We Will Buy EVERYTHING in this Mom & Pop Computer Store

Shahrad

Thanks again to The Ridge for sponsoring this video and helping us bring this to life! Check out The Ridge x Hennessey Performance Summer Sweepstake below!

https://www.ridge.com/LINUS

You can win some amazing prizes like a Hennessey Ford Bronco or $75,000 in cash. No purchase is necessary and you can enter for free on our website, by just entering your email or sms. You can also get an entry with every dollar spent, or get up to 1000 entries on dollars spent on custom Hennessey Performance products. Use our link or code LINUS for 10 bonus entries! 

Ever walk into a small computer shop and think “who is buying all these old products?” Well we did, and that weighed on us. Sleepless nights turned into exhausting days of wondering “just what is in that small computer shop?” It became such a problem that we found ourselves with no other option than to walk in, close the door behind us, and tell the owner “we’ll take everything you’ve got”. That’s what we did. We were forced to, if you really think about it. Just what are we going to get? Will there be RTX 4090s, or old Voodoos? 13th gen i9s or Socket 1 486s? Thunderbolt 4 cables or serial port connectors?

Found this pretty interesting and it was a good watch with the dynamic between the shop keeper and Linus.

I was curious what motivated it and why this particular shop was chosen as that wasn't clear to me. Just because? A friend? Shop closing up? It felt like there was part of the story missing, but otherwise an interesting watch.

This has been the first LTT video in a while what I've genuinely really enjoyed. Funny, didn't feel like it was over before it started or was going on forever, and overall a really good idea from whomever suggested it. 

Great job LTT team.

32 minutes ago, Nightpaws said:

Found this pretty interesting and it was a good watch with the dynamic between the shop keeper and Linus.

I was curious what motivated it and why this particular shop was chosen as that wasn't clear to me. Just because? A friend? Shop closing up? It felt like there was part of the story missing, but otherwise an interesting watch.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The place is still in business, and makes no mention of an imminent closure. ( https://www.bbb.org/ca/bc/surrey/profile/computer-repair/blacklab-computers-ltd-0037-1248319 )

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ͓  i7 6700k ͓  16GB DDR4-3200 ͓  EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra Gaming

47 minutes ago, Nightpaws said:

Yeah, seems super strange. My best guess is that it's the first shop they called that would allow filming and also buying out literally everything. Interesting none the less on them taking the MrBeast route of content lol.

EDIT: Wasn't this the same store from Scrapyard Wars many years ago that someone bought a whole PC from or something? If so, that'd make a lot of sense.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

19 minutes ago, djenson said:

This has been the first LTT video in a while what I've genuinely really enjoyed. Funny, didn't feel like it was over before it started or was going on forever, and overall a really good idea from whomever suggested it. 

Great job LTT team.

My last visit to the forum was 6 years ago. I had to stop by to say that I couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, Nightpaws said:

We actually had this place scoped out for a while. My understanding is that Linus or another writer stumbled across it and had an idea for a video. When I went in to talk to him about it late last winter, Keith seemed to not only be game, but was also just really entertaining to talk to. Guy is always cracking jokes and they almost always land. I told him we'd be in touch, gave him my contact info, then proceeded to not respond for 6 months so we'd be sure to catch him by surprise. To my knowledge, he's got no plans of closing down, nor did we have any contact with him outside of this video concept. It also really helped make the decision easy to do this shop because he has a 4.7 star rating on google maps with nearly 200 reviews and still uses an ISP provided email address, which I personally take as a sign that someone is doing something right in their small business because it means that their clients have been returning for so long that it's difficult to change emails. 

17 minutes ago, TannerMcCoolman said:

We actually had this place scoped out for a while. My understanding is that Linus or another writer stumbled across it and had an idea for a video. When I went in to talk to him about it late last winter, Keith seemed to not only be game, but was also just really entertaining to talk to. Guy is always cracking jokes and they almost always land. I told him we'd be in touch, gave him my contact info, then proceeded to not respond for 6 months so we'd be sure to catch him by surprise. To my knowledge, he's got no plans of closing down, nor did we have any contact with him outside of this video concept. It also really helped make the decision easy to do this shop because he has a 4.7 star rating on google maps with nearly 200 reviews and still uses an ISP provided email address, which I personally take as a sign that someone is doing something right in their small business because it means that their clients have been returning for so long that it's difficult to change emails. 

