Has your view of LTT or Linus changed?

dizmo

Has the last couple of weeks changed your view of LTT/Linus  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Has the last couple of weeks changed your view of LTT/Linus

• Yes, negatively of both
    • Yes, but only negatively of Linus
    • Yes, but only negatively of LTT
    • No, I feel the same as before (positively of both)
    • No, I feel the same as before (postively only of Linus)
    • No, I feel the same as before (positively only of LTT)
    • No, I feel the same as before (negatively of both)
    • No, I feel the same as before (negatively of Linus)
    • No, I feel the same as before (negatively of LTT)
    • I couldn't care less
    • I feel more positively about Linus and/or LTT

Same as before he is good person, maybe not make employees work so hard. I felt that even before, so no change. For example asking employees to come help in for moving. Although you are giving them money to do it, some might feel saying no is not good.

7 hours ago, Moonzy said:

To me it's personal

Lost all respect I had for the man after that

Interesting, though I imagine sometimes he's a little frazzled and he might have posted that at a low time. If it happened frequently, then I'd see it as more of an issue. Do you have that post saved? It's from almost 2 years ago. Sometimes you need to let things go 😉 (not saying that as a shot, but if it still gets to you, it's not good for mental health).

7 hours ago, Fnige said:

Oh yeah linus is legitimately that kind of person.

I guess after all, never meet the people who you look up to. They turn out to be a bit of an ass usually

I mean you can't really base an entire persons personality on a post they made.

6 hours ago, Marhier said:

I heavily reduced my viewership of the spin-off LMG channels in response to the resolution of clickbait titles.

My level of concern would have been mitigated had the clickbait been accompanied by comprehensive context, which I distinctly recall was initially pledged by Linus during the initial discourse on the matter.

From the commencement of the Short Circuit series, I promptly developed a sense of disenchantment towards the individuals operating behind the camera, who exhibited an escalating frequency of attempts at humor. This source of irritation was particularly pronounced in instances where Adam assumed a role behind the camera, as it appeared that his interjections followed each of the presenter's paragraphs.

There exists a multitude of organisational aspects within LMG that necessitate rectification, a significant portion of which pertains to personnel displaying incompetence or creating a sense of vexation.

You know, come to think of it that's probably when I really stopped watching most of their videos as well. It seems to have just gone downhill from there, for me at least.

6 hours ago, okkee said:

Hasn't really changed my view on both. Both still just ok. LTT definitely needs to up its HR/PR tho.

Haha, yeah. I think their HR department is mostly fine, but they definitely need to control their outward image a bit better...aka control Linus. There's things you can get away with as a small company that really don't fly as you grow larger.

6 hours ago, Arika said:

i will say it's been quite fun to be someone who just doesn't care. i neither support nor hate LMG based on the current information, they are just kind of "there".

So the insanity on both sides of the scale has been somewhat enjoyable to see the people defending LMG with every fibre of their being like Linus is a personal friend and the people are the actively picking apart everything to find the most incorrect interpretation of the situation to fuel their anger for all things LMG

Haha yeah, the haters of the merch is the funniest thing for me. If you don't like what it costs, don't buy it; there's no need to be butt hurt about it.

5 hours ago, McGherkin said:

I have to say that the way Linus handled, and continues to handle, this has been terrible. The constant jabs at GN have been quite pathetic, frankly. All they did is call you out with facts, that’s their job and that’s what they said they’d do. I doubt the original video was even particularly personal. It’s a shame because Linus’s takes on random topics on WAN are generally pretty fun to listen to, but he definitely has gone down in my estimations.

I’d like to say that LMG as a whole though I want to give the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully Terren has laid down the law and it does seem like the others at the head of the table understand what upset the community and how to fix it. Time will tell, but the responses to the issues brought up by GN’s video seem to be the right ones.

What still hasn’t been addressed is the Madison allegations. I don’t know how that’s going to play out but I think that’s going to be my biggest influence on whether I still support LMG.

