Predictions Ahead of Apple Event Tomorrow

Highlights:
1) Apple Unveils USB-C iPhone(s) with a spin on the benefits of "Made For iPhone" Cables
2) Apple fans become generally upset over having to replace all of their lightning cables
3) Android users talk for months about how long Android phones have had USB-C, and how Apple is late to the game, doesn't innovate, etc. 

4) General spec bump for rest of product stack (iPad, Mac, Watch, etc.)

Wildcard: Apple launches a "portless" iPhone model. I don't have much to go on, but would be a very apple move in response to the EU order, which requires devices with WIRED charging to use USB-C

Context: Former Android, now iPhone User. 

Edited by Timotheus865
Per Mod request: Edited to remove use of the term "fanboy." Intent was to not be demeaning. Apologies for that.

6 minutes ago, Timotheus865 said:

Highlights:
1) Apple Unveils USB-C iPhone(s) with a spin on the benefits of "Made For iPhone" Cables
2) Apple Fanboys melt down over having to replace all of their lightning cables
3) Android Fanboys talk for months about how long Android phones have had USB-C, and how Apple is late to the game, doesn't innovate, etc. 

Wildcard: Apple launches a "portless" iPhone model. I don't have much to go on, but would be a very apple move in response to the EU order, which requires devices with WIRED charging to use USB-C

I didn't even know there was an event scheduled. In my opinion they hired the wrong cook to prepare the feast. 

36 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I didn't even know there was an event scheduled. In my opinion they hired the wrong cook to prepare the feast. 

Who do you think would have been the "right" cook?

49 minutes ago, Timotheus865 said:

EU updated the bill so they can't do this. Which imo is good even though I prefer Lightning as a physical connector - wireless charging isn't as good as wired

elephants

17 minutes ago, WhitetailAni said:

EU updated the bill so they can't do this. Which imo is good even though I prefer Lightning as a physical connector - wireless charging isn't as good as wired

Interesting. Must have missed the update to that. Personally I would have been indifferent. made the switch to wireless/ qi for my phone when I got the iPhone X, and have been using the same chargers since then. 

Curious about the preference for lightning over USB-C though. Any particular reason? I've not unified everything in my life to USB-C, but in my experience the durability seems fine either way. 

Imma say this is just speculation, and sorry if i sound kinda like an asshole in this post. I'm kinda just very opinionated abt this haha.

It's pretty much confirmed the new iphone will have USB-C (at least as far as i'm concerned)

2 hours ago, Timotheus865 said:

Apple Fanboys melt down over having to replace all of their lightning cables

Yes, people who use iPhones won't like how they now have to replace every single cable they have and that they probably spent like $50+ on collectivly, this happened in 2012 when they switched to lightening.

2 hours ago, Timotheus865 said:

General spec bump for rest of product stack (iPad, Mac, Watch, etc.)

There prob will be a new watch announced, although i doubt there will be any new crazy macs. They just launched m2 last year. Although they may make new ones. tbh i don't keep up w macs to much.

Maybe there will be a new airpod pros which have usb-c and lossless audio, although i doubt it since it took 3 years for them to refresh the airpod pros, and the 2nd gen launched last year. Although we never know. Or maybe there will be some type of buyback program to upgrade airpods to usb-c. Although i highly doubt that. It's apple we're talking about

1 hour ago, Retro_R said:

sorry if i sound kinda like an asshole in this post. I'm kinda just very opinionated abt this haha.

You good. It's the internet. Intent is hard to convey sometimes. No asshole detected. 

1 hour ago, Retro_R said:

Yes, people who use iPhones won't like how they now have to replace every single cable they have and that they probably spent like $50+ on collectivly, this happened in 2012 when they switched to lightening.

This was mostly thrown in for humor (same goes for item 3 on my list). My overall point is that outside of USB-C being "officially" announced to the "tech normie" public, it's probably going to be a lackluster live stream. I'm curious about the colors for the non-pro models given that the supposed pro model colors are so boring, but outside of that my guess it it'll be pretty "meh". 

14 minutes ago, Timotheus865 said:

My overall point is that outside of USB-C being "officially" announced to the "tech normie" public

Yeah, i get that. Although you could say that has already kinda happened, since the macs have switched to USB-c a long time ago and the iPads too, although i get the point, especially since the iPhones are arguable a WAY bigger part of their line up

15 minutes ago, Timotheus865 said:

it's probably going to be a lackluster live stream

meh, i'm kinda excited about the dynamic island coming to the 'budget' models (at least allegedly). I may have to get those ones bc they're also supposed to up the price by $100, although they also said that last year and that was phoney. Although that may also come with a bump in the base stroage model. Hopefully that also translates in "cheaper" upgrades for that storage.

New (bigger) M2 chip. Maybe demo of M3.
More of the same, just newer, new iteration of iphone and al.

Touting USB-C as some sort of innovation for the iphone (though remains to be seen if they will make use of USB-C speeds or just the connector while keeping it as USB 2.0 speed, still.)

I doubt this, but maybe a roadmap for the future where they phase out USB entirely in favor of "icloud" and wireless charging.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 hours ago, Timotheus865 said:

Highlights:
2) Apple fans become generally upset over having to replace all of their lightning cables
3) Android users talk for months about how long Android phones have had USB-C, and how Apple is late to the game, doesn't innovate, etc. 

I hope 'made for iphone cables' dont happen that is so backwards and agaisnt right 2 repair

4 hours ago, LordGreyAcademy said:

I hope 'made for iphone cables' dont happen that is so backwards and agaisnt right 2 repair

I hope it doesn’t, but I don’t know if it’s really anti RTR. All it would do is open up things like higher data transfers & charging Speeds for MFI cables, & non  MFI cables would just be slower at a lower cost. I don't think they could get away with an MFI requirement for a cable to work at all. If that was the case, then I would agree that it would be very much so anti RTR. 

Anyone thing they're going to switch to M chips for their Pro models at any point?

Very happy to see AV1 added to the A17 Pro. It was really about time. 

lol iPhone 15 USB-C is only USB 2.0 speeds. Very Apple move.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

2 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

lol iPhone 15 USB-C is only USB 2.0 speeds. Very Apple move.

Meh. As long as it works for charging, and we can finally have one charging cable to rule them all, I'll be a happy bunny. Taking large files off your phone, by cable, is a pretty niche activity. Rumour is that the pro model will allow faster transfer speeds, which is what you'd be using if you're shooting a lot of high-res video. 

It is a shitty move, and seemingly done for no good reason other than Apple's disdain for its customers. But It won't affect many users. It's certainly less egregious than the soldered SSDs in MacBooks...