Does HP abuse the customer?

AmitTwo

Hello 

I would like to hear other people opinions about this case, maybe I'm wrong and HP is on the right here. 

I believe HP are over-charging me when I have little choice.

So I have HP omen 16" laptop, and it's screen became black a few days ago (online search discover that it happen to other users quite a lot). Laptop is working fine with external monitor.

HP price for the panel is 570usd (american). Lab cost total is 700usd.  A 16" 1440p 165hz panel. 

Here in the philippines I can buy 52" samsung 4k entry TV, or dell Ultrasharp 32" 4k with delivery (and that will be a complete product).

So how come that panel cost 570 usd?

Am I wrong here or they are using my dependency on them to over charge me? 

Their online support is moving me between bots ( I believe it's a bot because it repeat the same answer).

Would love to know your opinion 

Laptop repairs are expensive, and TVs are cheap. The cost of the screen is more expensive than I would expect, but I think that is a bit due to your physical location.

After looking at ebay I am guessing they are trying to replace your entire screen assembly, not just the screen and the prices aren't that far off from ebay as far as I can tell without an exact model.

HP OMEN 16-k0023dx 16.1" Complete WQHD LCD Display Screen Assembly GRADE A | eBay

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

17 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Laptop repairs are expensive, and TVs are cheap. The cost of the screen is more expensive than I would expect, but I think that is a bit due to your physical location.

After looking at ebay I am guessing they are trying to replace your entire screen assembly, not just the screen and the prices aren't that far off from ebay as far as I can tell without an exact model.

HP OMEN 16-k0023dx 16.1" Complete WQHD LCD Display Screen Assembly GRADE A | eBay

Thank you tho they are clearly referring to the panel not the entire structure as far as I see

Screenshot_20230906_214034_Samsung Notes.jpg

2 minutes ago, AmitTwo said:

Thank you tho they are clearly referring to the panel not the entire structure as far as I see

Screenshot_20230906_214034_Samsung Notes.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285376371158

Here is the same model number on ebay. I would do it myself personally.

Main Gaming Machine

9 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Bro thank you ap much 

I see the letters are a little different between what is written on their price offer then the ebay seller

How can I confirm that this will connect ?

Also, how do I close the plastic after? I need a special glue? 

57 minutes ago, AmitTwo said:

Here in the philippines I can buy 52" samsung 4k entry TV, or dell Ultrasharp 32" 4k with delivery (and that will be a complete product).

tvs are cheap. Theyre subsidized for companies by ads and deals, so they are usually pricing them at or below their manufacturing cost.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, AmitTwo said:

Bro thank you ap much 

I see the letters are a little different between what is written on their price offer then the ebay seller

How can I confirm that this will connect ?

Also, how do I close the plastic after? I need a special glue? 

I would look at videos on youtube on how to do it. I have only done a couple of screens on laptops and they were clips but that can always be different. Probably won't be that different from this video: 

The seller says "Please Note: We May Send Compatible Part Number" So I would contact them with model number and they will probably get you right - ebay has pretty good buyer protections.

Main Gaming Machine

58 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

tvs are cheap. Theyre subsidized for companies by ads and deals, so they are usually pricing them at or below their manufacturing cost.

Also, TVs are high volume, unlike 165hz laptop panels. And of course, manufactures aren't all that keen on repairing devices and price parts accordingly.

55 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

The seller says "Please Note: We May Send Compatible Part Number"

which means: "we will send you something with the same resoltion and connector, good luck for the rest of it."

having that said, HP's out of warranty repairs are expensive, that's a very valid concern. but i've seen a lot of out of warranty repairs (having worked in IT for 6-ish years) and HP -at least in belgium- always does a very good job at the repair itself (nothing else bodged in the process...) and the parts they replace always appear to be properly new off-the-shelf units straight from production, which is something that cant be said of other brands, and cant necessarily be said about aftermarket displays either.

i have two laptops with an aftermarket display in them, both are very visibly manufacturing rejects or knockoffs. one's not centered in the frame, and the other has some oddities in the backlight. i've never seen that with a first party repair *for HP*...

now.. i have many things to say about lenovo first party repairs. even in-warranty they honestly dont seem to give a f*ck... i've even seen a motherboard get replaced with another equally broken motherboard. for all the expensive that HP is, they at least deliver on what they promise.

EDIT: and microsoft surface repairss are essentially just "buying a refurb"...