I doubt they'll fully talk about the Madison stuff, both for the reason of it being no one's business but theirs, but more importantly the legal ramifications that can come from it.

5 hours ago, Basti0815 said:

For me, LTT is entertainment, and last week was everything but entertainment. All the whining about alleged working conditions or the fact that a cooler that is completely overpriced was criticized just like that ruins the fun. But that's not because of LTT or Linus, but because of all the haters.

You can always criticize everything, let he who is perfect cast the first stone.

The fact it was overpriced in his eyes wasn't the entire issue though, it was actually a very small part. The bigger issue by far was that they tested it on something it wasn't designed for in the first place, and based decisions on that. Which is incredibly irresponsible for someone in their position.

5 hours ago, Phil57 said:

Despite the range of options, I think I fall into "None of the above".

How so? Glad you asked. 😄

I have always had two opinions - one of Linus, one of LMG/LTT.  That is where my problem with fitting into those options lies.

Of Linus, I don't know the guy. I enjoy the WAN show enough to watch it quite a bit, and get enough of a view into certain areas of tech for it to be worth watching it, most of the time. Yeah, I often enjoy the entertainment aspects but, as Linus himself has often pointed out, "on-camera Linus" is not "off-camera Linus". It's a fake personality, and he's acting. I don't know off-camera Linus at all, but could take a guess at a character attribute or two just from knowing what it takes to drive a company from nohing, to LMG today. But then, that's also at least partly a view of what I'll call "Livonne", as it's taken both, and they seem, business-wise at least, to be highly complementary. Linus is just far more public-facing and gets wat comes from that, both good and bad. As for Linus personaly, well, he seems a bit OCD in places but, I still watch the WAN show and get a degree of insight from it .... and probably as much from Luke as Linus.

So really, I think neither positively nor negatiely of Linus. So he has feet of clay, makes mistakes and sometimes, can be an insensitve ass. So can I. So can we all. Show me someone claiming they aren't, and I'll show you either a Saint, or a self-deluded fool. And without knowing, in far more detail than I do or ever will, what his daily schedule and pressure levels are, I refuse to read too much into being an "insensittive ass". It's all very well criticising his sensitivity from the far side of a computer screen but unless you were there, and know just how busy andor pressured he was and how much he was trying to juggle at the exact time any "insensitive" remark was made, it's ignorant to judge his personality over it. 

The videos, and WAN show comments about why he stood down as CEO were, I thought, illuminating. Paraphrasing, he said something like "I'm trying to make million-dollar investment decisions, meet a grueling filming schedule, run 120 staff and yet, here I am having to mediate over which snacks are or aren't available in the office kitchen".

There's an old shaggy dog story, for which the punchline is "when you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember the initial objective was to drain the swamp". When you're buried in work, have 30-hours of stuff to do and 24-hours of time to do it in, well, he's the very model of sensitivity compared to me if I were to get pestered about kitchen snacks. Believe me, do that to e and I (verbally) bite. Like a family of alligators.

Does any of that excuse him being "insensitive" on occasion? No. He owes a duty of care to all staff, and has a respnsibility to customers/viewers too. But it does go a long way to help understand how things can happen, and how "insensitivty" might, and I sress "might" just refect work load and pressure. That "reshoot costs $500" decision? The wrong decision, obviously, but was it just an incorrect snap judgment while trying to juggle 50 other important isses? I have no idea, because I wasn't there but NOBODY gets every singledecision right 100% of the time, even if they're not up to their ass in alligators at the time. 😉

I don't judge Linus because I don't know him at all, let alone well enough to do so. I get what I expect from screen-Linus, which is a bit of entertainment and a bit of industry insight. If I stop getting it, I'll stop watching.

Which brings me to LMG/LTT.

I'm not a customer for merch, because I'm not fan enough to buy stuff, backpacks or screwdrivers included but especially not clothes, just because it's LMG merch, when there are every bit good enough alternatives available locally (Europe) and, because of freight, far cheaper. I consume LMG output, to a degree, but not really for technical reviews. Not yet, anyway.

