How safe is Facebook Marketplace for PC purchases?

I just saw a add in my local area of a guy selling a custom build with top teir parts. Amd 79503xd, radeon 7900xtx.....customer water loop through both, MSI x670e ace......like almost exactly what ive been planning to build. 

But how safe is it to consider purchasing something like this? Could it be stolen? How could i find that out? (In USA) 

Obviously id go see the maching and check it out before consideration, and id probly ask to buy it for 1500 to 2000 max (hes asking 3k) because its used and im taking a gamble. 

But im kinda fearful of it being stolen or something. I live in a military town, and this guy seems to be a very outdoors/active guy, so not a gamer or maybe he impulse purchased to get into gaming and didnt like it..... idk. 

Any advice? Id hate to miss a chance for a good deal. 

19 minutes ago, CarthosChief said:

I just saw a add in my local area of a guy selling a custom build with top teir parts. Amd 79503xd, radeon 7900xtx.....customer water loop through both, MSI x670e ace......like almost exactly what ive been planning to build. 

But how safe is it to consider purchasing something like this? Could it be stolen? How could i find that out? (In USA) 

Obviously id go see the maching and check it out before consideration, and id probly ask to buy it for 1500 to 2000 max (hes asking 3k) because its used and im taking a gamble. 

But im kinda fearful of it being stolen or something. I live in a military town, and this guy seems to be a very outdoors/active guy, so not a gamer or maybe he impulse purchased to get into gaming and didnt like it..... idk. 

It's like anything you buy in person with no warranty and no way to contact the person after 🙂

What is the link to the item?  You can find out if it's stolen by calling the police and seeing if something like it was reported/filed police report.

I'd pass on this, as you can build it for just over $2k (without custom loop) and you don't need a 79650x3d for gaming at all.  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

There isn't much way to tell if its stolen until you get it and it has  a name that doesnt match up. Thought try and remember the older videos on LTT
Ask to see if it works before any money is given. You should at least know if it works before you buy it. If they refuse, no deal, period.

How can anybody answer this question? It's as safe or as unsafe as the particular individual you choose to make a transaction with. You're asking us to make generalizations about masses of strangers. 

There are no protections if you get scammed, it's up to you to do your due diligence. You can leave marketplace feedback so if the seller has any, read it first. 

As for finding out if the stuff is stolen, you can't.

Beyond that all I can say is you seem to be stereotyping a bit that a person can't be into both gaming and outdoors recreation. You know Steve from Gamers Nexus is a mountain biking enthusiast?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, CarthosChief said:

It's safer than craigslist ever was.

1. Check the sellers profile and see how long they've been on facebook. (if it's new, may be a red flag)

2. Ask them some questions about the item.

3. Meet in a public place.

4. Don't go alone. (especially for large cash transactions.)

5. I usually try and get their phone number before meeting up. The more info you have the better.

6. Have them let you test the system to make sure it's working. (Not crashing, bsod, ect)

7. If it's too good to be true, it is.

It's not 100% safe but you have a record of the facebook account of the person you bought from.

If the price is better than what it'd cost for you to build by a fair margin, I'd probably buy it. $3k seems like a lot for what it is. With a used system I'd probably price it at least $800 off, as you're losing out on a lot of warranty. Keep in mind, with a custom loop you also have to hope that they had that build correctly. I'd personally never buy a custom loop used, unless you're fully willing to tear it all down and redo it to make sure it's done correctly.

Anything you buy from another person has the chance of being stolen. There's no way for you to know that. There's obvious signs; priced too cheap, you get there and he's a crackhead, etc etc. But other than that, nope.

You creeped his profile and are trying to base it off of that? That's ridiculous and gives you very little insight into the person as a whole. A lot of my friends mountain bike, hunt, swim, hike etc and have systems easily in excess of $5,000 at home. Very few people are going to take pictures of themselves sitting alone playing video games on a computer; not even my friends who play games 7 or 8 hours a day do that.

Don't be surprised if he won't let you see it running. I personally don't let people into my home to look at things I'm selling, regardless of the value. It's 2023. It's easy enough to send over a video of it functioning.

Honestly, with the questions you asked and worries you have, I'd probably just stick to buying new.

1 hour ago, Dedayog said:

It's like anything you buy in person with no warranty and no way to contact the person after 🙂

What is the link to the item?  You can find out if it's stolen by calling the police and seeing if something like it was reported/filed police report.

I'd pass on this, as you can build it for just over $2k (without custom loop) and you don't need a 79650x3d for gaming at all.  

Don't do that. That's a complete waste of their time and resources. The only time I'd do that is if you knew who it was stolen from, or knew it was stolen (aka crackhead and it's $400).

