i9-14900k is unstable at stock settings.

Joshua K.
Go to solution Solved by Joshua K.,

SOLVED

I apologize to anyone who visited this post for answers. I totally forgot to post the solution until now.

Here is the reddit thread where I solved the issue.

Tl;Dr is that the gigabyte board had unlimited power draw and a low LLC by default. V-Droop occured Under a heavy multi threaded run and thus it was instable. 

There are two solutions:

1) raise LLC - not recommended for daily use. It's probably fine for the occasional competitive benchmarking, but a high LLC can cause voltage spikes that can damage the CPU. Additionally, running 300w+ can increase the degredation of the CPU due to electro-migration.

2) limit power usage - do this for daily use. Intel designed the 14900k to run stable at 253w. It isn't designed to run more than that. This Gigabyte board ignores this and removes that limitation by default, which is why it crashed with the BIOS "optimized defaults". So for daily use, I clamp the power usage to 253w in XTU.

Hopefully this helps someone 

hello all,

I recently purchased a 14900k and I am running it on Gigabyte AORUS Elite AX mobo. I have 6800 MHz RAM from GSkill and 4090 as well.

I'm having an issue where, with all stock settings, Cinebench r23 always crashes on a multicore run (screenshot attached). However, single core completes just fine. I also don't have stability issues anywhere else. I can complete a 3Dmark timespy extreme run just fine with XMP 6800 enabled. I can play Halo Infinite with 6Ghz all cores + XMP without any other changes (e.g. no voltage changing) without any crashes at all. But with Cinebench my system isn't ever stable on stock settings.

I saw this other post that seemed to be the same, but the actual error log from Cinebench is different. I do notice that I share a mobo with this user. This is the Cinebench error:```Exception

{

ExceptionNumber = 0xC0000005

ExceptionText = "ACCESS\_VIOLATION"

Address = 0x00007FFBE514B3FD

Thread = 0x00000000000027F0

Last\_Error = 0x00000000

}  

I posted this on reddit, but I also wanted this communities thoughts. I know there probably isn't much good information in this post, so I will try to answer questions as quick as I can. I'm new to overclocking and dealing with instability so I don't really know where to go from here to achieve stability.

Did I just loose the silicon lottery or something? Or are Gigabyte mobos trash for 14th gen? Part of me wants to just return my CPU to re-roll the silicon lottery. Is this a dumb idea given these problems? 

I am on BIOS version FE. Part of me wonders if updating the BIOS would help, but I worry that more recent BIOS will have more issues. Is this a reasonable concern? Or should I have defaulted to the bios update?

All help is greatly appreciated!

(as a side note, I'd love to learn actual overclocking. All the guides that I can find seem to only go into the detail of increasing Performance Active-Core tuning. So if any of you know of a resource where I can learn what everything does [e.g. AVX2 ratio offset or any of the other knobs in XTU] then I would be very grateful).

EDIT:

I'm continually experimenting, and I'll continue to post information as I get it.

- Not all of the Passmark CPU tests complete correctly either, so there is an issue there.

- In XTU, I boosted the voltage offset to +.05 and cinebench finished. I then returned the voltage back to .000 and cinebench was able to complete again. So I'm even more confused now.

CDN media

XMP and limiting it to 6000 MT and see if that helps stability. If not then its not likely to be just the ram. Or turn off XMP completely and do it.

Other then that its going to be a lot of different tinkerings in the bios to get it just right.

13 hours ago, Shimejii said:

XMP and limiting it to 6000 MT and see if that helps stability. If not then its not likely to be just the ram. Or turn off XMP completely and do it.

Other then that its going to be a lot of different tinkerings in the bios to get it just right.

Cinebench fails even with XMP off.

Is it normal to have to tinker in the bios to get it working correctly? To me that sounds like compensating for a bag chip, in which case I would want to return it and get a good one.

16 minutes ago, Joshua K. said:

Cinebench fails even with XMP off.

Is it normal to have to tinker in the bios to get it working correctly? To me that sounds like compensating for a bag chip, in which case I would want to return it and get a good one.

When you buy RAM beyond the normal spec most people use, yes. Cinnebench failing with XMP off is not a good sign for sure. Try one stick of the ram, if it fails again try the other one, if it fails yet again then you know either CPU is borked or both ram sticks are, or motherboard may have issues. This is why troubleshooting this kind of issue can  be a rabbithole of problems lol.

• 3 months later...

SOLVED

I apologize to anyone who visited this post for answers. I totally forgot to post the solution until now.

Here is the reddit thread where I solved the issue.

Tl;Dr is that the gigabyte board had unlimited power draw and a low LLC by default. V-Droop occured Under a heavy multi threaded run and thus it was instable. 

There are two solutions:

1) raise LLC - not recommended for daily use. It's probably fine for the occasional competitive benchmarking, but a high LLC can cause voltage spikes that can damage the CPU. Additionally, running 300w+ can increase the degredation of the CPU due to electro-migration.

2) limit power usage - do this for daily use. Intel designed the 14900k to run stable at 253w. It isn't designed to run more than that. This Gigabyte board ignores this and removes that limitation by default, which is why it crashed with the BIOS "optimized defaults". So for daily use, I clamp the power usage to 253w in XTU.

Hopefully this helps someone 

this reminds me of the testing DerB8uer did when 14900k came out saying a lot will have problems if they don't run the chip according to intel whitepapers and limited the chip. The mainboard manufacturers optimizing and free power limits causes more problems than it solves and are generally for high end overclocking over limited time not for general use. 

Edit: i think it was on one of his video's he said that. but unsure if it was 13900k or 14900k.. but effect would be same i guess.