Do you guys have any plans with all the merchandise? I remember watching JayzTwoCents video where he invites fans to buy his old hardware at a deep discount.

Though something I thought would be more fun and entertaining to watch would be to invite fans for a free "shopping spree". 5 or 10 go in at a time into a warehouse full of the merch spread on tables and they have 10 minutes or so to grab 10 items they want/need. As they're going around Linus asks them what in the world they could possibly use/need that for.  

Also I just realized, what are they going to do with all of the stuff? Best case scenario I'd hope it'd be responsibly recycled, or they just keep it till the end of time. Made me think back to Linus's idea of opening a store and selling stuff at a cheap price, so they can free up inventory space and give people cool stuff for low costs. Not sure exactly just how much stuff they got, but looked like a lot just in cables and boxes alone.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

I would like to see them attempt to use all the products as they were intended.

"You tried your best and failed miserably.
the lesson is, never try."

~Homer Simpson

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Linus actually got a good deal on that G4 Cube, if it works and the power supply and speakers are included.

The power supply alone is worth what he paid for it in some cases. It's crazy how much people will pay for them, but they've definitely gone up in value quite a lot over the years. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 hour ago, TannerMcCoolman said:

This sounds familiar, was it discussed on the WAN show?

39 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

This sounds familiar, was it discussed on the WAN show?

It was discussed on Wan last week, if I recall correctly.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

It's one of the few computers that is art.  https://www.moma.org/collection/works/82134

Like the NeXTcube imo

I hope that thing eventually finds its way into Horst's hands, maybe for a "what were they thinking?!" retrospective video. The Cube was definitely a case of form over function, and it really didn't fit into Apple's product strategy at the time. (It was much more expensive than an iMac, roughly the same price as a Power Mac G4, but with far less expandability. It only had an AGP slot and the built-in PC Card-like AirPort slot. That's it, everything else had to be external on the USB 1.1 or FireWire 400 ports.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

hmmm linus is mrbeast now??

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

4 hours ago, Birblover12 said:

Also I just realized, what are they going to do with all of the stuff? Best case scenario I'd hope it'd be responsibly recycled, or they just keep it till the end of time. Made me think back to Linus's idea of opening a store and selling stuff at a cheap price, so they can free up inventory space and give people cool stuff for low costs. Not sure exactly just how much stuff they got, but looked like a lot just in cables and boxes alone.

They'd better spare all the things that have nostalgia or novelty value.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Entertaining video, nice job!

As expected Linus was generous with the budget, I really hope the sponsor paid for it all.

Unfortunately I wasn't involved in this one, but I've frequented Black Lab quite often in the late 2000's. It helped that I worked literally across the street from there, but not having a car in combination with it being the only computer store in my neighbourhood made it an obvious choice. Keith is a stand up dude and I hope he decides to restock and continue operating.

I liked this video. I have a nostalgic curiosity in stuff like this. It would be cool to have a completely working era correct computer like what my school class had when I was a kid. Not sure what I would do with it though. 

I liked this vid, had a stupid smile on my face most of the way through, I get the impression Linus wants to help this guy modernize but i also think now would be a good time for that owner to hand it down to a son/family member or something.

You just know he is going to go restock with serial to serial cables and usb2 hdd enclosures and tv adapater cards to cater to the 3 or 4 techies who still run this stuff.

Anyway nice guy, not a nice darts player

15 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

I liked this vid, had a stupid smile on my face most of the way through, I get the impression Linus wants to help this guy modernize but i also think now would be a good time for that owner to hand it down to a son/family member or something.

You just know he is going to go restock with serial to serial cables and usb2 hdd enclosures and tv adapater cards to cater to the 3 or 4 techies who still run this stuff.

Anyway nice guy, not a nice darts player

What is funny is I know older people than the guy in that video who are up to date with modern computer technology. Though you are also very correct in that many seem to stop at a certain point and never bother with anything newer.