Weigh in on my choice

GSTARR

Hey guys,

I need you to weigh in on the matter of buying a used premium x99 board, vs upgrading to a cheaper (in terms of quality), yet newer, mobo+cpu that will be budget constrained (250$). I am leaning towards buying the older premium board, what is causing me to hesistate is my uncertainty about avrg lifespans of motherboards.

I had an Asus X99 Deluxe that died a month after OC'ing my 5820k. My initial thought was that because it crapped out only after putting an OC on my 5820k (a modest 4.2/3 Ghz when most usually go to 4.5), I should focus on getting a premium board that should be more stable when doing an OC and stressing out components

My next thought was the X99 Deluxe WAS a premium board. But it was also, afaik, the first x99 board they made, and similar to a car that is the first of a new line it usually has its issues that get ironed out. There is the x99 Deluxe II that added an extra 4pin power connector that is supposedly for stable power during OC'ing.

But a newer cpu+mobo regardless of its lack of features  such as heatsinks, extra power connectors for OC'ing, and increase in build quality over other models, should be able to handle an OC just fine for a number of years. It will also give me a chance to get the newer PCIe version, although not sure how much that matters. Should also be important to note here thay bc of budget constraints I WOULDNT be upgrading to ddr5

I believe the x99 Deluxe II is a risky choice given its age, but I also believe the X99 Deluxe's failure is biasing me. I threw that thing in my luggage and flew it across the country 6-7 times, I drove it across the country still in the case bouncing around. That thing was a beast. Until I OC'd it...

What is your opinion?

Shipping sucks

1 minute ago, GSTARR said:

Hey guys,

I need you to weigh in on the matter of buying a used premium x99 board, vs upgrading to a cheaper (in terms of quality), yet newer, mobo+cpu that will be budget constrained (250$). I am leaning towards buying the older premium board, what is causing me to hesistate is my uncertainty about avrg lifespans of motherboards.

I had an Asus X99 Deluxe that died a month after OC'ing my 5820k. My initial thought was that because it crapped out only after putting an OC on my 5820k (a modest 4.2/3 Ghz when most usually go to 4.5), I should focus on getting a premium board that should be more stable when doing an OC and stressing out components

My next thought was the X99 Deluxe WAS a premium board. But it was also, afaik, the first x99 board they made, and similar to a car that is the first of a new line it usually has its issues that get ironed out. There is the x99 Deluxe II that added an extra 4pin power connector that is supposedly for stable power during OC'ing.

But a newer cpu+mobo regardless of its lack of features  such as heatsinks, extra power connectors for OC'ing, and increase in build quality over other models, should be able to handle an OC just fine for a number of years. It will also give me a chance to get the newer PCIe version, although not sure how much that matters. Should also be important to note here thay bc of budget constraints I WOULDNT be upgrading to ddr5

I believe the x99 Deluxe II is a risky choice given its age, but I also believe the X99 Deluxe's failure is biasing me. I threw that thing in my luggage and flew it across the country 6-7 times, I drove it across the country still in the case bouncing around. That thing was a beast. Until I OC'd it...

What is your opinion?

Most newer boards have extra power connectors for overclocking that 99.9% of users will never need, causing endless questions from people on forums like this about whether it's necessary to hook them up.

Overclocking is less and less relevant all the time. 

Old HEDT boards are almost always overpriced for their actual capabilities in the secondhand market.

$250 on a current middle-of-the-road CPU and board will thrash your 5820k in performance. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

You could OC a 5820k to the moon and back and it would still not keep up with modern chips. You'd be throwing money away by keeping it on life support.

Your budget is $250? Do you live next to a microcenter?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Most newer boards have extra power connectors for overclocking that 99.9% of users will never need

I'll do some reading tonight but I thought they were for extra stability. If that's true, then that's like saying you've got too strong an immune system. And  while immune systems dont cost anything, prices are already outrageous. I think if you focus on build quality and heatsinks (which may or may not be the right way to look at mobos, idk) youre already screwed and youve (probably) already got that extra 4 pin

Right?

Shipping sucks

5 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

You could OC a 5820k to the moon and back and it would still not keep up with modern chips. You'd be throwing money away by keeping it on life support.

Your budget is $250? Do you live next to a microcenter?

Yes I do

Shipping sucks

Just now, GSTARR said:

I'll do some reading tonight but I thought they were for extra stability.

Modern ATX boards above the entry-level chipsets typically now have 1x8-pin plus 1x 4-pin connectors for CPU power. Some high-end boards have 2x 8-pin, and 2x 8-pin plus 1x 4-pin isn't unheard of.

Actually hooking up anything beyond 1x 8-pin is totally unnecessary unless you're trying to set OC records with LN2 or something, and hooking them up won't make your system any more stable. 

