PC Shuts off on boot or middle of playing a game. Not sure whats going on :(

Matrioxx

First Off specs: Windows 10 64bit (Fully updated)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x (Stock Settings)

Cooler: Corsair h150i 360mm AIO

Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero AM4 (Bios 4601, updated a few days ago to help with my issue) *CPU Virtualization and DOCP enabled)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (2 x 16gb) DDR-3600 CL18

GPU: Aus Strix Gaming OC RTX 3090 24GB (stock settings)

PSU: Asus ROG Thor 850p (850w)

Drives etc:

1x WD Black 1TB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME M.2 SSD (OS)

1x Kingston v300 120gb SSD (VM stuff I did at Uni)

1x OCZ Trion 460GB SSD (Steam)

1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD (Old OS drive I keep in case I forgot to redownload any programs)

1x Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD (Games and Video clips from when I did YT)

1x Seagate Barracuda 2tb 7200 RM HDD (General storage for crap)

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Also have 6x Corsair iCUE QL120mm fans (3 front intake & 3 on bottom radiator), 1x Corsair iCUE QL140mm fan in the exhaust along with 3x Thermaltake Riing 40.6 CFM 120mm fans on the back of the AIO radiator for extra exhaust on the radiator.

Misc: old Elgato HD60 Pro plugged in if I ever wanna use my old consoles and a 4x port USB 3.0 expansion card. Do have 3x 27 inch screens (2x 60hz 1080p BenQ & 1x Asus 1440p 144hz)

Programs running when this issue happens:

Google Chrome, Discord, Steam, Game (Crashes in CS2, Apex Legends, PUBG as all I play mainly. not crashed in Minecraft though), Spotify along with background stuff RGB stuff like iCUE, GeForce,Razer *not cortex* & Asus Armory Crate

For the last week or so this issue began when my friends and I wanted to play PUBG again and loading up the game seemed fine but I pressed on an icon in-game and the PC would shut off. I reinstalled the game and seemed okay till about mid-game it would do the same thing of shutting off randomly in the game. No BSOD, nothing in the event log or anything. I had only had this issue once previously in a game of Apex Legends and thought nothing of it. So far it happens all the time in PUBG, not played Apex in a while to avoid this issue but in the past 2 days it's started to happen in CS2 and I've never had any issues with that game till now.

I've run tests on CINEBENCH to test the CPU and it seems fine. Installed FURmark to test the GPU and ran for maybe 15 minutes give or take and it didn't shut off along with installing Hardware info to see what's going on when playing a game. So far I think it's either a power supply issue but it *should be enough to power the whole system, had one BSOD that made a dump pointing to a memory issue but think it was just cause the system shut off again and Windows caught it, and blamed the RAM since no power or GPU issue. the GPU goes to about 75 degrees or above in CS2 when playing and hardware info says the GPU hotspot goes to about 105 degrees whilst in CS2.

However, besides this I'm not sure what's causing this issue as about 2 ish weeks ago I would play Apex and CS2 with no problem pretty much. Ever since I started PUBG it happened again and again even after reinstalling it. (I did clear all the files that PUBG has when I reinstalled the game by looking for the TsIGame folder and clearing it all etc *I followed an online guide*)

Notes*, I have an 8-pin and an additional 4 pins on my motherboard going to the CPU but I only have the 8-pin plugged in and doubt this would be an issue since I don't think it's a CPU issue. My PC was fine months ago when I had 2 screens with no issues at all, 3 screens wouldn't cause this as it was fine until I played PUBG again. Have attached some of the error codes that show up in event viewer but these only happen when the PC shuts off randomly in the middle of a game, on regular boot there are no error messages in there. Finally, sometimes when the PC shuts off I have to turn off the PSU on the back and wait till its fully off till I can flick the switch and turn on the PC again. This also happens when I turn the PC into hibernation at night or after a regular shutdown.

Any help would be really appreciated on this 😄 Thank you!

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

I have the same motherboard and had the same issue but I don't know if we both have the same cause. 

In my case this happens with 4 sticks of RAM and was fine with 2 sticks. 

I solved this by going to BIOS and in power settings changing DRAM Current Capability from default 100% to 120%. 

(running memtest86 would not throw any errors but would replicate the issue if I've let it run long enough) 

Now I can also run heavy OC on RAM without issues. 

For me I could also run Cinebench, Blender, etc... Fine. 

But the moment I started PUBG or Apex the PC would turn off. 

(since 2019 no issues) 

What a mess !

I bet on Ram too, disable DOCP for a while

unplug everything you don't need

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

3 minutes ago, leclod said:

What a mess !

