AMD Ryzen 8000/9000 APU roadmap leaks out. Strix Halo delayed to 2025

filpo

AMD-RYZEN-ZEN4-ZEN5-ROADMAP-1200x675.jpg

Summary

Moore’s Law is Dead provides an update to AMD Ryzen APU deployment. More rumoured specs are seen

image.png.12270c097b6e5ff232bd9e5ac67bcec7.png

Quotes

The roadmap shows different performance segments that AMD aims to address with their upcoming Zen4/5 architectures. In 2024, the Dragon Range architecture, designed for high-performance gaming systems, will be the predominant AMD choice in the market. The roadmap doesn’t indicate any updates for the following year, but in 2025, the Fire Range series will introduce the latest Zen5 architecture.

More interesting are the Strix series, namely the Strix Point and Strix Halo (also known as Sarlak) APUs. The former is a proper successor to Phoenix, which was expected sometime early next year, as AMD has been releasing new series typically around that period of the year. While it is a fact that at CES AMD usually made the announcements, the actual launch typically shifted to the following months, and that’s what this roadmap is possibly showing.

According to this roadmap, Strix Point featuring Zen5 CPU cores and RDNA 3.5 GPU cores combined with XDNA 2 AI-cores will sometimes launch in mid-2024. The roadmap confirms that the series will feature 12 Zen5 cores and what is new is the 45 to 50 TOPS AI performance. In fact, all the upcoming premium and high-end APUs are expected to feature this level of AI performance.

More interestingly, the Strix Halo, which is said to offer 16 Zen5 cores and up to 40 RDNA 3.5 Compute Units, would launch in 2025, not 2024 as previously expected. This means that the new APU segment defined by AMD as ‘Elite Experiences’ will not launch next year. This chip is also said to feature XDNA2 AI chip with 45 to 50 TOPS of performance.

The reason for the increased AI performance is most likely a new requirement for the Windows 12 operating system, which is said to be around 50 TOPS, as mentioned by other leakers.

AMD Zen4 “Hawk Point”, Zen4 “Escher” and Zen5 “Kraken Point”

The new roadmap also confirms what will happen to Hawk Point, which is now confirmed to feature 8 Zen4 cores. This is most likely the refresh of Phoenix silicon which features RDNA3 and XDNA1 GPU/AI-cores. As the roadmaps shows it offers 16 TOPS of AI acceleration performance. Its successor, called Kraken Point is to also feature 8 cores, but of the newer Zen5 architecture and upgraded RDNA3.5 graphics. The AI-core will be upgraded to XDNA2, but the node will remain at 4nm.

We also finally have some data on Escher, which is an 8 Zen4 chip with RDNA3 and XDNA1 architecture. It would replace Rembrandt-R, which is surprising not going for a retirement just yet. Instead, the Rembrandt chip will fall into the low-power mainstream category within the 2025 lineup.

Therefore, one cannot be sure at this point if Strix Halo will remain as Ryzen 8000 or rather Ryzen 9000 series at this point. AMD’s own product naming schema suggest it should be the latter.

My thoughts

Not great to see that Strix Halo is coming in 2025 but it'll most likely be worth it. I like to see that we can possibly get Ryzen 8000 desktop chips late next year and hopefully X3D chips early 2025

Sources

AMD Ryzen 8000/9000 APU roadmap leaks out, "Strix Point" to launch mid-2024, "Fire Range" and "Strix Halo" in 2025 - VideoCardz.com

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Thanks for sharing

50 minutes ago, filpo said:

Ryzen 8000 desktop chips late next year and hopefully X3D chips early 2025

At least, it seems that current Ryzen 7000 series is competitive against Intel 14th gen (still waiting for actual benchmark comparison video though, I can only speculate not huge difference compared to 13th gen because early impression is that 14th gen is just a minor adjustment from 13th gen), and current user of Ryzen 7000 series will be relevant until 2025

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

25 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

Thanks for sharing

At least, it seems that current Ryzen 7000 series is competitive against Intel 14th gen (still waiting for actual benchmark comparison video though, I can only speculate not huge difference compared to 13th gen because early impression is that 14th gen is just a minor adjustment from 13th gen), and current user of Ryzen 7000 series will be relevant until 2025

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about this timeline cause it means that Ryzen 9000 *may not* be AM5 as they'll be 2026+ (and AMD announced AM5 support up to 2025 only)

If AM5 is only a 2 generation thing (vs 4 on AM4) it'll end up a bit scammy and close to Intel anticonsumer strategy  😮 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Interesting, the 40CU APU looks awesome, finally APU that's console like where GPU is more beefed up. Really I'd like to see them make 8c X3D model and use extra space for more CUs even. That would be amazing. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

33 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Interesting, the 40CU APU looks awesome, finally APU that's console like where GPU is more beefed up. Really I'd like to see them make 8c X3D model and use extra space for more CUs even. That would be amazing. 