I see it more of both economies of scale + paying for inconvenience. HP like most brands would rather you buy new when something breaks than repair it. Due to how much HP sells, they even earn more than if you were to repair.

Since it's an inconvenience, HP charges a premium on repairs so new device is not so far off. If customer doesn't want to pay all the money, then they're gonna have to pay a lot of money, missing out on savings.

They know you're stuck in a corner so they gonna milk you as much as they can, you don't really have an option.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

2 hours ago, venomtail said:

I see it more of both economies of scale + paying for inconvenience. HP like most brands would rather you buy new when something breaks than repair it. Due to how much HP sells, they even earn more than if you were to repair.

Since it's an inconvenience, HP charges a premium on repairs so new device is not so far off. If customer doesn't want to pay all the money, then they're gonna have to pay a lot of money, missing out on savings.

They know you're stuck in a corner so they gonna milk you as much as they can, you don't really have an option.

i think -from the viewpoint of how the infrastructure is in belgium- for HP it's more a case of their repair infrastructure is *actually* very expensive to run, because their service techs actually show up VERY fast, with a known good part.

10 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

as someone who repaired laptops,  nah, its a 20 minutes job if you got the tools etc. and of course the screen is overpriced too.

ps: yeah,  they're scamming op and nothing they can do about it i suppose. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Its the worse support I ever got. They abuse the costumer.

You ask for help-> they say the case is being elevated -> a new ticket is opened in your email -> day goes by -> tomorrow a new representative tells you the same 

And repeat, for about a weekScreenshot_20230907_101019_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.922ae927e187a260f067631ec5d231de.jpg

I suggest to stay away from that brand 

14 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

You were right . That is the panel . And this is how much they charge.  37000peso is around 600usd. 

20230907_115842.jpg

A few years ago I had an issue with the scanner on an HP multifunction device. Instead of scanning the entire page it would scan the top third three times on any PC. Copying still worked fine. Sounds like a firmware issue, if you ask me, but the HP support insisted they had to replace the scanning unit. Their quote for the scanning unit was 30% higher than the buying price of a printer less than two years old.

In the end they unintentionally fixed the issue for me. They recommended for troubleshooting to scan to USB, which miraculously not only worked but cleared the issue scanning to a PC.

tl;dr

In my experience HP support is not very competent and replacement parts are priced way too high. I recommend to consult an independent repair shop, they might find other solutions. It might just be the display cable which needs replacement.

Having had various HP devices over the years, as well as other computers ... HP is about industry standard.  So yeah they abuse the customer. 

Sent a laptop for repair by HP, in warranty.... and they lost it for like 6 months.  Then replaced it with a better version so it's all good.  Other than that I needed a new computer to do my job for six months!

10 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Having had various HP devices over the years, as well as other computers ... HP is about industry standard.  So yeah they abuse the customer. 

Sent a laptop for repair by HP, in warranty.... and they lost it for like 6 months.  Then replaced it with a better version so it's all good.  Other than that I needed a new computer to do my job for six months!

I feel like all companies are kind of bad at costumer service unless you are a large company or famous of some sort sadly.

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

as someone who repaired laptops,  nah, its a 20 minutes job if you got the tools etc. and of course the screen is overpriced too.

ps: yeah,  they're scamming op and nothing they can do about it i suppose. 

I don't disagree. Just because it should be a cheap fix doesn't mean it is. As said, there is a ton of overcharging happening.

Main Gaming Machine

HP's products constitute abuse of the customer in and of themselves. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

HP laptops I love for their ease of repair (model depenedent), they give you the entire service manual and every part number for every sku of laptops. A shop that carries some parts (not many, its not a front for repair shops). You can go and get whatever part you need off ebay or alibaba with the part numbers and know you are getting the correct part, and with the repair manual you are not going in blind. 

No I do not think HP is abusing the customer, even when they charge to fix. Their pricing is not based off of some Chinese manufacturer deciding to make copy parts (not always the case, just some times).

These displays in a repair setting are very low volume, there is no economy of scale or smart TV subsidies going on. 

Is shipping and handling part of the 570?

Their online help becoming just bots I hate with a burning passion though. Its pulling teeth with those bots.

HPs other consumer departments outside of laptops leaves a lot to be desired

6 hours ago, starsmine said:

HPs other consumer departments outside of laptops leaves a lot to be desired

HP generally has two service channels (ignoring HPE stuff in this regard)

- standard service

- premium service (part of the sales pitch on elitebooks, hp envy, and up.) where you get actually useful people once you know how to poke them correctly.