Possible GPU upgrade ?

Mikey89

@filpo

Uh where exactly do i find 4G in the BIOS, which menu ?

The BIOS always scare the fuck out of me whenever i need to use it to reinstall the OS. 😁

Also shoudn't 4G be auto-enabled ?

I mean if it needs to access more VRAM for games - isn't done automatically ?

26 minutes ago, filpo said:

Rebar is only supported on ryzen 5000 and upfor nvidia gpus but you’re right about that ‘above 4g decoding’ bit

ReBAR improves FPS a bit on newer Nvidia cards like the 4060 Ti. I wouldn't say it's critical but it helps. It's more important on AMD GCs, though.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

9 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

ReBAR improves FPS a bit on newer Nvidia cards like the 4060 Ti. I wouldn't say it's critical but it helps. It's more important on AMD GCs, though.

But their cpu doesn’t support it so it doesn’t matter anyway. It helps on newer cards only cuz of the bud width. If they didn’t reduce that we might’ve not even needed rebar in general. But ye I get your point

13 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

Also shoudn't 4G be auto-enabled ?

It should, but on older gpus and mobos it’s not available (it is on yours) so it’s not standardised yet. Also some gpus don’t even have more than 4 gigs so for some it would be pointless. Not in your case tho

14 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

sn't done automatically ?

Nope, since it’s enabled in your bios and isn’t dependent on your gpu, but on your mobo

btw you should fine above 4g decoding in the advanced section of your mobo

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-find-the-4g-decoding-option-in-my-bios.3742947/

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

6 minutes ago, filpo said:

But their cpu doesn’t support it so it doesn’t matter anyway. It helps on newer cards only cuz of the bud width. If they didn’t reduce that we might’ve not even needed rebar in general. But ye I get your point

It should, but on older gpus and mobos it’s not available (it is on yours) so it’s not standardised yet. Also some gpus don’t even have more than 4 gigs so for some it would be pointless. Not in your case tho

Nope, since it’s enabled in your bios and isn’t dependent on your gpu, but on your mobo

btw you should fine above 4g decoding in the advanced section of your mobo

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-find-the-4g-decoding-option-in-my-bios.3742947/

@filpo

Thanks for that link but i will have to search manually i think because that guy is on a ASUS MOBO from tom's hardware forums and i'm on a GIGABYTE MOBO so i think the UEFI might be a bit different.

But my MOBO was released in 2020 and the RTX 4060 in 2022 so they're both not that old - wouldn't 4G decoding be auto-enabled ?

If i remember right i think you mentioned it needs to be manually enabled on older hardware ?

2 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

wouldn't 4G decoding be auto-enabled ?

It’s not standardised as the standard for BIOSes was made quite a while ago. And everyone has a different pc so some people would enable it while others might not 

older hardware ?

Newer

Thanks for that link but i will have to search manually i think because that guy is on an ASUS MOBO from tom's hardware forums.

Which mobo do you have? Gigabyte right?

it should be found in the advanced section

Current parts list

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

It’s not standardised as the standard for BIOSes was made quite a while ago. And everyone has a different pc so some people would enable it while others might not 

Newer

Which mobo do you have? Gigabyte right?

it should be found in the advanced section

@filpo

I'm on the GIGABYTE B550M DS3H

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-15#kf

@filpo

I'm on the GIGABYTE B550M DS3H

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-15#kf

Ye in your bios above 4g decoding should be in the advanced mode of your biosimage.png.330c5b7e278ebec2208203fd414fef20.png

Current parts list

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

Ye in your bios above 4g decoding should be in the advanced mode of your biosimage.png.330c5b7e278ebec2208203fd414fef20.png

@filpo

Also 1 question about the ASUS TUF RTX 3060.

Since that GPU is way longer - will it just sit in the case with only that 1 screw when mounting ?

I mean wouldn't it like go down a bit ? 🤔

Since that GPU is way longer - will it just sit in the case with only that 1 screw when mounting ?

Yes it would, you would screw it into the case tho

3 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

mean wouldn't it like go down a bit ? 🤔

A bit but it won’t be anything that would be damaging. If you need an anti sag bracket then you could pick this up and decide yourself after you get the gpu if you need a large one or a small one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graphics-Brace-Support-Holder-Bracket/dp/B09FPJL1KY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=2EOG2FK5IZIAV&keywords=anti+sag+bracket&qid=1694876216&sprefix=anti+sag+%2Caps%2C736&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Current parts list

6 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

@filpo

Also 1 question about the ASUS TUF RTX 3060.

I mean wouldn't it like go down a bit ? 🤔

Sag is definitely an issue because many GCs aren't designed to properly transfer the weight from the GC to the frame. Thus, you can either spend money to buy an anti-sag bracket, or make your own from wood, plastic or whatever. I made mine from a golf pencil and an earbud rubber since the bracket I already had wasn't compatible with the replacement that XFX sent (they switched me from SWFT 319 to MERC 319, which has no bolt holes to attach the far end of the bar).

