Anyone have experience with a Cannon T7? How is it for a newbie?

I am looking into trying out photography, and I feel like the T7 is where I wanna go. The reviews I see are good and its what ive found. Does anyone have any experience with it and thoughts for it as a newbie? 

Pretty good starter body for those looking to get into photography. This and the 'Nifty Fifty' f/1.8 prime lens was a pretty good combination and then I upgraded to a 6D mark II probably in a month, which is a full frame sensor and not a crop sensor like in the Rebel lineup or 7D series. 

Sorry I can't give you much details as it was a pretty quick move from it to another body. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Ive been a fan of the newer mirrorless bodies and would try to get one of those if you can. You get much better autofocus, and the newer processors have better noise performance and other aspects.

Otherwise if you don't mind ued i"d get something like a canon t3i/t4i/t5i. There much cheaper, have about the same processor, and have better controls as there higher up in the stack.

The t7 is fine, but I wouldn't buy one if it was me.

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ive been a fan of the newer mirrorless bodies and would try to get one of those if you can. You get much better autofocus, and the newer processors have better noise performance and other aspects.

Otherwise if you don't mind ued i"d get something like a canon t3i/t4i/t5i. There much cheaper, have about the same processor, and have better controls as there higher up in the stack.

The t7 is fine, but I wouldn't buy one if it was me.

I was looking at some and I couldnt find any that had similar resolution at the same price, but if you have a recommendation id be happy to hear. 

13 hours ago, DripplessNewt said:

I was looking at some and I couldnt find any that had similar resolution at the same price, but if you have a recommendation id be happy to hear. 

Don't worry about the resolution/megapixel count. It really won't matter for most uses, esp between 18 and 24mp.

Not really sure. As a rule I’d say look at the glass more than the body, the EF mount will be going away soon and sure there’s a lot of options currently but for me isn’t worth investing in as when you move to a newer, more than likely mirrorless, body you’re going to need an adapter for your old glass or you’re going to have to sell it. 

On 11/13/2023 at 12:07 AM, DripplessNewt said:

I am looking into trying out photography, and I feel like the T7 is where I wanna go. The reviews I see are good and its what ive found. Does anyone have any experience with it and thoughts for it as a newbie? 

Why do you want to shoot? How much do you want to spend on your setup? It is more important to work out where and why before recommending anything. Especially considering what is available on the used market there are so many good options that may give you more bang for your buck. And don’t be too put off that the EF system is being replaced by the RF line. Canon sold millions of EF lenses over the last few decades so the used market will be good for years to come.