Don't Waste your Money - $30 vs $10,000 Racing Setup

Other James

Alex wanted to build himself a new racing setup for his. So when we were given a chance to test out EA Sports WRC, we had to see how it held up to a budget racing wheel and our ultimate setup.

Some of the hardware we used:
Next Level Racing GTLite Pro Foldable Racing Cockpit: https://geni.us/MVPA4
Logitech G27 Racing Wheel (on eBay): https://ebay.us/qcqqGL
Next Level Racing Lite Free Standing Monitor Stand: https://geni.us/XW7MskZ
Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Touch Keyboard: https://geni.us/sOKutvB
ANNX/MUGE RACING USB Handbrake: https://geni.us/5EZgu
Fanatic CSL DD Ready2Race WRC Bundle: https://lmg.gg/1hsNW
Sony DualSense Controller: https://geni.us/vWGfLG
ThrustMaster T80 Ferrari 488 GTB Edition: https://geni.us/JX49U

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Kinda disappointed we go from G27 -> insanity without checking out some of the cheap DD options like the Moza R5 and Fanatec CSL DD. It's a pretty big jump just being able to get all that extra detail and especially the lack of center deadzone

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

This video feels like a win in regards to naturally integrating the client sponsor into the creative while still providing valuable informations for consumers - all wrapped up into an entertaining video for the casual viewer. It seems like there's been a shift in the last few videos to provide sponsors with more meaningful integrations. For example, I've noticed Linus doing almost all of the sponsor segments versus on older videos where they were done by non-Linus LTT employees. I wonder if this trend is due to a shift in strategy from LTT Sales/Marketing?

fun video 👍

If you know monitor reviews and sometimes TV's too, that the OSD (on screen display). Sometimes have to be accessed, depending on the reason.
If you buy the "right monitor" you wont need to use the OSD as much or never, and something that needs to calculated when reviewing the experience to use a monitor or TV? Some monitors are just awful and still has the need to use the OSD a lot to make the experience any good, then some monitors can get too bright now with the want for HDR, so its nice when there is a lower brightness it can reach too.

The evolution of sim racing gear according to this video

1. Cheapest wheel you can ever get
  2. Controller
  3. Dated entry level force feedback
  4. Actual End game without just driving the real car.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Not having triple monitor support in-game is a hard no from me!

Anyone else that would have expected linus to have bought one of those FULL size rigs with beamers, and a 1:1 scale model car that is on a massive rig?

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 11/4/2023 at 3:02 AM, Quackers101 said:

If you know monitor reviews and sometimes TV's too, that the OSD (on screen display). Sometimes have to be accessed, depending on the reason.

I just made an account to mention there’s Tools like ClickMonitorDDC which use the already built into almost every monitor standard „Display Data Channel (DDC)“ so you can switch between profiles and set the brightness straight out of the OS.

So Alex no more going through the OSD 🙂 

Can someone list out all that tech that Linus has in his most premium setup?

2 hours ago, HeyMeco said:

I just made an account to mention there’s Tools like ClickMonitorDDC which use the already built into almost every monitor standard „Display Data Channel (DDC)“ so you can switch between profiles and set the brightness straight out of the OS.

So Alex no more going through the OSD 🙂 

I think one of those tools has been mentioned at some point or the certain OSD's that can be enabled with the mouse. Do wonder about bugs and stuff like that, and what tools to trust.

3 hours ago, HyperXcess said:

Can someone list out all that tech that Linus has in his most premium setup?

Just look up equivalents/those. There may be better options for the money or just better options in general. not a lot of games support all of that stuff so you'd be stuck to one game after spending 20k on a setup, unless you want to lose one of those features.

On 11/3/2023 at 12:03 PM, Hunter259 said:

Kinda disappointed we go from G27 -> insanity without checking out some of the cheap DD options like the Moza R5 and Fanatec CSL DD. It's a pretty big jump just being able to get all that extra detail and especially the lack of center deadzone

On 11/3/2023 at 9:25 PM, Arika said:

The evolution of sim racing gear according to this video

1. Cheapest wheel you can ever get
  2. Controller
  3. Dated entry level force feedback
  4. Actual End game without just driving the real car.