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

How can anybody answer this question? It's as safe or as unsafe as the particular individual you choose to make a transaction with. You're asking us to make generalizations about masses of strangers. 

There are no protections if you get scammed, it's up to you to do your due diligence. You can leave marketplace feedback so if the seller has any, read it first. 

As for finding out if the stuff is stolen, you can't.

Beyond that all I can say is you seem to be stereotyping a bit that a person can't be into both gaming and outdoors recreation. You know Steve from Gamers Nexus is a mountain biking enthusiast?

Haha, you basically said everything I wanted to say. Spot on.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

20 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

1. Check the sellers profile and see how long they've been on facebook. (if it's new, may be a red flag)

5. I usually try and get their phone number before meeting up. The more info you have the better.

6. Have them let you test the system to make sure it's working. (Not crashing, bsod, ect)

It's not 100% safe but you have a record of the facebook account of the person you bought from.

With #6 I'd suggest asking for it before hand via video. Also, with something this large, public meetups are probably a hassle and will lose you the purchase.

I sell PCs; I don't let anyone into my house. It's my space, not some place for randoms to come trouncing through.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Also, with something this large, public meetups are probably a hassle and will lose you the purchase.

I sell PCs; I don't let anyone into my house. It's my space, not some place for randoms to come trouncing through.

So no public meeting and no private meeting. What option are you leaving?

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If the price is better than what it'd cost for you to build by a fair margin, I'd probably buy it. $3k seems like a lot for what it is. With a used system I'd probably price it at least $800 off, as you're losing out on a lot of warranty. Keep in mind, with a custom loop you also have to hope that they had that build correctly. I'd personally never buy a custom loop used, unless you're fully willing to tear it all down and redo it to make sure it's done correctly.

Anything you buy from another person has the chance of being stolen. There's no way for you to know that. There's obvious signs; priced too cheap, you get there and he's a crackhead, etc etc. But other than that, nope.

You creeped his profile and are trying to base it off of that? That's ridiculous and gives you very little insight into the person as a whole. A lot of my friends mountain bike, hunt, swim, hike etc and have systems easily in excess of $5,000 at home. Very few people are going to take pictures of themselves sitting alone playing video games on a computer; not even my friends who play games 7 or 8 hours a day do that.

Don't be surprised if he won't let you see it running. I personally don't let people into my home to look at things I'm selling, regardless of the value. It's 2023. It's easy enough to send over a video of it functioning.

Honestly, with the questions you asked and worries you have, I'd probably just stick to buying new.

Don't do that. That's a complete waste of their time and resources. The only time I'd do that is if you knew who it was stolen from, or knew it was stolen (aka crackhead and it's $400).

Haha, you basically said everything I wanted to say. Spot on.

Beg to disagree, as the police here in Atlanta have stated calling for that reason is something they suggest.   They also have Safe Trading areas at the station as well for people to buy and sell like this.  Maybe they're incorrect and just trying to save face, but that's what they've said.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

58 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

So no public meeting and no private meeting. What option are you leaving?

Doorstep.

55 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Beg to disagree, as the police here in Atlanta have stated calling for that reason is something they suggest.   They also have Safe Trading areas at the station as well for people to buy and sell like this.  Maybe they're incorrect and just trying to save face, but that's what they've said.

It really depends on the item. If it has a serial number, sure, if not you're pretty much SOL.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

If you call up the police and start talking about specific PC parts like "Yeah do you have a report that an MSI X670E Ace motherboard was stolen? 🤓" they're not going to have the slightest clue what you're talking about and if you speak in terms generic enough for them to understand you're going to get a "false positive" if anybody reported any computer equipment stolen anywhere in their jurisdiction recently (which someone will have). So either way you're no closer to easing your mind the stuff you're interested in wasn't stolen. Bugging the police for stuff like this is a waste of your time and theirs.

I wouldn't do business with anyone who wouldn't meet me in a public place. I don't see a big difference between them coming in your house and a doorstep dropoff, either way they now know where you live. 

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet, possibly because it may seem obvious, but don't send any stranger any form of payment before you have actually seen the item in person. 

I will say that in dozens of PC part transactions on Facebook, Craigslist, OfferUp, etc. over the past few years there were a total of two times someone may possibly have been trying to scam me. Once I sold an item and I guy gave me counterfeit $20 bills. However, I don't know if he knew they were counterfeit himself; I only found out when I tried to use one of them at a restaurant and the employee used one of those marker testers on it; they gave every visual appearance of being genuine. The other time I had someone try to give me a GTX 770 in a GTX 1070 box, but my impression of that person was that he didn't actually know anything about PC hardware and was may have gotten scammed himself from whoever sold the card to him. 