So as far as I'm concerned, while I certainly don't endorse or condone the issues that got LMG got into this mess, I'm hoping that what comes out the far side, certainly in terms of Labs output, will be far better because of it. I'm hoping the review "changes" are real, and not just for PR damage control. There were, obviously, issues with the pace of production and accuracy/consistency and, no doubt, in large part resulting from the speed of growth of the company, from moving from single-team to multiple-team ethodology (see Ian Cutress for an insight into that) and if the result of all this furore, and from the presence of the new CEO, is to address the short-comings which the CEO's appointment clearly prove were already known as an problem before GN blew things up, then hopefully the resulting effect will be positive for LMG in the future. Only time will tell.

Of those options, probably "couldn't care less" comes closest, but only in the sense that I'm just one more pair of eyes on the far side of a screen, so I care about as much for Linus as he cares what I think of him. If I think either posittively or negatively of Linus, it is to infer a relationship that simply doesn't exist. Never met the bloke, never spoken to him, never even 'spoken' via email. No doubt, never will. But I "care less" in the sense of not being invested, either way, so it's hard to see how feeling either better or worse about him or LMG going forward works. But 2care less" can be seen as having negative connotations, which is why I avoided that.

in short, my position is a bit too nuasnced to sum up in any dozen or so selection box criteria. Hence this essay.

I hope the product I consume (video and future Labs output) are better in future as a result of this upheaval, but it's far too soon to tell. Ask me again in a year or two.

I agree with most of what you said at some level, however I think if you've been running a company for well over a decade you lose the right to hide behind the "I've got so much on my plate!!" When you're that big, if you're deciding tons of little things then you've structured your company incorrectly, or you're penny pinching and need to invest in the staffing levels required to run said company efficiently. LTT stacks on staff like it's making a pancake challenge. The decision not to retest is inexcusable, it's his responsibility to maintain the integrity of his company and he failed to do that. Period.

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Genuinely couldn't care less. I watch LTT to be entertained while getting somewhat informed on new stuff. They are not my only source of information and I wouldn't make/avoid a purchase solely based on their video.

My opinion of LTT and Linus neither went up or lower, it stayed the same.

My opinion of the community, on the other hand, went down quite a bit. People were WAY too quick to fetch their pitchforks.

Especially all the newcomers who suddenly decided they wanted to be part of the forum community a few weeks ago, only to disregard the CS, spam and bash Linus along with LMG. 

Yeah the fanbois and haters always come out hardest during times like these. I swear most of them just love the drama.

The death threats and messaging of LTT staff is unacceptable though...I imagine that's mostly done by teens or youngin's that really don't know better.

Bad excuse? Yup, but when you make videos like LTT the kiddos and meme lords are bound to be attracted.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't care, I rarely watch linus, mostly if a video of his interests me.

28 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Do you have that post saved?

I do not, don't really care about it enough to save it lol

30 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Interesting, though I imagine sometimes he's a little frazzled and he might have posted that at a low time.

That's what I thought as well, but still not an excuse to treat someone the way he did

Thus why I mentioned he needs to calm down in the reply that I did in the thread

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

37 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If it happened frequently, then I'd see it as more of an issue.

@Moonzyisn't the only person that has a history with Linus like this. There's a few regulars that get called out in a similar manner when they disagree with Linus. 

As for me personally, I still feel the same about Linus and very closely the same with LMG/Labs. LMG has been an entertainment channel first for a long time and hasn't been on my list of "people I watch for benchmarks" in a long time as well. I'll watch for their commentary. 

As far as labs goes I've been saying since the announcement that I won't blindly trust their numbers until they prove they can be trusted. I did go into that with an open mind like I would any other "new channel", but even before they got called out for discrepancies they were fairly noticeable. In my eyes they have a lot of proving to do that they can be taken seriously and semi scientific while also having an entertainment channel. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

40 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The fact it was overpriced in his eyes wasn't the entire issue though, it was actually a very small part. The bigger issue by far was that they tested it on something it wasn't designed for in the first place, and based decisions on that. Which is incredibly irresponsible for someone in their position.

