GPD Win Max 2 / Ryzen 7840U mini laptop :)

riklaunim

Got my Win Max 2 laptop some time ago and now I'm testing various things on it, including the OCuLink port which is pretty much an external PCIe connector that can be used for eGPUs and friends.

The build quality is really good and it's not going loud without a good reason but it's still a low-volume smaller brand product so I don't have that much warranty on it. Got it from the IGG crowdfunding phase and even now I would not be able to buy any AMD Phoenix-U locally 😉 Aside from maybe some business Lenovo/HP from other EU regions.

USB4/TB3 works, although at lower performance (eGPU). Tested Intel Arc and RDNA cards. OCuLink worked with RDNA cards but did not handle Arc cards. Nvidia is detected but still have to test it. Still, the intended use case is a very mobile command center and docking to a bigger display/keyboard as needed, a Cyberdeck of sorts 😉

7840U + Radeon 780M iGPU, 32GB RAM 7500MT/s LPDDR5x:

Cinebench R23 Single: 1723
Cinebench R23 Multi: 9155
FFXIV Endwalker benchmark: 7166 (standard laptop preset)
PCMark 10: 6841
3DMark Time Spy: 3093
Geekbench 6 CPU: 2446 single-core, 10682 multi-code
Geekbench 6 GPU: 33797
Passmark Rating: 7446
V-Ray: 9017 vsamples
Corona: 3 855 513 rays/s
Unigine Superposition 1080p medium: 4975
Unigine Superposition 720p low: 12233
3DMark Solar Bay: 10901
3DMark Fire Strike: 7395
3DMark Wild Life Extreme: 5109
3DMark Wild Life: 15966
3DMark Night Raid: 27326

Stock BIWINM 2TB CE980Y38900 SSD - 3DMark Storgage Benchmark: 2822

a2.thumb.jpg.d5746c51c008323181ce6765cd7cf7d3.jpg

a1.thumb.jpg.0ed7d2ac77d0fbe72f25bab19e99e048.jpg

oculink_gpu_setup.thumb.jpg.a85e06ea0e81e5496802828cbd548613.jpg

ToDo some Linux with the latest Kubuntu or KDE Fedora... trying to move from not-so-stable Ubuntu.

gpd_bag3.thumb.jpg.5e32859cdf9df536b4a63fe73f58cca5.jpg

gpd_bag2.thumb.jpg.a5fd09ad4c273e7b19fdb0134374c820.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just ordered mine last week and it should be arriving soon!

I'm looking to build my own egpu dock as well, but do you happen to know the difference between the oculink sff-8612 cable and the oculink sff-8611 cable?

or should i go with the Easy route and get the GPD G1 to use as a more universal dock?

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

a cell phone would do more and be more portable. the gpd is cool but I cant help but wonder what you would use it for over a cell phone. spreadsheets? video editing in the shower? I have 5 laptops and literally none of them are moved very far and sit 99 percent of the time/ but i guess some of you would benefit from this for a long commute on the bus or a flight or something? what made you get one?

On 1/30/2024 at 9:19 PM, FastRDust said:

I'm looking to build my own egpu dock as well, but do you happen to know the difference between the oculink sff-8612 cable and the oculink sff-8611 cable?

One is the cable the other is the connector. Just note that there are also wider 8i variants for PCIe x8 which GPD does no have. There are adapter boards on Aliexpress, Ebay and the like. You will also need an ATX power supply so it won't be a mobile eGPU setup. Also depending on GPU vendor there can be additional tricks needed to make it working.

On 2/5/2024 at 3:54 PM, jre84 said:

a cell phone would do more and be more portable. the gpd is cool but I cant help but wonder what you would use it for over a cell phone. spreadsheets?

To have a PC that is ultraportable in a pocket or small bag. It can be docked and then you have a quite good workstation. Also sometimes for field use with various external tools.

And IMHO even 13-14" would be somewhat too small to use as a primary screen for extended periods so it might as well be super small and docked when needed.

not interested in the fact its small but what would it replace. wouldn't a cell phone 14in laptop be a better option? I have a 14in zenbook and its like packing a novel, pretty compact and nice for on the go, then my cell phone for everything else. I wanted to like the gpd but i don't know what id use it for and am curious what others are using it for? you mention external tools? such as?

On 2/11/2024 at 7:52 PM, jre84 said:

not interested in the fact its small but what would it replace. wouldn't a cell phone 14in laptop be a better option? I have a 14in zenbook and its like packing a novel, pretty compact and nice for on the go, then my cell phone for everything else. I wanted to like the gpd but i don't know what id use it for and am curious what others are using it for? you mention external tools? such as?

It's all up to you and your use case. If you already have a 14" then it's probably enough. I have GPD for software and external hardware like machine vision cameras a phone can't run plus a dev environment a phone can't do as well. This is a niche product that isn't any holy grail. All UMPCs are very use-case specific and niche.

oh ok. yeah I was actually wondering what people would be using it for? not so much the fact its ultra portable, more or less is this going to replace a cell phone/chromebook/smaller laptop. I wanted one of these a few years ago but changed my mind as I had no idea what i'd use it for. I say this because we have portables like the rog ally and lenovo legion go. they are basically mini pcs also just smaller form factor, but I guess not as useful without the keyboard/trackpad

• 3 weeks later...

Im thinking of buying one, just for taking to a coffee shop, get out of the house. would be pretty neat having something like this, I just don't know if id be better off with my 14in zenbook. battery life is a bit better on the zenbook. if someone owns the gpd let me know about battery life with screen turned 50 percent and actual use. my zenbook gets 22 hours of just playing video wifi off 50 percent brightness. but in actual use i only get like 5 hours.

21 hours ago, jre84 said:

Im thinking of buying one, just for taking to a coffee shop, get out of the house. would be pretty neat having something like this, I just don't know if id be better off with my 14in zenbook. battery life is a bit better on the zenbook. if someone owns the gpd let me know about battery life with screen turned 50 percent and actual use.

I didn't measure it, but some YT reviews focus on battery life at set TDP and set game. Overall, it seems rather good.

You can take a ruler and place Win Max dimensions vs your Zenbook to see if that's okay. Then there are other UMPCs, even 7" (or gaming handhelds) so you can go through other options as well.