I need to hack an air tag into an Echo Pop power supply...

Someone at my work has stolen two internet radios I have set up in the break room. The first one going missing, I just assumed someone moved or misplaced it. But now that it's happened twice I am thinking someone is stealing them.

There are no cameras in our breakroom, the only way I can find the person stealing these is to bait them with another that I can track. The echo devices are too tightly integrated to hide an air tag inside the speaker itself, but I am thinking I can buy a 3rd party power adapter and hide the air tag in that. The echo pop stolen today was taken with the power adapter, probably because I superglued the two parts together to prevent the speaker from falling away if it got knocked off the table. So presumably if the new one is also superglued to the power supply it will be stolen with the cord and all too.

I don't know much about this kind of thing. Like, I know I can't just stick something metal in a power supply, I will need to be careful to insulate the air tag from the electronics in the box. But I don't know how to find a good option that has a bigger shell than the guts inside, I don't know if maybe there is a market for things like this, FBI, CIA, crafty husbands or wives do this sort of thing, hiding cameras in power adapters, so maybe there is some product on the market that deliberately includes space for this?

Or maybe someone who has already done something like this before could give me some advice? Thank you so much!  

14 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

Someone at my work has stolen two internet radios I have set up in the break room. The first one going missing, I just assumed someone moved or misplaced it. But now that it's happened twice I am thinking someone is stealing them.

There are no cameras in our breakroom, the only way I can find the person stealing these is to bait them with another that I can track. The echo devices are too tightly integrated to hide an air tag inside the speaker itself, but I am thinking I can buy a 3rd party power adapter and hide the air tag in that. The echo pop stolen today was taken with the power adapter, probably because I superglued the two parts together to prevent the speaker from falling away if it got knocked off the table. So presumably if the new one is also superglued to the power supply it will be stolen with the cord and all too.

I don't know much about this kind of thing. Like, I know I can't just stick something metal in a power supply, I will need to be careful to insulate the air tag from the electronics in the box. But I don't know how to find a good option that has a bigger shell than the guts inside, I don't know if maybe there is a market for things like this, FBI, CIA, crafty husbands or wives do this sort of thing, hiding cameras in power adapters, so maybe there is some product on the market that deliberately includes space for this?

Or maybe someone who has already done something like this before could give me some advice? Thank you so much!  

No idea what kinda power supply you meant.

If it's those small sized power bricks
what's stopping you from buying a bigger enclosure box/junction box, stick the power supply and the airtag in it, superglue / epoxy glue everything.

https://www.amazon.com/JIUWU-125x51x150mm-Aluminum-Enclosure-Amplifier/dp/B07KYDVH4T/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1L6UT0MWBCFP5&keywords=power+supply+enclosure&sprefix=power+supply+enclosure%2Caps%2C362&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.com/Gratury-Stainless-Waterproof-Electrical-290×190×140mm/dp/B08282SQPT/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1L6UT0MWBCFP5&keywords=power%2Bsupply%2Benclosure&sprefix=power%2Bsupply%2Benclosure%2Caps%2C362&sr=8-8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/JIUWU-Enclosure-Electronic-Amplifier-97x40-5x130mm/dp/B07KYGZTFK/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1L6UT0MWBCFP5&keywords=power+supply+enclosure&sprefix=power+supply+enclosure%2Caps%2C362&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/a15102300ux0430-165mmx120mmx68mm-Enclosure-Electronic-Project/dp/B019I89TKG/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1L6UT0MWBCFP5&keywords=power+supply+enclosure&sprefix=power+supply+enclosure%2Caps%2C362&sr=8-6

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

US I'm guessing?
Just making sure, because if you're in Canada that's illegal.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Thank you, I really appreciate the advice.

I am assuming the same person will steal the new one, so if I modify it too much they might realize it's different and not steal it, so I won't know who is doing this.

It comes with something like this:

51KYyB9ei+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If I replace it with something like this, they might be fooled:

61IhWG+ow4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

But if it's a totally different sort of thing they will know something's up.

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

US I'm guessing?
Just making sure, because if you're in Canada that's illegal.

Yes. Arizona specifically. 

6 hours ago, Caroline said:

My question is why did YOU set up radios at your workplace? shouldn't the company buy that kind of stuff?

Money. I work for a luxury 5 star resort that does not care about us employees at all. Not even enough to buy a $15 Alexa device.

And why 'internet radios' and not a regular one? less likely to be stolen.

Won't work. AM/FM does not reach the breakroom or most of the property due to the mountains.

perhaps set up a hidden camera somewhere? somewhere it catches both the radio and guy's face, no use if it only catches him from the back or top.

My plan right now is to use a 3rd party shelf to mount the speaker to the side of the lockers right next to the desk where I had this speaker previously. I already got permission from the person who uses the locker I would need, and the locker already has holes cut in it which will work perfectly for what I want to do, no need to permanently alter anything like the wall, table, etc.

The shelf has a pocket to store excess cable, that is where I will put the air tag. It also protects the power connector so no one can unplug the speaker again. I will use epoxy and/or super glue to permanently attach the speaker, air tag, power cable and shelf all into one new contraption so if someone wants to remove it they have to remove the whole thing, including the air tag. No ability to remove just the speaker.

The other end connecting to the power strip will be duct taped so it can still be unplugged but not quickly, to discourage people messing with it. And if a future manager decides they don't like this, the speaker can still be removed without any damage to the locker or other furniture. 

On 10/6/2023 at 5:42 AM, Invincible Sugar said:

The other end connecting to the power strip will be duct taped so it can still be unplugged but not quickly,

I smell a electrical code violation.

In Europe this would be illegal. 

People never go out of business.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:04 PM, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

In Europe this would be illegal. 

It's only illegal if you get caught c:

@Invincible Sugar As long as nothing happens nobody cares.

If two rooms further (completely unrelated) a toaster catches fire and the fire inspector ordered by the insurance company finds this it is a big deal.

People never go out of business.