Even with the correct GPU (this mistake was an error, everyone agrees on that, including Linus, at last) it was and will be an overpriced cooler.

12 hours ago, Moonzy said:

To me it's personal

That Linus has a LOT of growing up to do.  I hope he has.

To me it's a case of popularity outgrowing competency. It happens, I don't think it's malicious however malicious or not the results are still the same. I don't feel more negatively about Linus/LTT because I've never had sky high expectations of them. For me they've always been that fun youtube channel that occasionally will have some of the greatest tech banger videos on YouTube. I've never expected a data-driven, accuracy focused channel so I was never disappointed when I didn't get one.

In terms of the Madison situation, again it's popularity outgrowing competency. Does that mean there are not any malicious people working there? No, I do believe there are a few bad apples at the very least that need to be removed, I just don't think it was this great conspiracy cover-up scheme, it was more of an underestimation of the severity of the situation combined with not enough/wrong information being fed to management. So if that gets taken care of my sentiment would be exactly where it was a month ago - positive/neutral.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 4080 Super Gaming OC
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

I said yes but only negatively of LTT (/LMG).  An organization can be made of basically good people but the sum of their actions, the product of the organization can be bad.  Every with every individual part and person trying their best and doing good work, the result might not be good in the end. It's no one persons fault.  Even if the leaders are in some way responsible, such is the downside of being a leader. 

My real feeling would be that what I think of people or organizations depends on how they act over time.  There have been some issues in their organizations product, and in the community gathered around it.  However, change is always possible.  I hope they find a way to change for the better. 

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

I agree with most of what you said at some level, however I think if you've been running a company for well over a decade you lose the right to hide behind the "I've got so much on my plate!!" When you're that big, if you're deciding tons of little things then you've structured your company incorrectly, or you're penny pinching and need to invest in the staffing levels required to run said company efficiently. LTT stacks on staff like it's making a pancake challenge. The decision not to retest is inexcusable, it's his responsibility to maintain the integrity of his company and he failed to do that. Period.

I get where you're coming from with that and don't entirely disagree. However, most companies tend to grow very much in the model of how they started, which tends to be 'the same, but more  of it'. The trouble is, that only works up to a point. It's not a nice, neat linear function, either in relation to company size, or elapsed time. There's a damn great discontinuity where the old model ceases to work. From what I can make of it, LMG's growth has accelerated exponentially over the last couple of years, and the rise from 40 to 120-ish staff has been far faster than from zero to 40. At 40, you can generally get away with running it as a larger 'owner-operated' type of operation but you hit that wall, that discontinuity, in that latter phase. There have been several signposts to that, including staff numbers, the sheer scale of investment in the backpack and screwdriver projects, and of course, buildings. The company might be 10 years old but the problems that come at that discontinuity where you realise there needs to be a mode shift and not just doing the same but more of it or faster at it, are much more recent than 10 years. More like three, I'd guess. But then, I'm just an outsider reading into what appears to be happening so it can only be an outside best-guess opinion. I'd also say Linus appears to have reached the same conclusion, and the new CEO is probably part of addressing that realisation.

Even Napolean hit the dawning realisation that beyond a certain scale, one person just can't run a war. That's why he came up with the principle of a general staff.

That changeover though, is often neither gradual nor smooth. There comes a point where the owner(s) of a company either have to accept that they've grown as far as they can and have plateau'd, or they have to bite the proverbial bullet, double down, put it all on the line once again and take a make or break gamble. There tends to be a point of commitment. and you take it (or don't) not knowig if it's going to work.

In fact, there are several such points, the first being when you go from one, two maybe three friends/partners in a startup, with everybody doing pretty much everything, to employing people full-time, in an administrative role, not only in a directly revenue-earning one. Eventually, scale makes that inevitable, but it's the first discontinuity. The later decisions, like moving offices, or buying extra ones, are similar but the money gets scarier each time. And I think the backpack/screwdriver moment was another make or break moment, as was Labs. And yet here, all three were done more or less simultaneously. Maybe they had to be, because each reinforces the other. In any event, it's a big discontinuity where the owner-managed model tends to cease to work, and the character type that is really good at starting and succeeding in a startup setting isn't necessarily the character type needed for managing a medium-size company grown beyond owner-manager.

