Do you own any Apple products, and what is your approach to them

Neroon

Do you own any Apple devices, and what is your approach to them?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own any Apple devices, and what is your approach to them?

• I use multiple Apple devices
    • I use a single Apple device
    • I don't use any Apple devices, but might in the future
    • I don't use any Apple devices, but don't expect to use any in the future
    • I rather use an old desktop with Windows ME before I will use an Apple device

I can see merits for Apple products when they make sense.

I've been building Windows machines since about '95, but I've also owned Mac computers off and on for decades as well, even a G3 iMac. I daily-drove an original Mac Mini G4 for a long time, it was one of my favorite machines of all time and I still have it. With all that said, I'm more of a gamer and work as a CAD/BIM tech at my job, so my preference has been Windows desktop machines.

I bought an ASUS G14 a few years ago as I wanted a portable machine that I could haul around, but it was a nightmare; Proprietary drivers that only worked from the manufacturer's website, weird problems with power management on battery, and crashes. I tried for a while to make it work with a fresh install and everything, no luck. So I ditched my ASUS and bought a Mac Book M2 Touchbark, and couldn't be happier. Amazing battery life, whisper quiet, more than powerful enough to run VMs of Windows for the few programs I need there, and I do light gaming on it (Minecraft Java, Eve Online, Runescape, and etc.). I probably wouldn't buy a Windows laptop again.

I got into the iPhone ecosystem and haven't wanted to leave, I've seen no need with how long security and OS updates are available on most models.

TLDR: Windows desktops for the expandability and dependent software/games, MacBooks for daily computing on the go where battery life and simplified OS updates are key, and iPhones as their security is good and it is what I'm familiar with.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On 11/26/2023 at 4:10 PM, Donut417 said:

The only thing I like about having an iPhone and Macbook is having access to iMessage on both. Its really convenient when I dont have my phone directly on me.

I use Microsoft's Phone Link and can text from my computer, my tablet and my phone.

I'm not sure how Phone Link compares to iMessage. What I don't like about Phone Link is it only works with the internet. When I'm way out of town with barely any signal the only way to send a text is from the phone. I wish this could be sent to the phone over Bluetooth or something. Does iMessage do that?

6 hours ago, Issac Zachary said:

Does iMessage do that?

Not that I know of. But Ive never needed such a feature. If Im traveling Im probably not using my Macbook, or if I am Im at a place that has WiFi. Plus Im used to having poor to no signal in some areas due to being a T Mobile customer. Their rural coverage in many areas is non existent.

The issue I have with Phone Link is I recall i had to download crap on to my phone to get it to work. iMessage just works if you are in the Apple ecosystem. Also if I recall correctly Phone Link is limited on what it can do with an iPhone, mostly due to how Apple has things locked down.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I think things like iMessage are absolutely trash. Reason is simple, more than half the people don't have it. I'd say about 20% of the people I regularly communicate with have an iPhone, and only like 5% have like a Macbook or something.

If Apple made it multiplatform, then sure. Otherwise why would I ever use it over like whatsapp, discord or anything like that.

I am not a snob or anything like that.. I run Intel or AMD for my CPU's, I prefer G.Skill ram and Asus motherboards.. and I use Nvidia GPU's and Apple iPhones 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

15 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Otherwise why would I ever use it over like whatsapp, discord or anything like that.

Not everyone uses 3rd party messaging apps. Outside of my friends and voice chat for gaming using Discord. Every thing goes thru iMessage. Of course my family all uses iPhones.

1 hour ago, Neroon said:

I'd say about 20% of the people I regularly communicate with have an iPhone, and only like 5% have like a Macbook or something.

iMessage is probably nice to have once a person has it. But, ya, it's a double whammy to get into it on a Mac, not exactly enough to convince all the Android and Windows users to change to an iPhone and Mac.

Still, I know lots of iPhone users that talk about how great it is to have iMessage. All I know is that when they reply to me with a 👍, what I see on my Android phone is:

• Liked "iMessage is probably nice to have once a pers..."