In the end, though, anyone who has a high level of anxiety about stuff like this should just buy everything new. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, StarsMars said:

I think the "facebook" thing is giving you a false sense of security... 

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

I think the "facebook" thing is giving you a false sense of security... 

A facebook account may not be a fingerprint but it's a hell of a lot more info about who you're buying from than Craigslist ever gave you.

Is there stuff listed on marketplace by profiles that probably aren't legit? Yeah, sure. But they're often quite easy to spot. A profile name that sounds like some white guy but the profile pic is an Asian woman? Bit of a red flag. 

In this case it sounds like the seller has an open and quite active Facebook profile which gives every sign of being a real person, OP is just hung up on some sort of jocks-vs-nerds framework of the type of person who might have PC parts to sell. 

A couple more maybe-obvious tips:

Ignore listings that only have the manufacturer's stock marketing photo of the product. Legit sellers will have pics of the actual item "in hand." Basically same rule as eBay here. (Of course a scammer could yoink a pic from somebody else's listing but that takes some effort so you can weed out the lazy scammers at least.)

Look at item descriptions to see whether the seller seems like they know what they're selling. If the whole description is the item's specs copied-and-pasted from the manufacturer site, it's probably because the "seller" just created a fake listing for an in-demand item they don't know jack about. 

12 minutes ago, Middcore said:

A facebook account may not be a fingerprint but it's a hell of a lot more info about who you're buying from than Craigslist ever gave you.

To do what with? As you pointed out already just because it's on Facebook, doesn't mean it's a legitimate information? Or if it's on Marketplace, that you are even dealing with the owner of the item. Lots of proxy selling goes on through market place as many people don't have accounts to facebook.

On craigslist most of the time you have a phone number, which is likely just about as useful for authorities as a Facebook account? Craigslist has accounts and emails as well (Accounts make it easier to keep track of listings).

7 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

On craigslist most of the time you have a phone number

Not really. Sellers can choose to only accept get contact by email, and craigslist obfuscates their real emails. You'll just get messages from addresses like "649313ae47933730bff2173232497c37@reply.craigslist.org".

Craigslist has accounts and emails as well (Accounts make it easier to keep track of listings).

It's not like craigslist is going to give you info on anybody's account if they scam you. A seller having a craigslist account doesn't tell you anything about who they are or aren't. It just tells you that they... use craigslist.

A Facebook profile doesn't guarantee someone is genuine and honest, of course, but it gives you a lot of basic checks you can use to spot potential frauds very quickly.

Personally here's some tips from my experience

1. If they refuse to meet in a public place or ask you to come alone something shady is going on 

2.bring a friend or two especially when there's a large transaction on the line 

3.Never give any form of payment before verifying they actually have the product and that it works

4.If something is priced a lot cheaper then what you could build it for (a few grand) it's usually stolen or someone trying to rip you off and make some quick cash

5. Ask them questions about the components if they actually know what they're talking about it usually means they actually own it or at least know enough to sell it

6. Ask them what games they ran the system on 

7. This one might seem like a no brainer but ask why they're selling the system as I doubt it's for a upgrade since that PC is top spec

8. Never buy a custom loop used unless you verified everyhing was installed and sealed correctly

Jezze,

You people ever heard of receipts? If he ain't got them and your worried about it being stolen, pass on it.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Asking to see receipts is a decent idea, although if someone actually bought stuff at brick-and-mortar retail and got a paper receipt it's doubtful they would save it. Or if they aren't the original owners themselves (I've bought parts secondhand and then resold them) it's highly unlike they would have a receipt. 

About zero safety. 

On 9/27/2023 at 9:32 PM, CarthosChief said:

i mean, ok, but if its stolen how would that affect you... i mean besides being morally wrong of course. 

i get that this isnt something to take lightly, and i think i would think twice too, but it being stolen isnt actually a security risk?

unless the dude besides being a thief is also a snitch, i guess! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 9/27/2023 at 9:32 PM, CarthosChief said:

How could i find that out?

ask the police/military police?

that way you also have proof that you actually didn't want to buy stolen goods (although that makes *you* the snitch lmao, as said, there's zero safety in using facebook... for anything really 🙂 )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 9/27/2023 at 9:26 PM, StarsMars said:

This, I will also add that for relatively new items you might want to ask for receipts to see how they respond.

Certain stuff you can get a bargain for, if you know what you are looking for. Try not to get lured by tempting deals as they can often be scams and create a list of things to test before you buy. Ask them for a benchmark of the part to see if it performs up to par, description of the physical condition, exact model number etc. Always try to negotiate (worst they can say is no).

At times, you'll need you learn from you mistakes and move on.