That's why I don't think the "running a company for well over a decade" bit of your argument works - the nature of the problem evolved, over the period of backpack and screwdriver investment, building purchase and exponential staff growth. I'm not sure how many, if any, here had experience of running that newer model of company. There certainly seem, looking from the outside in, to have been significant growing pains over the last two or three years, and learning the lessons of how things have changed.

Frankly, though the last couple of weeks have no doubt been excruciating for everyone, especially the owners, the type of steps they appear to be taking, judging by the policy/procedure announcements, strongly suggest to me that LMG are very much aware of the areas where change was needed, and are taking exactly the type of steps that were needed. I've seen more than a few companies fail at that point. They akmost all no longer exist .... or were bought out and completely revamped, top-down. It doesn't, I hope, look like that's happening here. The really encouraging thing is that some of this was already underway before the events of the last couple of weeks blew up. It's maybe a shame it had to blow up at all, but it might also be a blessing in disguise, because that week(-ish) break appears to have given a chance to pause long enough for clear thinking and decisive action. Action of the type that's very hard to achieve if you're running full pelt just trying to keep up with the treadmill.

My stance is unless there is proof that Linus (as creator/owner/mouthpiece of the company) intentionally did something malicious or there was some sort of collective malicious goings on and Linus/LMG management swept it under the rug (obviously referencing the Madison allegations) this didn’t really change much for me. 

Between the obvious data errors and lukewarm takes that their review scripts have taken over the last couple years and the move to a more “infotainment” and clickbait style of content, I treat LMG as an entertainment channel. They still put out unique and interesting content regarding tech, I just don’t go to them for the authoritative word on much. 

LMG is doing what they have to do as a company to thrive on YouTube and that’s ok. I also agree that yeah, it’s time a change was made if there is going to be an earnest effort to make LTT Labs a legitimate source of information as they’ve continuously claimed they want to be (and I saw it’s creation and current standing as the first step in correcting their data and processes). 

Change takes time and I think the team saw that before the GN video hit, but I think they thought they could continue to simply keep the pace and hope everything would just sorta “work out” in their favor. There was clearly more wrong than just the actual collection of data and it’s good that this will hopefully create better content as well as happier employees in the shorter term. 

i9-13900k | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | G. Skill 32GB DDR5 7200

MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | Alienware aw3423dwf

Lian Li o11 Dynamic XL ROG | ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO | ROG Thor 1000w Platinum II
Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB OS Drive | Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB x2 RAID 0 Game Drive

What has changed is my perception of GN. Until recently I enjoyed his perfect reviews, but ever since he threw a big rock at Linus, I started disliking the path he has chosen. He did the same with Asus and Nvidia, and its way over-board in my book.

I honestly hope that Linus doesn't change the style of content. I love seeing them installing unusual stuff in his house, etc.

On 8/27/2023 at 12:04 AM, dizmo said:

So with all the drama lately, I just have one question: Has all of this changed your view on LTT at all?

I'll even break it down further to Linus vs LTT as a whole, since they're really two separate things.

Personally, I was initially extremely annoyed with what happened. Both with Linus's reaction, and the fact it happened at all (LTT failing).

My opinion is that that nothing has really changed, and short of hearing about a lawsuit, it probably won't.

You have to remember that since 2016, any claim of sexual assault = forever canceled. Even if it's false. But merely being accused of harassment, sexual or not, will only get someone canceled if there is a power dynamic or money in play. Most of the time, it's about money, and not something genuinely worth dragging out into the court of public opinion because that tends to hurt everyone involved. The person making the complaint, the people being complained about, and the companies represented by either party end up having to do damage control, and that tends to work out poorly for the people who do not have money to do so.