What would convince me to change to an iPhone would be the longevity, and to a Mac would be the excelent power usage and battery life. But I don't see the point in buying a phone and a computer that can't do 70% of the niche things I need/want them to do. If all I need it for is texting, wordprocessing and/or browsing the internet, then I'll use what I have until they no longer function and then I'll get a chromebook and whatever the cheapest to own for 10 years phone is out there, thank you very much.

i have an ipad pro and an ipad mini 5, but no other apple anythings.
i have the mini because no other manufactures do "high end", or even mid tier 8" tablets for android, they are mostly cheap, low end junk.

and i have the pro basically because of the screen ratio. the galaxy tab s* series are great, but i dont like 16:10 in a tablet that i use in portrait rotation 99% of the time, feels too tall.

11 hours ago, Issac Zachary said:

Liked "iMessage is probably nice to have once a pers..."

I've seen that a few times in text messages and never once thought, "boy, I better get an iPhone...".

On 11/29/2023 at 1:55 PM, Donut417 said:

Not everyone uses 3rd party messaging apps. Outside of my friends and voice chat for gaming using Discord. Every thing goes thru iMessage. Of course my family all uses iPhones.

Who doesn't? I don't know a single person who doesn't use one. Even if they use iMessage and don't like Whatsapp or whatever, they will still use like Telegram or something like that.

I don't know in what kind of weird Apple land you have to live, to not use third party apps. Unless you just don't text, but in that case you shouldn't care about iMessage either.

And how is it of course that all your family uses iPhones. And does all of your family actually use them? Do you have a really small family? 

On 11/29/2023 at 3:40 PM, htimsenyawed said:

Discord and WhatsApp have some interesting privacy concerns. What with Discord scanning private messages to relay anything they deem suspicious to the Feds and WhatsApp just being owned by Meta.

Signal and Telegram are no different though. Regular SMS/MMS is also very insecure.

At least iMessage and Apple offer a better illusion of privacy, for now.

It amazes me when supposed tech interested people, still act as if WhatsApp has access to your messages. They don't.

I also find it fascinating to see people distrust for example Meta and Microsoft, but trust Google or Apple.

None of them are more or less trustworthy. If you trust in the end to end encryption from Apple, then trust the same with Meta. Otherwise you might as well start wearing tinfoil hats.

5 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Who doesn't? I don't know a single person who doesn't use one. Even if they use iMessage and don't like Whatsapp or whatever, they will still use like Telegram or something like that.

I don't know in what kind of weird Apple land you have to live, to not use third party apps. Unless you just don't text, but in that case you shouldn't care about iMessage either.

And how is it of course that all your family uses iPhones. And does all of your family actually use them? Do you have a really small family? 

Afaik, the US has a pretty heavy SMS-based culture, and also a really large iPhone market share, so it's more common than not to see people using those devices in there. So not using third party messaging apps is actually the norm, unlike you in the EU (and most other parts of the world).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 minutes ago, Neroon said:

It amazes me when supposed tech interested people, still act as if WhatsApp has access to your messages. They don't.

I also find it fascinating to see people distrust for example Meta and Microsoft, but trust Google or Apple.

None of them are more or less trustworthy. If you trust in the end to end encryption from Apple, then trust the same with Meta. Otherwise you might as well start wearing tinfoil hats.

My thoughts on security and privacy, Apple seems to be the best, but it's kind of like me and buying an EV.

Sure, an EV should be better for the environment. But if I really wanted to save the environment then I probably should stop driving altogether.

Sure, Apple is probably better in terms of security and privacy. But if I wanted to be as secure and private as possible, I probably should stop using the internet.

36 minutes ago, igormp said:

Afaik, the US has a pretty heavy SMS-based culture, and also a really large iPhone market share, so it's more common than not to see people using those devices in there. So not using third party messaging apps is actually the norm, unlike you in the EU (and most other parts of the world).

That's definitely a lot higher.

Android has 70% worldwide, but Apple has 58% in the US. Still if 4 out of 10 uses Android, I don't see how you can dodge that.