That 40 CU APU is going to be a spicy chip, especially for super SFF builds. I wonder what's the max CU they could put in an APU... 

1 hour ago, ImWilly said:

At least, it seems that current Ryzen 7000 series is competitive against Intel 14th gen (still waiting for actual benchmark comparison video though

These have been out for a while and that answer is 13 gen = 14 gen within a 1-2% for most cases.

43 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Interesting, the 40CU APU looks awesome, finally APU that's console like where GPU is more beefed up. 

I'd caution that what we know as a socketed APU could struggle with DDR5 alone due to low bandwidth. Soldered implementations using LPDDR could help some more, but I have to wonder what else AMD might be doing that hasn't been disclosed yet. Some or all of: local VRAM, Infinity Cache, or something new?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

54 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

120 watts though? That doesn't seem like enough for that APU. The 7600 uses 32 CUs and draws 165 watts on its own. Add in a 65-85w CPU, and 120w looks anemic. 

38 minutes ago, CephDigital said:

That 40 CU APU is going to be a spicy chip, especially for super SFF builds. I wonder what's the max CU they could put in an APU... 

Could depend, chiplets packaging wise with both CPU and GPU of larger size. So maybe if it would be 8c + 40CU or a bit more, could be possible on AM5.

But, I'm sure on TR socket they could literally put 16c CPU + 96CU GPU basically combining consumer flagships.

24 minutes ago, porina said:

I'd caution that what we know as a socketed APU could struggle with DDR5 alone due to low bandwidth. Soldered implementations using LPDDR could help some more, but I have to wonder what else AMD might be doing that hasn't been disclosed yet. Some or all of: local VRAM, Infinity Cache, or something new?

Yes, I'd like to see onboard memory maybe HBM type, definitely something to not make such chip be bottlenecked by memory.

20 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

120 watts though? That doesn't seem like enough for that APU. The 7600 uses 32 CUs and draws 165 watts on its own. Add in a 65-85w CPU, and 120w looks anemic. 

Well 170-230W could be possible, but yeah around 300W it would be more in line like separate parts would be. And we've seen chips in this range.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about this timeline cause it means that Ryzen 9000 *may not* be AM5 as they'll be 2026+ (and AMD announced AM5 support up to 2025 only)

If AM5 is only a 2 generation thing (vs 4 on AM4) it'll end up a bit scammy and close to Intel anticonsumer strategy  😮 

Honestly I would bet that's part of the strategy. "See we gave you 2025 support" 

1 minute ago, Fasterthannothing said:

Honestly I would bet that's part of the strategy. "See we gave you 2025 support" 

Not sure really, everyone is always late and has unexpected delays in all lines of work...

Yet once in '26 they may be tempted to upgrade platform (depends on where Intel and maybe ARC will be at that future point of time) while not breaking any promises

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Shoot! That would be a bad curve ball from AMD if they actually create AM5 only for Ryzen 7000 series

I actually hope that AMD would support at least 3 Ryzen generation (not 3 years in parameter), where in the future I would upgrade my CPU from 7800X3D to 9800X3D (or whatever AMD marketing naming later, perhaps more "X" branding because AMD marketing seems to be a legit 90's edgy kid)

I do understand that AMD need to please/support motherboard manufacturer by making shorter generational socket support (in this case, AM5) to drive more motherboard sales (just look at Intel before AMD Ryzen was cool, almost all manufacturer give the best features on Intel motherboard while AMD got whatever left because Intel is the superior market leader even though the CPU only support 2 generations, except current 12th-14th gen)

But still, if AMD can find a good sweet spot to please us as consumer and motherboard manufacturer, that would be great

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

I want to point out that AMD has not committed at all to zen 6 on AM5 one way or the other. I also wouldnt say AM4 got 4 gens, zen+ wasnt a new gen. 

They have only committed to zen5. , and they said support 2025+. Zen6 can go either way, I dont know when they need to commit. 

Also people talking about changing sockets here like you do it to be scummy or anti-consumer. It is infinitely easier on the design side to not lock yourself into the constraints of a socket and co-develop a new socket with new pinouts and new supplemental features should you want them like more PCIe(though since you can daisy chain AM5 chipsets, that specifically isnt necessary).