The selling of someones property without their consent, basically is theft, and again, unless there is a lawsuit, probably won't change my mind. As far as I'm concerned, it has been addressed, even if that was pressure by an outside party to do better.

My only real beef with the entire thing was Linus's initial reaction that felt like he was trying to not get canceled by doing everything that people who get canceled do. 

When accused of wrongdoing, the right answer is always to verify the claim before speaking about it, because two wrongs don't make a right.

15 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

What has changed is my perception of GN. Until recently I enjoyed his perfect reviews, but ever since he threw a big rock at Linus, I started disliking the path he has chosen. He did the same with Asus and Nvidia, and its way over-board in my book.

I honestly hope that Linus doesn't change the style of content. I love seeing them installing unusual stuff in his house, etc.

For GN, I'm a bit mixed. I do appreciate them reporting things to the community. But when I heard that they didn't even try to reach out to LMG for an official comment, that felt off. Even school newspapers reach out to parties and sides for a comment. Even if it's an hour or two before posting. It wouldn't have shown special treatment.

In the first video, the comment of "We've been talking about making this video for a few months" really hit me. I understand that there were issues, but if there were concerns, as a professional you contact the company to express them first. This allows them to correct course. White hats do this for companies all of the time. If they don't respond reasonably, they go public. They fact that they were working on a video even before that Labs tour video came out just feels off.

I can be frustrated with LTT and LMG, but GN handled it like it was a "Gatcha!!" instead of them actually looking out for the community. It's indicative of the tone Steve had while shooting it. 😔

My opinion of him has slowly been changing over the course of the last year. And almost entirely because of the WAN show. If the WAN show never existed then I might still have an opinion of him being a decent human being but the 'real' Linus has been rearing his ugly personality during the shows. He's shown himself to be a fairly arrogant "I'm always right" persona even when faced with huge backlashes and he never backs down. To some that might be a positive thing, but he cannot admit to when he is evidently wrong, the best he does is mental summersaults to justify why he had his opinion in the first place.

So when this blew up I immediately knew how it was going to go down when I considered how he was in the WAN show

spacer.png

My view of LTT hasn’t changed. I’m mainly indifferent to the company, but I’m always aware it’s a large corporation and large corporations are never your friend, no matter how much they try to convince you otherwise.

As for Linus, this whole saga changed it negatively for me. Not just of his immature handling of the situation and straight up arrogance at times, but also seeing an (at best creepy & and at worst, straight up racist) tweet that he made in 2020.

While he sort of apologised for the billet labs situation, he immediately followed it by going on the defensive and whining over what a few people wrote about LTT on Reddit. This clearly shows he hasn’t matured much either. Oh and the ‘apology’ video Linus put out was nothing short of a piss take with jokey references to sponsors and a f*cking merch plug. Tech YES City’s view on his experiences with Linus in the past was an eye opener as well.

I don’t hate Linus or LTT. I think he is an excellent presenter with a lot of experience and knowledge about technology both current and old gen. That being said, I certainly don’t like him much as a person and would actively avoid him in the scenario I come across him at an event/expo.

Main Rig: Ryzen 7 1700, 12 GB, RX 580 8 GB  Second Rig: FX-8150, 16 GB, R9 290 4 GB 

Third Rig: FX-6100, 16 GB, GTX 780 Ti 3 GB  Twin HP Compaq Elite 8200 Towers: i7 2600 (x2), 16 GB (x2), HD 5450 1 GB (x2)

Not really.  The Madison situation completely aside, nothing has really been presented that I didn't already know or assume.  With the minor exception of how often graphs and data are wrong.  I however do not really watch LTT for the nitty gritty numbers. I come for the overview of new tech, the tech upgrades, the live builds the solving of x problem with y solution that should have been second to last on the list of possible solutions, that kind of fun stuff.

Much of the discussion of what labs should be also doesn't really interest me too much.   I don't care to know what a cell phone radio is capable of with 0 outside interference, I want to know how it performs with those things as I'm going to use it in the real world.  A test in a box is fine, it's just not going to be a defining factor in my buying decision.  