Here it's the other way around, where Android is used by over 60%, and the thought of using SMS for all the iPhone users in my list would be horrible. 

Even if WA isn't used as much, people use a ton of different apps for texting, whether it be Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Snapchat, Discord etc.

If I look in my WhatsApp now at contacts that don't use it, it's mostly service numbers and the likes, and old phone numbers from ex-colleagues who probably left their jobs and thus their number got disconnected.

And I'm glad it's this common here, because we use it a ton here, and because pretty much everyone is on it, it's always super easy to connect with people without needing 5 different apps.

36 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

My thoughts on security and privacy, Apple seems to be the best, but it's kind of like me and buying an EV.

Sure, an EV should be better for the environment. But if I really wanted to save the environment then I probably should stop driving altogether.

Sure, Apple is probably better in terms of security and privacy. But if I wanted to be as secure and private as possible, I probably should stop using the internet.

Seems? Based on what? I've yet to see any proof that Apple does a better job. Besides, unless you want to show how end to end encryption is not safe on WhatsApp, then I don't see how there is a difference in security.

29 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Android has 70% worldwide, but Apple has 58% in the US. Still if 4 out of 10 uses Android, I don't see how you can dodge that.

You can also use iMessage with android users, hence that whole green vs blue bubbles teen drama. US android users still seem to use regular SMS a lot, so ios users can go fully iMessage without caring about other apps.

30 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Even if WA isn't used as much, people use a ton of different apps for texting, whether it be Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Snapchat, Discord etc.

If I look in my WhatsApp now at contacts that don't use it, it's mostly service numbers and the likes, and old phone numbers from ex-colleagues who probably left their jobs and thus their number got disconnected.

And I'm glad it's this common here, because we use it a ton here, and because pretty much everyone is on it, it's always super easy to connect with people without needing 5 different apps.

WA is also widely used here in Brazil, but other countries use Telegram or even FB Messenger instead, it's mostly a cultural thing.

Anyhow, you just made an assumption about another user based on your own experiences, which are widely different from theirs. Don't assume that your use case is the same as everyone's else.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 hours ago, Neroon said:

On 11/29/2023 at 7:55 AM, Donut417 said:

Who doesn't

The only people I know who use Discord are gamers, generally for voice chat. I use it to stay in touch with my friend because I know he’s most of the time at his computer and we use it for voice chat when gaming. 

While I have used Facebook chat, I only use it for select reasons. Outside of Twitter and Facebook I use no other social media platform as they are cancer. While I have heard of What’s App and others I’ve never had a reason to use them. 

9/10 if im messaging someone it’s iMessage/ SMS. 

1 hour ago, htimsenyawed said:

I was going to waste my time typing out a lengthy response to your aggressive response - but then I realized that you didn’t even really read what I wrote and assume I trust Google or Apple. I said it’s security theater.

You won't use WA due to privacy concerns, but you obviously trust Apple enough to use their service. I read what you wrote, I just stated your argument in a way that is actually how it is. Saying their illusion of privacy is better, and thus you use it, is a BS argument for using iMessage and not using WA.

1 hour ago, igormp said:

You can also use iMessage with android users, hence that whole green vs blue bubbles teen drama. US android users still seem to use regular SMS a lot, so ios users can go fully iMessage without caring about other apps.

WA is also widely used here in Brazil, but other countries use Telegram or even FB Messenger instead, it's mostly a cultural thing.

Anyhow, you just made an assumption about another user based on your own experiences, which are widely different from theirs. Don't assume that your use case is the same as everyone's else.

I saw there are some third party apps that can use it somehow. But that just means people need to use dodgy apps to communicate with you, and that can't be good for privacy.

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The only people I know who use Discord are gamers, generally for voice chat. I use it to stay in touch with my friend because I know he’s most of the time at his computer and we use it for voice chat when gaming. 

While I have used Facebook chat, I only use it for select reasons. Outside of Twitter and Facebook I use no other social media platform as they are cancer. While I have heard of What’s App and others I’ve never had a reason to use them. 

You can definitely use some methods more than others, but you still use 3rd party ones. 

