Possible GPU upgrade ?

Mikey89
10 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Either is fine, although I believe OC GCs offer you more control. I'm sure Holly will have much better info.

@RevGAM

But i mean are factory OC cards more proned to way smaller lifespans ?

I usually always tried to avoid OC cards or OC-ing my own card.

7 minutes ago, Some guy on LTT forums said:

well now that is your plan, get the best gpu you can and upgrade cpu at a later time.

but im concerned by the time you get a cpu the 12gb wont cut it in newer games... lol.

@Some guy on LTT forums

Well i'm gaming at 1080p and i don't really plan on going to 1440p or 4K so the RTX 3060 - 12 GB VRAM should be enough.

Games seem to eat more and more VRAM especially the newer ones.

5 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

Admittedly, I have less understanding of this than @hollyh88. I suggest, however, that there is virtually no problem with OCing as long as you research fully how to do it properly, take steps to prevent high temperatures and other things that WILL shorten the lifespan, and don't OC it to the point of instability.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

2 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Admittedly, I have less understanding of this than @hollyh88. I suggest, however, that there is virtually no problem with OCing as long as you research fully how to do it properly, take steps to prevent high temperatures and other things that WILL shorten the lifespan, and don't OC it to the point of instability.

@RevGAM

No no, not what i meant - i don't OC cards at all.

The ASUS TUF RTX 3060 i found says it's in description it's an OC model but i am guessing it's factory OC.

If it's factory OC like from the manufacturer - would it have higher temps or shorter lifespan ?

40 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

@RevGAM

Sorry kinda confused about something.

I'm seeing for example some vendors have the same GPU but in 2 variants : REGULAR and OC.

I know OC means it's factory oveclocked but is it safer to buy an OC GPU even if it's new ?

From what i know overclocking a GPU usually reduces it's lifespan.

oc is just a fancy word after the name for a card that indeed comes a biter higher clocked out of the gate. But its completely safe. no reasons to worry about it. They (every gpu) are after all, ALWAYS higher clocked out the gate. some (oc models) just a bit higher and its still fine

17 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

no they arent unless you yourself do something terribly wrong to them which i doubt you will do.

you only have to oc a card if its not doing the perf you want it to do anymore or if you know what you are doing and have no problems with ocing

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

1 minute ago, hollyh88 said:

oc is just a fancy word after the name for a card that indeed comes a biter higher clocked out of the gate. But its completely safe. no reasons to worry about it. They (every gpu) are after all, ALWAYS higher clocked out the gate. some (oc models) just a bit higher and its still fine

no they arent unless you yourself do something terribly wrong to them which i doubt you will do.

you only have to oc a card if its not doing the perf you want it to do anymore or if you know what you are doing and have no problems with ocing

@hollyh88

So if that ASUS TUF RTX 3060 i found is factory OC it shouldn't be any problem right ?

I mean it won't die way faster, it should last as long as any GPU right?

I saw it has a 3 year warranty.

8 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

So if that ASUS TUF RTX 3060 i found is factory OC it shouldn't be any problem right ?

I mean it won't die way faster, it should last as long as any GPU right?

I saw it has a 3 year warranty.

yes unless you destroy it yourself

it wont, unless you destroy it yourself 😉 leave at stock if you dont want to mess with it.

3 years is nice.

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

yes unless you destroy it yourself

it wont, unless you destroy it yourself 😉 leave at stock if you dont want to mess with it.

3 years is nice.

@hollyh88

I mean that's the thing it's factory OC.

I'm not gonna mess with it at all. 😁😇

But if it's factory OC like isn't stock supposed to be not overclocked ?

On 9/12/2023 at 7:41 PM, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

Aren't those 3 the best ones ?

If you can name a few more i'd appreciate it - over the years i kinda stayed away from GAINWARD and PALIT because they seem to be worse in terms of quality.

MSI actually has a horrible reputation as an AIB.

Some of there models are great but they really do create some crap aswell.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

8 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

I mean that's the thing it's factory OC.

I'm not gonna mess with it at all. 😁😇

But if it's factory OC like isn't stock supposed to be not overclocked ?

A gpu will always oc. It auto overclocks or "boosts" on its own. Some just boost higher than the other with a higher value set by manufacturers like msi and such

PC: 

@hollyh88

Yeah I think my GTX 1660 SUPER also boosts a buy when gaming although on the box it doesn't say it's an OC model.

