Possible GPU upgrade ?

Mikey89
2 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

Do i need to adjust that setting or can i leave it as the manufacturer set it at ?

Leave it at the manufacturer set fan curve. But if you want to change it in afterburner it won’t damage the card

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

39 minutes ago, filpo said:

Leave it at the manufacturer set fan curve. But if you want to change it in afterburner it won’t damage the card

@filpo

I'm only a bit concerned because if the fans turn off i don't want the GPU to have like very high idle temps.

If i decide to change the fan curve i'll let you know.

Should i maybe set the fans to run at 30% on idle like they do on my GTX 1660 SUPER ?

12 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

Should i maybe set the fans to run at 30% on idle like they do on my GTX 1660 SUPER ?

even at 20% should be fine

Current parts list

@filpo

@hollyh88

@RevGAM

The GPU arrived earlier today.

I'm gonna try to install it tomorrow or possibly the day after tomorrow depending on how much i stuff i have to solve for work but if i run into any issues with the installaion i'll let you guys know since i'm gonna be posting on the forum from my phone not the PC. 😅

@filpo

@RevGAM

Guys sorry forgot to ask something about the GPU removal from the motherboard.

I saw some videos and it seems there is a slot button that needs to be pushed when removing the card.

My confusion 

Do I press that button before I attempt to take out the GPU physically ?

Also when I put in the new GPU - do I press that after or before ?

21 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

yes

21 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

before

Current parts list

1 hour ago, Mikey89 said:

@filpo

@RevGAM

Guys sorry forgot to ask something about the GPU removal from the motherboard.

I saw some videos and it seems there is a slot button that needs to be pushed when removing the card.

My confusion 

Before anything else, remove any screws holding the GC (and bracket, if you have it). Then, make sure you're grounded. Avoid touching components and depress the lock (the button) holding the GC in place - you may find it easier to do it with a long object that isn't sharp or pointed. The GC will shift a bit and you can then lift it out. 

When inserting the new one, you shouldn't have to touch the lock because it should lock the card into place due to the insertion force. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Before anything else, remove any screws holding the GC (and bracket, if you have it). Then, make sure you're grounded. Avoid touching components and depress the lock (the button) holding the GC in place - you may find it easier to do it with a long object that isn't sharp or pointed. The GC will shift a bit and you can then lift it out. 

When inserting the new one, you shouldn't have to touch the lock because it should lock the card into place due to the insertion force. 

@RevGAM

Well i'm gonna try to not touch any of them, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to because the GPU will be like barely a few centimeters away from the motherboard.

If i do touch something, would i risk damaging any of the other components ?

11 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

Well i'm gonna try to not touch any of them, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to because the GPU will be like barely a few centimeters away from the motherboard.

If i do touch something, would i risk damaging any of the other components ?

Not if you're grounded... Unless you're really clumsy. 😉 I also meant the components on the GC.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

6 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Not if you're grounded... Unless you're really clumsy. 😉 I also meant the components on the GC.

@RevGAM

Wait.

Uh you mean if i touch the GPU parts ?

Uh i'm gonna have to hold it with at least 1 hand if not 2 because i heard you have to "press it" to get in the MOBO. 😬😰

17 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

Wait.

Uh you mean if i touch the GPU parts ?

Uh i'm gonna have to hold it with at least 1 hand if not 2 because i heard you have to "press it" to get in the MOBO. 😬😰

Relax. Just hold the edges. 

@filpo

@RevGAM

Guys i was looking at the PC earlier and my current GTX 1660 SUPER is kinda "sitting" exactly on that PCIE button on the MOBO like maybe 2 milimeters away from it but i do have like 1 centimeter of the button sticking up.

Also i am not sure if i have 1 or 2 buttons like in parallel for that PCIE slot on my MOBO

If there are 2 buttons is it safe if i press only 1 button to get the old card out ?

Or do i have to press both of them ?