SMS is fine, but there is a lot you can't do with it, so it's still very limited, and that pushes people to 3rd party apps.

6 hours ago, Neroon said:

Seems? Based on what? I've yet to see any proof that Apple does a better job. Besides, unless you want to show how end to end encryption is not safe on WhatsApp, then I don't see how there is a difference in security.

Are we fighting even though we're on the same side? I said Apple seems to be better, I didn't say they were. I said that in order to be safest it would be best to not go with even Apple.

But now that you've asked I would say that one thing that privacy concerns could be based off of are targeted ads. Microsoft, Meta and Google bombard me with things that I typed or said on their platforms, including with things I say through WhatsApp. How do they get that info? I only own one Apple device, but at least it doesn't seem to do that.

29 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Just to make sure, you're in the US, right? If so, that tracks, I guess your usage is the norm there.

1 minute ago, Neroon said:

I saw there are some third party apps that can use it somehow. But that just means people need to use dodgy apps to communicate with you, and that can't be good for privacy.

I guess you've never used an iPhone? iMessage as in the app works for both Apple's protocol, but it's also the default app for SMS. An android user in the US would just send a regular SMS through their favorite app and an iOS user would receive it through iMessage (and see a green bubble). That's it.

4 minutes ago, Neroon said:

You can definitely use some methods more than others, but you still use 3rd party ones. 

SMS is fine, but there is a lot you can't do with it, so it's still very limited, and that pushes people to 3rd party apps.

SMS is by far the most used method in the US:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1332443/us-users-top-communication-methods/

Most people still use more than 1 method. Even though most of my use is telegram, I still use WA once a week or so, and Instagram almost daily. Not to mention work stuff like Slack.

Still, if someone wants to reach me, the best way is through Telegram, even though I do am a WA user. I can easily see someone in the US using SMS/iMessage 90% of the time, with the occasional 3rd party use for random occasions.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 hours ago, igormp said:

Just to make sure, you're in the US, right? If so, that tracks, I guess your usage is the norm there.

That’s correct. I’m in the US. 

2 hours ago, Neroon said:

but there is a lot you can't do with it,

Like what? Now I’m kinda curious. 

I have many now, I actively seek out the apple or HomeKit option.

Everything just seems to work really well and it makes my life easier to support my household if we all use the same devices.

It's worth it for less headaches.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Indeed, while i primarily build and use x86 Windows based and Linux based PCs, I own a multitude of Apple products.  Most recently, I purchased an M2 Mini MAC with 16GB of RAM and I use that as my daily driver to browse and do light work when I don't need one of my large PC towers up and running.  My electric bill thanks me. I have used and supported Apple products since I ran an Apple II computer lab my senior year in HS.  The Mini macs, especially the M2 variety, are awesome little low power beasts.

On 11/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, Killjoy_NS said:

Well considering phones....I will never buy iPhone.
Same thing basically as any other android phone, except it costs a lot more.

The software is more optimized

I personally only have:

• iPhone 13 mini
  • AppleTV 4K
  • iPad 4 (yes very old)

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Like what? Now I’m kinda curious. 

Crazy limit on file sharing (specifically photos and videos), no reaction system other than emojis, and then other features like Unsending a message or editing, read receipts, etc.

Yes whatsapp and Discord and FB messenger can do it, but its more convenient to do it with your default primary messaging app using another user's phone number

9 hours ago, Neroon said:

You won't use WA due to privacy concerns, but you obviously trust Apple enough to use their service. I read what you wrote, I just stated your argument in a way that is actually how it is. Saying their illusion of privacy is better, and thus you use it, is a BS argument for using iMessage and not using WA.

1 reason- WhatsApp is owned by Facebook or "Meta". That's reason enough for me not to trust it, seeing as how they have been proven sell so much of your private information

Apple at least has a better reputation in how they handle privacy.

iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods and iPad. Use to have a mac. I use them ebcause they just work and I like the ecosystem. Good quality, I can get them fixed just about anywhere. Warranty support is top notch. Android is great but you never know what you are going to get per device. Apple, you know what you will have. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD