Should I get the LTE version of the Pixel Watch 2?

Alexzz
Go to solution Solved by Zalosath,
5 minutes ago, Alexzz said:

Hi, I will be doing something new for me regarding phones. Buying the expensive option to see if it's worth it. Usually I am a total min / maxer. It'll be the Pixel 8 Pro. It comes with the Pixel Watch 2, which makes it more of an okay deal. Should I now shell out the extra 50€ (about $50) for the LTE version? This makes it 1149 instead of 1099. Is that an important feature for a Smartwatch? Especially when my carrier will charge me another 5€ per month for the multi SIM feature. I would appreciate your view on this.

It's definitely a personal preference thing. I always have my phone on me, so there's no need for me personally to have an LTE smartwatch (I have the 7 Pro and Pixel Watch 1, 8 pro and watch 2 (wifi only) in the mail). 

Unless there are features I'm unaware of, the bluetooth connection between my watch and my phone is more than sufficient for me. 

Hi, I will be doing something new for me regarding phones. Buying the expensive option to see if it's worth it. Usually I am a total min / maxer. It'll be the Pixel 8 Pro. It comes with the Pixel Watch 2, which makes it more of an okay deal. Should I now shell out the extra 50€ (about $50) for the LTE version? This makes it 1149 instead of 1099. Is that an important feature for a Smartwatch? Especially when my carrier will charge me another 5€ per month for the multi SIM feature. I would appreciate your view on this.

5 minutes ago, Alexzz said:

It's definitely a personal preference thing. I always have my phone on me, so there's no need for me personally to have an LTE smartwatch (I have the 7 Pro and Pixel Watch 1, 8 pro and watch 2 (wifi only) in the mail). 

Unless there are features I'm unaware of, the bluetooth connection between my watch and my phone is more than sufficient for me. 

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

Phone [ Google Pixel 8 Pro, 256GB, Snow ]

Depends if you need to use the watch without your phone present. Only you can answer your usage case.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

35 minutes ago, Alexzz said:

I would appreciate your view on this.

Is there a situation where you wont have your phone? Because that's literally the only reason to have an LTE smart watch in my opinion. Because at the end of the day the feature costs more both up front and monthly.

Great example of this, my employer doesn't allow phones on the floor. Its a safety issue because we have powered equipment driving around. Many of the young people have LTE smart watches. On one side that nice for them to have access. On the other side the boss and most of the upper management knows what they are doing when they are looking at their wrist. Im kinda waiting for them to ban smart watches on the floor to be honest.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Is there a situation where you wont have your phone? Because that's literally the only reason to have an LTE smart watch in my opinion. Because at the end of the day the feature costs more both up front and monthly.

Great example of this, my employer doesn't allow phones on the floor. Its a safety issue because we have powered equipment driving around. Many of the young people have LTE smart watches. On one side that nice for them to have access. On the other side the boss and most of the upper management knows what they are doing when they are looking at their wrist. Im kinda waiting for them to ban smart watches on the floor to be honest.

Well, let's hope the ban hammer spares them 😄

47 minutes ago, Zalosath said:

The only situation I can think of is running.
Or when I go swimming, leave my phone in the locker and am on call for work. I am not even sure if the watch could do that and it happens very very rarely. But the idea sounds cool 😉

Glad to hear you are upgrading too. I had the Pixel 4a 5G before and was very happy, but the battery life is getting bad and the new camera seems amazing. Did you get a case and screen protector as well?

38 minutes ago, Alexzz said:

The only situation I can think of is running.

Or when I go swimming, leave my phone in the locker and am on call for work. I am not even sure if the watch could do that and it happens very very rarely. But the idea sounds cool 😉

Glad to hear you are upgrading too. I had the Pixel 4a 5G before and was very happy, but the battery life is getting bad and the new camera seems amazing. Did you get a case and screen protector as well?

It could be useful to have LTE in those cases, the question to ask yourself is: is not having your phone whilst running/swimming an issue you presently have? If it is, is an extra monthly cost worth it to fix the issue, or can you just wait til you have phone access again? 

I've got a case coming, just the standard one, but no screen protector, I don't really ever use screen protectors (touch wood I won't need one 🙂). What about you? What colours are you looking at for the phone/watch/case?

Main PC [ CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D with H150i ELITE CAPPELIX  GPU Nvidia 3090 FE  MBD ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A  RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB@5600MHz  PSU HX1000i  Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic  Monitor LG UltraGear 1440p 32" Nano IPS@180Hz  Keyboard Keychron Q6 with Kailh Box Switch Jade  Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight  Microphone Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter & GoXLR ]

Server [ CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G  GPU Intel ARC A380  RAM Corsair VEGEANCE LPX 64GB  Storage 16TB EXOS ]

On 10/9/2023 at 12:43 AM, Zalosath said:

It could be useful to have LTE in those cases, the question to ask yourself is: is not having your phone whilst running/swimming an issue you presently have? If it is, is an extra monthly cost worth it to fix the issue, or can you just wait til you have phone access again? 

I've got a case coming, just the standard one, but no screen protector, I don't really ever use screen protectors (touch wood I won't need one 🙂). What about you? What colours are you looking at for the phone/watch/case?

I bought the blue version and the watch in "Champagne Gold / Hazel". I'll prob get the case or another strap from Amazon or dbrand. The pricing for those accessories on the Google Store feels a bit high for what they are. A magnetic watch strap costs 139€ and can go upto 210€ 😄

https://store.google.com/de/category/pixel_watch_bands

4 hours ago, Alexzz said:

I bought the blue version and the watch in "Champagne Gold / Hazel". I'll prob get the case or another strap from Amazon or dbrand. The pricing for those accessories on the Google Store feels a bit high for what they are. A magnetic watch strap costs 139€ and can go upto 210€ 😄

https://store.google.com/de/category/pixel_watch_bands

Jeez, those are some expensive watch straps. I'm just sticking with the basic one that it comes with, I really liked the Pixel 1's strap anyway, hopefully it's the same!

On 10/8/2023 at 4:38 PM, Alexzz said:

. Should I now shell out the extra 50€ (about $50) for the LTE version? This makes it 1149 instead of 1099

When smartphones are now more expensive than high-performance laptops and computers with powerful cpu and gpu!

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

16 hours ago, E-waste said:

When smartphones are now more expensive than high-performance laptops and computers with powerful cpu and gpu!

Exactly my point!