Linus Insomnia Tips

roopx

@LinusTech

Hi Linus,

I'm reaching out through this forum as I couldn't find a direct way to contact you, and I understand you must receive a vast number of emails daily.

In several episodes of the WAN Show, you've mentioned your struggles with sleep. As someone who has also faced significant sleep issues, I wanted to share a method that has greatly helped me, hoping it might be beneficial for you too.

This might sound unconventional, but taking ice baths has been a game-changer for me. I've been doing this for almost two months, and the science suggests that it acts as a natural stress reset for our body. It's not something you do right before bed, but incorporating a cold plunge once a day can have significant effects. Ideally, the water should be around 15 degrees Celsius or colder to get the full benefit. At first, it requires some dedication, but it becomes surprisingly calming and addictive over time. I've been doing it twice daily with water around 10 degrees Celsius.

You mentioned not draining your pool for the winter, so this might be an ideal opportunity for you to give it a try. However, I strongly recommend doing your own research before trying it out, as there's plenty of information available on the topic.

Wishing you the best and hoping you find relief in your sleep struggles.

19 hours ago, roopx said:

This might sound unconventional, but taking ice baths has been a game-changer for me. I've been doing this for almost two months, and the science suggests that it acts as a natural stress reset for our body. It's not something you do right before bed, but incorporating a cold plunge once a day can have significant effects. Ideally, the water should be around 15 degrees Celsius or colder to get the full benefit. At first, it requires some dedication, but it becomes surprisingly calming and addictive over time. I've been doing it twice daily with water around 10 degrees Celsius.

Physical exercise, eliminating caffeine in the afternoon/evening, not eating and regulating fluid intake a couple hours before bed. Ideally the environment where you sleep is relatively cold, since our body temperature drops when we're falling asleep. 

Ice baths are a rabbit hole anyone who listens to JRE gets a taste of every so often. The science behind it is pretty concrete and loosely comparable to exercise with how the body reacts to temperature stress. It's still no replacement for regular exercise in what I've seen (not a doctor). 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017