Would have loved to also try out the Monza R5 or the Fanatec CSL DD in the video but it can only be so long and that was where we decided to speed things up a bit

Personally I would have dropped the no FFB option and just stated it that if it doesn't have FFB just don't buy it. The G series of wheels is a great starting point to compare against a controller. Maybe spend 75% of the time on your setup Alex to use that now open time to show that mid point wheel on a desk and setup.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

No Logitech is not 'still supporting the drivers of G27 wheel. You can see Alex is using Windows 10. On my windows 11 laptop i cant even configure a button on forza let alone play Assetto corsa. I found some ways like disabling some hyper virtual something something. But come mon... please make a software for win 11 logitech or someone please help me! I just bought that wheel for 200$CAD and my clutch doesnt work my shifter doesnt work 😔😭

52 minutes ago, Revotron said:

On my windows 11 laptop i cant even configure a button on forza let alone play Assetto corsa.

I just bought that wheel for 200$CAD and my clutch doesnt work my shifter doesnt work 😔😭

not sure if still sort of possible to set those controls as an "controller", be it an physical hack through an controller or if its related to something similar like steam controls. gas/brakes that could be like the trigger but the wheel could be harder to do.

7 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

not sure if still sort of possible to set those controls as an "controller", be it an physical hack through an controller or if its related to something similar like steam controls. gas/brakes that could be like the trigger but the wheel could be harder to do.

I dont think setting it like a controller will work. Because Force Feedback and the shifter has 7 buttons one for each gear.

Alex references the config file where he set up support for three displays. Can anyone tell me what values to adjust to get mine to work? If its helpful, my middle monitor is 2560x1440 and flanked by two 1920x1080:

[ScalabilityGroups]
sg.ResolutionQuality=67.000000
sg.ViewDistanceQuality=3
sg.AntiAliasingQuality=3
sg.ShadowQuality=3
sg.PostProcessQuality=3
sg.TextureQuality=3
sg.EffectsQuality=3
sg.FoliageQuality=0
sg.ShadingQuality=3

[/Script/WRC.WRCGameUserSettings]
WRCVersion=1
Anisotropic=4
UpscalerMode=1
UpscalerAutoQuality=True
UpscalerQuality=2
UpscalerSharpness=0.500000
DynamicResolutionMin=0.500000
DynamicResolutionMax=1.000000
HdrGamma=0.500000
NonHdrGamma=0.500000
bUseVSync=False
bUseDynamicResolution=False
ResolutionSizeX=2560
ResolutionSizeY=1440
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=2560
LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=1440
WindowPosX=-1
WindowPosY=-1
FullscreenMode=1
LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=1
PreferredFullscreenMode=1
Version=5
AudioQualityLevel=0
LastConfirmedAudioQualityLevel=0
FrameRateLimit=0.000000
DesiredScreenWidth=1280
DesiredScreenHeight=720
LastUserConfirmedDesiredScreenWidth=1280
LastUserConfirmedDesiredScreenHeight=720
LastRecommendedScreenWidth=-1.000000
LastRecommendedScreenHeight=-1.000000
LastCPUBenchmarkResult=-1.000000
LastGPUBenchmarkResult=-1.000000
LastGPUBenchmarkMultiplier=1.000000
bUseHDRDisplayOutput=False
HDRDisplayOutputNits=1000

[/Script/Engine.GameUserSettings]
bUseDesiredScreenHeight=False

On 11/12/2023 at 10:38 PM, Revotron said:

No Logitech is not 'still supporting the drivers of G27 wheel. You can see Alex is using Windows 10. On my windows 11 laptop i cant even configure a button on forza let alone play Assetto corsa. I found some ways like disabling some hyper virtual something something. But come mon... please make a software for win 11 logitech or someone please help me! I just bought that wheel for 200$CAD and my clutch doesnt work my shifter doesnt work 😔😭

I'm using it in Windows 11 without any problems at all.  Have you tried downloading the Windows 10 drivers?

1 hour ago, brianfrein said:

~snip~

You'll first have to combine all of your displays into one output in the Nvidia control panel.  Depending on what GPU you have it might be called something different but I used Mosaic, likely will have to make the middle one 1080P for it to work.  After that just chuck the resolution of all 3 combined into that file and turn on Windowed Borderless, should be good to go

On 11/15/2023 at 7:36 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

I'm using it in Windows 11 without any problems at all.  Have you tried downloading the Windows 10 drivers?

That was the first thing i tried. No luck. I have an Alienware M17 r2 laptop 1660ti i7 9th gen. I was so eager to play with my wheel i downgraded to windows 10 now it works flawlessly.