Im wondering where the 15W options are. Like why does videocardz not show a 15W version of hawk point existing. 

Also gahd damn mendacino being carreid forward into 2025 is a long time. 

I do wonder about the future of TOPs. How much will copilot really need, and how often will I be using it. 

That Videocard Z Rumor chart is all over the place.

• Only Granite Ridge is label as Desktop CPU, and the rest isn't. So others are mobile parts or they didn't specify. APUs can also be desktop CPU, but with integrated graphics.
  • Hawk Point starts with 12CU RDNA3, follow by Strix Point with an upgrade to 16CU RDNA3.5, both available in 2024.
  • Fire Range comes out in 2025 and it downgraded to just 2CU RDNA2?
  • Strix Halo also coming out in 2025, has 40CU RDNA3.5. From 2CU RDNA2 in Fire Range to 40CU RDNA3.5 in Strix Halo. All hail this as "Ultimate APU"!!!
  • Fire Range model series Ryzen 9055, where as Strix Halo being Ultimate gets Ryzen 9050, shouldn't the 5 in 9055, represent a higher end product, like "the Ultimate".

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

That Videocard Z Rumor chart is all over the place.

• Only Granite Ridge is label as Desktop CPU, and the rest isn't. So others are mobile parts or they didn't specify. APUs can also be desktop CPU, but with integrated graphics.
  • Hawk Point starts with 12CU RDNA3, follow by Strix Point with an upgrade to 16CU RDNA3.5, both available in 2024.
  • Fire Range comes out in 2025 and it downgraded to just 2CU RDNA2?
  • Strix Halo also coming out in 2025, has 40CU RDNA3.5. From 2CU RDNA2 in Fire Range to 40CU RDNA3.5 in Strix Halo. All hail this as "Ultimate APU"!!!
  • Fire Range model series Ryzen 9055, where as Strix Halo being Ultimate gets Ryzen 9050, shouldn't the 5 in 9055, represent a higher end product, like "the Ultimate".

Yes, all but granite ridge are mobile chips. Whether some make it to the desktop or not as APUs for am5 we dont know. 
Im not sure what your point is for hawks and striks. Those are not all over the place Hawk Point is a revised Phoenix. Strix point will come out with zen 5 in H2. 

Fire range is an APU the same way dragon range is and zen 4 on desktop is. Its not. Its focus is being a desktop CPU in a laptop. It will be faster than Strix Halo purely due to power budget letting it clock higher. 

Strix Halo I agree might not have a great name. Dragon range needs a dGPU to match strix halo for gaming. But purely for CPU compute it will not be top of the line. 

So 50 TOPS? ...  is it gonna be faster than my 3070 or nah?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, ImWilly said:

That would be a bad curve ball from AMD if they actually create AM5 only for Ryzen 7000 series

Nah,  its fine, the sooner the better, its really underwhelming overall...

hope they go away from "ridged edges" too, looks fragile and ugly af, might force me to go intel eventually lol... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

So 50 TOPS? ...  is it gonna be faster than my 3070 or nah?

for I(integer)OPS, not for flops. 

4 hours ago, starsmine said:

for I(integer)OPS, not for flops. 

TOPS is Tera Operations, not IOPS, its an ai performance operation measurement

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

14 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yes, I'd like to see onboard memory maybe HBM type, definitely something to not make such chip be bottlenecked by memory.

Have modern HBM solutions improved latency, last time I looked at this for an SOC (with cpu latency sensitive workloads) HBM was sub-optimal. 

34 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

TOPS is Tera Operations, not IOPS, its an ai performance operation measurement

Yes, Tera, as in 1 trillion operations. IOPS already is in use for in out.
Its not floating point. 

Gaming GPUs do not have an "efficient" path for low precisions integer ops. hell, Ampere cant even do 32bit ints faster then 32bit flops, because half the cores are FP exclusive with the other half being able to do FLOP or Integer opertation. 

Hence why a small AI chip is able to do Int8 at 40TOPS when a 3070 would only be doing 10TOPS on the cuda cores. 

christ the red and yellow """"watermarks"""" don't get any less obnoxious do they......

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Having previous architecture on a next generation model number is incredibly misleading. At least call it Zen4.5 or something

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, williamcll said:

Having previous architecture on a next generation model number is incredibly misleading. At least call it Zen4.5 or something

Which chip are you referring to?

Just now, starsmine said:

Which chip are you referring to?

probably Hawk Point. You can see it says '8x Zen4 cores'

image.png.8b770554930d355952aad0eb12bd063f.png

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)