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

3 minutes ago, filpo said:

Yes it would, you would screw it into the case tho

A bit but it won’t be anything that would be damaging. If you need an anti sag bracket then you could pick this up and decide yourself after you get the gpu if you need a large one or a small one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graphics-Brace-Support-Holder-Bracket/dp/B09FPJL1KY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?crid=2EOG2FK5IZIAV&keywords=anti+sag+bracket&qid=1694876216&sprefix=anti+sag+%2Caps%2C736&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

@filpo

@RevGAM

The ASUS DUAL RTX 4060 it is then !!! 😁😅🙂

Also guys MANY MANY MANY THANK YOUS for all the help so far. 🥇🏆🙏

If i run into anymore issues i will let you know - i need to order it first but i've been swamped at work these past days and haven't got around to ordering it yet. 🙂

1 minute ago, Mikey89 said:

@filpo

@RevGAM

The ASUS DUAL RTX 4060 it is then !!! 😁😅🙂

Also guys MANY MANY MANY THANK YOUS for all the help so far. 🥇🏆🙏

If i run into anymore issues i will let you know - i need to order it first but i've been swamped at work these past days and haven't got around to ordering it yet. 🙂

Thank Holly and Filpo. I only helped a little. I hope you enjoy your GC!

30 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Thank Holly and Filpo. I only helped a little. I hope you enjoy your GC!

Still added points of substance

27 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

YOU ALL HELPED !!! 🥇🏆🙏

@hollyh88

@filpo

@RevGAM

MANY MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU !! 🥇🥇🥇🏆🏆🏆🙏

No problem. Just mention us if you need help

Current parts list

30 minutes ago, filpo said:

Still added points of substance

No problem. Just mention us if you need help

@filpo

Will be sure to do that. 👍🙂

@filpo

@RevGAM

I forgot to mention something - i'm using 2 monitors

1) LG 24" at 1080p

2) LG 22" at 16:10 aspect ratio and 1680 x 1050 (about 900p)

Sometimes i like to switch between them - would the 4060 cause bottleneck ?

Also i'm guessing 16:10 aspect ratio isn't a problem on the 2nd monitor ?

9 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

@filpo

But we're those 2 websites accurate though ?

I mean that percentage they calculated.

Bottleneck calculators are definitely not something that you should rely on. They use random figures that aren't real world scenarios. I'd always check reddit or post a question somewhere asking people with those same specs and see if they have any issues. At 1080p, a 3600 would possibly bottleneck a 4060, but at 1440p or higher, I don't think that it would be an issue. At 1080p, CPUs are almost always the bottleneck.

A 5600X is a perfect CPU to go with if you did want a quick upgrade on the same platform. If you wanted a bigger bump and future compatibility, AM5 is the way to go.

3 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

Sometimes i like to switch between them - would the 4060 cause bottleneck ?

nope

3 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

Also i'm guessing 16:10 aspect ratio isn't a problem on the 2nd monitor ?

nope

Current parts list

@filpo

@hollyh88

@RevGAM

I am waiting on the GPU to arrive - the store called me and said it will take about 5-10 working days.

I forgot to ask something.

If i want to adjust the fan curve or the fan speed of the GPU what should i use ?

MSI Afterburner maybe ?

Do i still need to go in the UEFI or can i just use MSI Afterburner directly ?

Also is adjusting the fan curve and the fan speed the same thing ?

The software (from Nvidia, AMD or Intel) that goes with a the card's GPU (it's actually a graphics or video card, and the processor on it is the GPU, but everyone for some reason ignores this and calls the cards GPUs) can be used to adjust the fan curve/speed. Fan curves control the speed the fans operate at based on the temperature and operate on a percentage basis rather than amps, watts or volts since every fan model is different. A flat speed can be assigned, too.

BIOS doesn't have the ability to control GC fans - at least not that I'm aware of.

2 hours ago, Mikey89 said:

MSI Afterburner maybe ?

Yup

Do i still need to go in the UEFI or can i just use MSI Afterburner directly ?

You can use afterburner directly 

Also is adjusting the fan curve and the fan speed the same thing ?

The fan curve is the adjusted and set before hand ramping of the fans and the fan speed is just the speed of the fan. But if you adjust the fan curve accordingly you could make the fan speed go up or down

Current parts list

19 minutes ago, filpo said:

Yup

You can use afterburner directly 

The fan curve is the adjusted and set before hand ramping of the fans and the fan speed is just the speed of the fan. But if you adjust the fan curve accordingly you could make the fan speed go up or down

@filpo

Uhm well i never really had to adjust my fan curve or the fan speed for my GTX 1660 SUPER.

If i use MSI is it possible i could fuck up something and potentially damage the GPU ?

@filpo

Uhm well i never really had to adjust my fan curve or the fan speed for my GTX 1660 SUPER.

If i use MSI is it possible i could fuck up something and potentially damage the GPU ?

Unless you basically turn your fans off, or set them so low that they don't properly cool your GPU, no. Honestly, you should be okay with the default settings. The Nvidia Control Panel should be able to handle your needs. https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/537.42/537.42-nvidia-control-panel-quick-start-guide.pdf

18 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Unless you basically turn your fans off, or set them so low that they don't properly cool your GPU, no. Honestly, you should be okay with the default settings. The Nvidia Control Panel should be able to handle your needs. https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/537.42/537.42-nvidia-control-panel-quick-start-guide.pdf

@RevGAM

Turn the fans off ??

But on that GPU that i ordered i think they are will turn off like below 50'C because it has a 0 db feature.

Do i need to adjust that setting or can i leave it as the manufacturer set it at ?

This is the card

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-DisplayPort-2-5-Slot-Axial-tech-Technology/dp/B0C7YPGFFW