I bet on Ram too, disable DOCP for a while

Think this would help though? I've had DOCP enabled ever since I first built the system and not had any problems before this 😞

22 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I have the same motherboard and had the same issue but I don't know if we both have the same cause. 

In my case this happens with 4 sticks of RAM and was fine with 2 sticks. 

I solved this by going to BIOS and in power settings changing DRAM Current Capability from default 100% to 120%. 

(running memtest86 would not throw any errors but would replicate the issue if I've let it run long enough) 

Now I can also run heavy OC on RAM without issues. 

For me I could also run Cinebench, Blender, etc... Fine. 

But the moment I started PUBG or Apex the PC would turn off. 

(since 2019 no issues) 

I'll give this a try and update the post with that happens 😄

6 minutes ago, Matrioxx said:

Think this would help though? I've had DOCP enabled ever since I first built the system and not had any problems before this 😞

It's worth a try,

Basicaly I'd remove everything that isn't needed to single out the culprit.

Reset the bios, update the bios

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 minute ago, Matrioxx said:

In my case it happened even with DOCP disabled, just try it. 

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

In my case it happened even with DOCP disabled, just try it. 

So setting the DRAM frequency to 120% hasn't crashed my PC so far whilst just loading and playing CS2 for a bit but am still a little concerned about the temps I'm seeing in Hardware info 😬 info highlighted are pretty much the temps getting in the game. forgot to take a pic whilst the game was running but GPU temp was about 70 ish and the hot spot was in the 100s. Will test out PUBG and other games tomorrow

Screenshot_5.png

1 minute ago, Matrioxx said:

So setting the DRAM frequency to 120% hasn't crashed my PC so far whilst just loading and playing CS2 for a bit but am still a little concerned about the temps I'm seeing in Hardware info 😬 info highlighted are pretty much the temps getting in the game. forgot to take a pic whilst the game was running but GPU temp was about 70 ish and the hot spot was in the 100s. Will test out PUBG and other games tomorrow

Screenshot_5.png

That are your GPU temps. It has nothing to do with DRAM Current Capability setting in BIOS. That is only affecting system RAM for CPU.

And I said DRAM Current Capability in Power Settings in BIOS.

NOT !!! DRAM Frequency!

17 minutes ago, WereCat said:

That are your GPU temps. It has nothing to do with DRAM Current Capability setting in BIOS. That is only affecting system RAM for CPU.

And I said DRAM Current Capability in Power Settings in BIOS.

NOT !!! DRAM Frequency!

SORRY! I did change that xD I meant to type that but for some reason, I put frequency as it was the first option I saw for DRAM in the bios but don't worry I followed your recommendation 😄 Next task is to try it on a more intensive game and see if it continues to shutdown

17 minutes ago, Matrioxx said:

SORRY! I did change that xD I meant to type that but for some reason, I put frequency as it was the first option I saw for DRAM in the bios but don't worry I followed your recommendation 😄 Next task is to try it on a more intensive game and see if it continues to shutdown

All right then! 🙂

Hopefully it will work out for you, I was pulling my hairs when trying to figure the issue on my side for 3 days.

Regarding your GPU temps, they are definitely high. But the card also used almost 400W when the hotspot spiked to over 100C so that makes sense. I'd recommend capping your FPS instead of letting the card going as hard as it can.

The delta between GPU Temp and GPU Hot spot being about 40C is quite bad. You either have a poor mounting pressure on the GPU die with the GPU cooler or it's time to repaste the card.

18 hours ago, WereCat said:

All right then! 🙂

Hopefully it will work out for you, I was pulling my hairs when trying to figure the issue on my side for 3 days.

Regarding your GPU temps, they are definitely high. But the card also used almost 400W when the hotspot spiked to over 100C so that makes sense. I'd recommend capping your FPS instead of letting the card going as hard as it can.

The delta between GPU Temp and GPU Hot spot being about 40C is quite bad. You either have a poor mounting pressure on the GPU die with the GPU cooler or it's time to repaste the card.

Got on about 30 minutes ago playing PUBG and the first game seemed fine till later in when the PC shut down again in the middle of a gunfight. Res settings were on all low and still shut off, didn't have the GPU temps on in the back but think it would probably be very warm. Think it's a GPU overheating issue at this point  😞

5 hours ago, Matrioxx said:

Got on about 30 minutes ago playing PUBG and the first game seemed fine till later in when the PC shut down again in the middle of a gunfight. Res settings were on all low and still shut off, didn't have the GPU temps on in the back but think it would probably be very warm. Think it's a GPU overheating issue at this point  😞

It's quite possible it is your GPU. Try to cap the power limit on your card to 50% and see if you get a shutdown.

• 2 months later...

Sorted the issue. The issue was the GPU overheating which was the entire reason for the PC shutting down without anything showing up in the logs 😅