I don't know if i'll actually be able to get my hand on the lower button because it seems there isn't much space.

37 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@filpo

@RevGAM

Guys i was looking at the PC earlier and my current GTX 1660 SUPER is kinda "sitting" exactly on that PCIE button on the MOBO like maybe 2 milimeters away from it but i do have like 1 centimeter of the button sticking up.

Also i am not sure if i have 1 or 2 buttons like in parallel for that PCIE slot on my MOBO

If there are 2 buttons is it safe if i press only 1 button to get the old card out ?

Or do i have to press both of them ?

I don't know if i'll actually be able to get my hand on the lower button because it seems there isn't much space.

The only lock, unless you have some kind of deluxe unit, is at the base of the card/ rear end of the slot. A photo would help, and please indicate the buttons you are referring to. 

2 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

The only lock, unless you have some kind of deluxe unit, is at the base of the card/ rear end of the slot. A photo would help, and please indicate the buttons you are referring to. 

@RevGAM

In this photo the slot has like 2 buttons in parallel

Is it enough to press only 1 to release the card ?

Just now, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

In this photo

Yes, that is the standard lock. It is one piece of plastic with a groove in the middle. My guess is that the groove reduces tension when it's depressed. It's accessible on both sides of the slot for our convenience. 

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

Yes, that is the standard lock. It is one piece of plastic with a groove in the middle. My guess is that the groove reduces tension when it's depressed. It's accessible on both sides of the slot for our convenience. 

@RevGAM

Yes !

That i was also thinking about - i just wasn't sure if i like had to press BOTH pieces of plastic at the same time. 😅

3 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

Yes !

That i was also thinking about - i just wasn't sure if i like had to press BOTH pieces of plastic at the same time. 😅

Now go for it and post a photo when you're all done and everything is working. 😀

Just now, RevGAM said:

Now go for it and post a photo when you're all done and everything is working. 😀

@RevGAM

Well technically i haven't started yet - currently trying to save some files for work.

I was mostly scoping out the PC interior before i start.

@filpo

@RevGAM

I finished installing the GPU ! 😁🏆

I am confused about something though.

When i booted the PC - MSI Afterburner said it was around 39-40'C with the FANS OFF.

In MSI i clicked the little gear icon where it said "user define" but then i clicked it again and it's set to 0% fan speed.

But my temps is now 37'C instead of 40'C - is that normal ?

What should i do ?

4060 fan speed.jpg

58 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@filpo

@RevGAM

I finished installing the GPU ! 😁🏆

I am confused about something though.

When i booted the PC - MSI Afterburner said it was around 39-40'C with the FANS OFF.

In MSI i clicked the little gear icon where it said "user define" but then i clicked it again and it's set to 0% fan speed.

But my temps is now 37'C instead of 40'C - is that normal ?

What should i do ?

4060 fan speed.jpg

GC fans tend to park when the temps aren't high enough. 

17 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

GC fans tend to park when the temps aren't high enough. 

@RevGAM

I just saw, i left my PC for 1 hour with youtube running.

My idle temp increased to 42'C from 37'C.

Should i set the fans to like auto mode ?

@filpo

Should i use in MSI the auto-mode ?

The user defined puts the fans at 40% i think if i use that.

I think my idle temps will drop a lot i if i use that.

4060 auto mode.jpg

42 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

I just saw, i left my PC for 1 hour with youtube running.

My idle temp increased to 42'C from 37'C.

Should i set the fans to like auto mode ?

Whatever makes you feel comfortable...

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

Whatever makes you feel comfortable...

@RevGAM

How can i see the fan % the manufacturer set it at in auto-mode ?

Not really sure what fan speed to use or if i should it let it be with them turned off.

1 minute ago, Mikey89 said:

@RevGAM

How can i see the fan % the manufacturer set it at in auto-mode ?

Not really sure what fan speed to use or if i should it let it be with them turned off.

I've not used Afterburner...