Physics question about cooling and room temp

lafrente

After I overhauled cooling, there's a drop from 85's to 65's for CPU and 75 to 65 for GPU. And considerable drop in case ambient temp as well.

I don't know if its placebo, but after getting my PC to cool better, I noticed that it makes the area around and also the room warmer.

The question is, there wasn't any throttling at all before. So there's same heat energy in the case. How is it seemingly warming the room more?

exhausting more hot air...🤷‍♂️

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

18 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

exhausting more hot air...🤷‍♂️

The only way for the case to not get increasingly higher temps under load is to dissipate the heat into the room. It still dissipates at the same rate as the CPU heat output, hence why it tops at 85c.

2 minutes ago, lafrente said:

The only way for the case to not get increasingly higher temps under load is to dissipate the heat into the room. It still dissipates at the same rate as the CPU heat output, hence why it tops at 85c.

you said there a drop from 85c to 65c meaning there 20c worth of heat being exhausted. unless you undervolterd?

you said you did things about cooling but never listed what you did or what specs you have...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

9 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

you said there a drop from 85c to 65c meaning there 20c worth of heat being exhausted. unless you undervolterd?

you said you did things about cooling but never listed what you did or what specs you have...

Only the fan setup changes and no throttle before or after. TBH you need to understand bit of physics before you can understand my question. I could try to explain the question in simpler terms though if you wonder what it is about.

Just now, lafrente said:

Only the fan setup changes and no throttle before or after. TBH you need to understand bit of physics before you can understand my question. I could try to explain the question in simpler terms though if you wonder what it is about.

so exsplan your setup no ones going to care about what your asking with out the details...

i no how thermals works.

2 hours ago, lafrente said:

The question is, there wasn't any throttling at all before. So there's same heat energy in the case. How is it seemingly warming the room more?

Because you are removing heat from the components and case more efficiently or removing more heat than before. If the CPU is at 85 C then there is that 85 C worth of heat in the CPU, radiating it away inefficiently. At 65 C you have extracted 20 C worth of heat from the CPU and dumped it into your room. Similar for the drop in temperature on the GPU.

There was no throttling because those temperpatures are acceptable operating temperatures for the chips that do not cross the boundary for (serious) thermal throttling.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Modern CPUs/GPUs will boost depending on temperature, so it is quite possible they are using more power and creating more heat energy then they were before. This is generally not considered throttling until the temperature and clock drop becomes excessive.

25 minutes ago, tikker said:

Because you are removing heat from the components and case more efficiently or removing more heat than before. If the CPU is at 85 C then there is that 85 C worth of heat in the CPU, radiating it away inefficiently. At 65 C you have extracted 20 C worth of heat from the CPU and dumped it into your room. Similar for the drop in temperature on the GPU.

There was no throttling because those temperpatures are acceptable operating temperatures for the chips that do not cross the boundary for (serious) thermal throttling.

I don't think "20 C worth of heat" is the right way to look at it. Larger objects take more energy to raise their temperature by a fixed amount.

Think of it this way, if a CPU is drawing 100W and it is maintaining the same temperature, then 100W of heat is being dissipated. A better cooler can do this with a smaller difference between ambient and CPU temp, but it is still dissipating 100W.

7 hours ago, lafrente said:

After I overhauled cooling, there's a drop from 85's to 65's for CPU and 75 to 65 for GPU. And considerable drop in case ambient temp as well.

I don't know if its placebo, but after getting my PC to cool better, I noticed that it makes the area around and also the room warmer.

We do not have enough information to answer your question for certain, but it seems like your cooler upgrade just causes more of the warm air inside the case to be dumped outside the case. Heat has to go somewhere, and better cooling typically just means moving more of the heat from inside your case to the outside of your case.

On 9/30/2023 at 6:28 PM, LAwLz said:

We do not have enough information to answer your question for certain, but it seems like your cooler upgrade just causes more of the warm air inside the case to be dumped outside the case. Heat has to go somewhere, and better cooling typically just means moving more of the heat from inside your case to the outside of your case.

This is a good explanation of it but there is another factor that hasn't been touched on by anyone.

You have to remember the air your coolers in the system's case use to do it's cooling with is air that's already inside the case. That air naturally in such a semi-enclosed enviroment will get warm, that affecting cooling efficiency of the components inside.

When you improved the cooling of the system, that in turn caused more cool air to start coming in and being present in sufficent quantity by volume, meaning more cooler air period to transfer heat to.
Since this now warmed air, via the exhaust fans is moved out from the system it's vented to atmosphere (Your room ) and that's why you feel it more than you did before.
You've increased the thermal BTU's the system is moving out of the case because heat absorption of the air inside the case has been improved, that why you feel it the way you do vs before.

Just remember one thing about cooling - Like water seeks it's own level, heat energy always seeks to dissapate itself and it takes a cooler enviroment for this to happen.....
And by improving the airflow through your case you've given it just that, cooler air inside leading to improved heat absorption and then a better, more efficient way to go where it's really wanting to go.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 9/30/2023 at 12:42 PM, lafrente said:

That's exactly what one would expect to happen.