11 hours ago, Bagzie said:

MSI actually has a horrible reputation as an AIB.

Some of there models are great but they really do create some crap aswell.

@Bagzie

Yeah I heard MSI doesn't really have a good rep when it comes to GPUs.

Right now my options are : ASUS, GIGABYTE, ZOTAC.

I'm kinda leaning towards an ASUS TUF model I found.

8 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@Bagzie

Yeah I heard MSI doesn't really have a good rep when it comes to GPUs.

Right now my options are : ASUS, GIGABYTE, ZOTAC.

I'm kinda leaning towards an ASUS TUF model I found.

Why not Sapphire and PowerColor?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

59 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Why not Sapphire and PowerColor?

@RevGAM

Sapphire doesn't make Nvidia GPUs anymore, they haven't released any in years.

PowerColor - never heard of them.

EDIT

I googled PowerColor - they don't make Nvidia GPUs.

7 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

A gpu will always oc. It auto overclocks or "boosts" on its own. Some just boost higher than the other with a higher value set by manufacturers like msi and such

@hollyh88

Wanted to ask you something because i only noticed this now.

The ASUS TUF RTX 3060 i was looking at has 5 video outputs :

- 4 ports are placed horizontally on the back of the card

- 1 port, i believe it's HDMI is placed right above those 4 ports

Will that cause any issues when i install it in my case ?

My GTX 1660 SUPER has only 4 ports, it doesn't have any above - im wondering about the size and if it will fit ?

I am really worried about installing the GPU. 😟

I want to do it myself but i never actually installed other GPUs before. 😰

I only heard it's pretty easy that you place the GPU in the MOBO's slot and then connect the power cable - sorry if i sound like a noob but i'm not that good with hardware.

2 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

Wanted to ask you something because i only noticed this now.

The ASUS TUF RTX 3060 i was looking at has 5 video outputs :

- 4 ports are placed horizontally on the back of the card

- 1 port, i believe it's HDMI is placed right above those 4 ports

Will that cause any issues when i install it in my case ?

My GTX 1660 SUPER has only 4 ports, it doesn't have any above - im wondering about the size and if it will fit ?

I am really worried about installing the GPU. 😟

I want to do it myself but i never actually installed other GPUs before. 😰

I only heard it's pretty easy that you place the GPU in the MOBO's slot and then connect the power cable - sorry if i sound like a noob but i'm not that good with hardware.

will be no problem

PC: 

37 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

will be no problem

@hollyh88

Thanks !! 🙂

Any advice on how to install the GPU like physically ?

I'm kinda hoping i won't fuck up something. 😰

29 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

Thanks !! 🙂

Any advice on how to install the GPU like physically ?

I'm kinda hoping i won't fuck up something. 😰

the same way you installed the 1660 🙂 

PC: 

the same way you installed the 1660 🙂 

@hollyh88

I didn't install the GTX 1660 SUPER. 😁

A tech service where i live did - they said it was free because i had bought other parts from them back then.

6 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

I didn't install the GTX 1660 SUPER. 😁

A tech service where i live did - they said it was free because i had bought other parts from them back then.

first this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrXSLaSRkw8&t=184s&pp=ygUOaG93IHRvIHVzZSBkZHU%3D

than this,

PC: 

I wouldn't get anything with less

On 9/12/2023 at 9:23 AM, Mikey89 said:

Yeah i'll be sure to give you a call once i'm all set up there.

Jokes aside though im not sure i actually need something more than a 3060 Ti or 3070 for 1080p gaming.

Mainly because so far the current CPU is doing it's job.

With modern titles coming out even for 1080p I wouldn't want a card with less than 12GB VRAM.  IMO anything less is a "waste".  I'd rather stick with AMD if you were looking at last-generation cards.  Unless of course there is a good deal on a used 3090ti.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

@hollyh88

I probably didn't explain it well.

I meant to say : are the current cables from my PSU good to use if i switch from the 1660 super to the 3060 ?

I mean can i just replace GPUs without messing with the cables too much ?

1 minute ago, Mikey89 said:

@hollyh88

I probably didn't explain it well.

I meant to say : are the current cables from my PSU good to use if i switch from the 1660 super to the 3060 ?

I mean can i just replace GPUs without messing with the cables too much ?

yes both use 1 8pin power connector.

PC: