!

If not - probably not a good idea 😄

More seriously - is is all soldered and no 3rd party debugging tools exist for common user. And pretty much no source of replacement parts - only used parts on the eBay and such sites.

Even if you have the skills and tools to repair it depending what is wrong with it some broken units may simply not be cost effective to repair. You might get lucky and find it just needs a replacement fan, or you might get unlucky and find that it needs a new mainboard.

I have a theory that the majority of the broken/parts only devices that end up on places like ebay are items that other people have tried repairing and already determined that it isn't worth the cost or time to repair hence why they're selling them as broken. If it was a cheap and easy fix they would have fixed it themselves and sold it as refurbished/working for a much higher price.

GTA VI won't release until 2025 (or later if it gets delayed). Just start putting away a little bit of cash and save up to buy the PS5 when GTA VI releases. Maybe you'll come across a good deal of somebody selling their working PS5 in that time or maybe retail price for the PS5 will come down a bit, holiday sales, price drop since the PS5 Slim was released, so on.... Maybe the PS6 will be out by the time GTA VI comes out.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, eliotth said:

how hard are they to fix and troubleshoot

entirely depends on what the broken part is. there is no way to answer just a broad question. "how long is a piece of string" comes to mind.

1 hour ago, eliotth said:

can't be that hard to find a spare to buy and put into the console.

hard? no. but again, it's a matter of what is broken.

honestly, just save up your money and buy a new one, or a working used one.

Its not worth the risk, unless you buy it for like under 100$ and more importantly you can verify that it wasn't worked on previously, which mostly happens if you buy from someone you know.

Because a lot of people get the idea you have right now, watching all the videos on youtube of people fixing stuff and thinking it looks easy. And often you only see the success stories, and not the failures so it creates the perception of being easy. The problem with that is that when they buy it and start "experimenting" without knowing how to properly diagnose it they usually do more bad than good, and eventually reach that one person that thinks "well lets reflow the cpu, see if that works" and end up destroying beyond saving when it could have been fixed prior. And they do that with the knowledge that they can then just toss the hot potato to the next wanna be technician selling it "broken, as is, no refunds" and offload most of their losses.

So the chance of getting a "broken" console that has passed several people already and rendered unfixable is pretty high at this point, and this goes for GPUs and most tech in general, yes you can get lucky with something easy, but even a thing like a broken HDMI port requires some soldering skills and tools and if you don't know what you are doing you can end up ripping pads and components.

Only if you have enough tools & knowledge, and the broken thing is cheap enough to atleast offset the cost or repair and parts.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

11 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Only if you have enough tools & knowledge, and the broken thing is cheap enough to atleast offset the cost or repair and parts.

This. I’ll very rarely buy anything broken/for parts unless it’s a seller I have worked with before that I know doesn’t try their own repairs or the cost makes sense to where it can just be a parts unit for other repairs. 

I’ve got a stack of Radeon VIIs in various stages of cracked dies/ other misc issues that make for good donor dies as I’ve got time. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?