I don't know how you intend to judge "build quality." 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

16 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

Yes I do

a few bucks more and you got a modern system:

$299

https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006542/amd-ryzen-5-5600x3d,-asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus-wifi-ii-ddr4,-gskill-ripjaws-v-16gb-ddr4-3200-kit,-computer-build-bundle

i recently got this 12900k bundle for my wife to replace her somewhat glitchy 9900k system:

$399

https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006547/intel-core-i9-12900k,-msi-z690-a-pro-wifi-ddr5,-gskill-ripjaws-s5-32gb-kit-ddr5-6000,-computer-build-bundle

or if you prefer AMD, AM5 will have better upgrade path:

$399

https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006269/amd-ryzen-7-7700x,-msi-b650-p-pro-wifi,-gskill-flare-x5-series-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-bundle

These are somewhat older parts (but still roughly double the single threaded performance of your 5820k) and the bundle price is impossible to beat new. The AM5 system is def. worth the $100 extra as it comes with double the RAM also, and it's DDR5 which should last a few upgrades.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, GSTARR said:

What is your opinion?

1 hour ago, GSTARR said:

I am leaning towards buying the older premium board, what is causing me to hesitate is my uncertainty about avrg lifespans of motherboards.

Honestly, X99 is nearly a decade old and I don't think the quality of the board is going to matter at all at this point, since it could die for any number of reasons and there's so many years of usage which you can't account for, which could lead to different kinds of physical and temperature stress, corrosion, etc.

These old CPUs can also get comprehensively beaten by an i3-12100 / H610 combo in games *, so it doesn't really seem worth it from a performance POV either, unless you desperately need PCI-E lanes or something.

@GSTARR

I'm running an ASUS x99 Deluxe II motherboard (w/ TPM 2.0 module) & an Intel Core i7 6850k CPU. I have no problems to speak of, but running Windows 11 Pro it's near the end of its useful life. Going forward, I'm looking at an ASUS Prime x299 Deluxe II mobo / Intel i9 10920x based system for an upgrade path. That's within the next year for me realisticly.

Overclocking, I have it clocked to 4.4 GHz stable without much adjustment. 4.3 GHz is a little more ideal (maybe) dunno. I don't rely on benchmarks, but they are a good indicator of performance. I get 7625 points Multicore in Cinebench R23. Testing my brother's stock i7 8700k system I built there's not much difference between the 2 systems... except I'm quad channel memory.

If you keep with the x99 platform for now, consider the 6 th Gen CPUs above the 6800k... ei 6850k, 6900k 6950k. They are great. Add a TPM 2.0 module if possible to whatever motherboard you choose. I'm still wanting to stick with the HEDT platform as an upgrade path past this system I've built.

This system is not bad for a workstation that can game when it needs to. I do graphical design with the 'puter sometimes.

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2

3 hours ago, BlackDragon1971 said:

@GSTARR

I'm running an ASUS x99 Deluxe II motherboard (w/ TPM 2.0 module) & an Intel Core i7 6850k CPU. I have no problems to speak of, but running Windows 11 Pro it's near the end of its useful life. Going forward, I'm looking at an ASUS Prime x299 Deluxe II mobo / Intel i9 10920x based system for an upgrade path. That's within the next year for me realisticly.

Overclocking, I have it clocked to 4.4 GHz stable without much adjustment. 4.3 GHz is a little more ideal (maybe) dunno. I don't rely on benchmarks, but they are a good indicator of performance. I get 7625 points Multicore in Cinebench R23. Testing my brother's stock i7 8700k system I built there's not much difference between the 2 systems... except I'm quad channel memory.

If you keep with the x99 platform for now, consider the 6 th Gen CPUs above the 6800k... ei 6850k, 6900k 6950k. They are great. Add a TPM 2.0 module if possible to whatever motherboard you choose. I'm still wanting to stick with the HEDT platform as an upgrade path past this system I've built.

This system is not bad for a workstation that can game when it needs to. I do graphical design with the 'puter sometimes.

Thats what I figured I would do. I had my eye set on upgrading to a 6900k, or a 6950x that I would buy a 360mm aio alongside.

But this issue has forced my hand and made me rethink buying old mobo's, and idk if youve checked lately but I could buy a whole budget system for what these people are charging for new X99 Deluxe's

Shipping sucks

4 hours ago, GSTARR said:

Thats what I figured I would do. I had my eye set on upgrading to a 6900k, or a 6950x that I would buy a 360mm aio alongside.

But this issue has forced my hand and made me rethink buying old mobo's, and idk if youve checked lately but I could buy a whole budget system for what these people are charging for new X99 Deluxe's

Yup, I agree...

The x299 platform is at a good price right now. That's the path I am going for. I don't need the latest and greatest myself.

@GSTARR Keep us updated on your build.

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2

18 minutes ago, BlackDragon1971 said:

Yup, I agree... I paid $600 CAD(roughly) 3 years ago for the motherboard alone

The x299 platform is at a good price right now. That's the path I am going for. I don't need the latest and greatest myself.

@GSTARR Keep us updated on your build.