The billet labs situation was unfortunate but with proper information, that a real journalist would have uncovered and properly reported on, what happened it's not all that outrageous.  When Linus got word of what happened he immediately went into make it right mode which is all we can really ask for.  Mistakes will happen, so long as they are not rooted in malice, unless you're directly affected you should probably determine your own reaction based on what happened and what is being done to make it right.

I already saw a great decline of LTT the channel. Like years ago, especially after the leave of some OG LTT members (the editor and shooter). But never thought Linus himself can be as childish as that PR statement is. I do watch WAN show and thought he is still pretty clear about what LTT the channel is at.

What has really become clear to me in the last few days: I seem to watch more LTT than I thought. Because I miss new videos, it's really time that they get going again...

Haven't been swayed either way.

Lately, the tech community as a whole has been leaving a sour taste though. Not even really from engaging but observing.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

21 hours ago, Kisai said:

The selling of someones property without their consent, basically is theft, ...

I'm not Canadian and can't speak for the definition of theft in Canada, though I'd guess it's very similar to here but where I am, that's not the case. There's a set of individual elements to whether an action is theft or not, and they all need to be met for it to be theft. So it's more complicated than that. For a start, here, it requires a dishonest intent. If you genuinely believed you had the right to sell, or if the whole business was the result of mistake, miscommunication, misunderstanding or accident, then no, it isn't theft. That's not to say there wouldn't be consequences for selling something not belonging to you, or that doing so is somehow right - there might well be consequnces and it isn't right. But here at least, theft is more than that. The person selling property that actually wasn't theirs to sell would probably be liable to replace that item or compensate for it, which I understand was immediately offered by LMG but theft is a criminal act and it requires that intent to act dishonesty. A mistake is a mistake, not dishonest intent.

Yes, that is legalistic view, but if LMG are going to be accused of things, it's important to not overstate them, just as it is important not to ignore or sweep stuff under the corporate rug.

I am going to single out Linus Media Groups Server videos. Reliability is the most important thing with a server. They have access to many server/data storage experts and could easily have the most reliable/professional setup on youtube.

Yet they make video after video of them completely janking their server setup. They have had a number of server related problems. Many of which should never have happened. 

I guess I just don't as a viewer appreciate watching something so important be treated so amateurishly. To the point where it is almost like they are really proud of how janked up their server stuff is. 

But this is why I don't really watch LMG channels anymore. It is not the place to go for reliable, powerful, professional computing (whether gaming or workstation) videos. LMG is where you want go if you want to watch the dumbest thing someone can think up. 

Jayztwocents does some silly stuff and I happily watch him but he is honest and will say "Hey we are just going to do something dumb for a humorous video. Which is fine. 

On 8/27/2023 at 3:56 AM, Moonzy said:

To me it's personal

God what a douche...

Opinion of Linus and LTT went up noticably. The second video really gave me some critical context and billet and GN kind of ....drifted over that showed me that the main mistake everyone was upset over was much more complex than it was presented with.

I also appreciate their willingness to change with the community; I do find it a little funny that the standards being demanded of LTT isn't demanded of 99 percent of  tech outlets, but I also respect the fact that they didn't hit back or go dig through every single GN video for a mistake he's made (Ian Cutress already did a video kind of covering this in a way)

23 hours ago, DadT3ch said:

Not really.  The Madison situation completely aside, nothing has really been presented that I didn't already know or assume.  With the minor exception of how often graphs and data are wrong.  I however do not really watch LTT for the nitty gritty numbers. I come for the overview of new tech, the tech upgrades, the live builds the solving of x problem with y solution that should have been second to last on the list of possible solutions, that kind of fun stuff.

Much of the discussion of what labs should be also doesn't really interest me too much.   I don't care to know what a cell phone radio is capable of with 0 outside interference, I want to know how it performs with those things as I'm going to use it in the real world.  A test in a box is fine, it's just not going to be a defining factor in my buying decision.  

The billet labs situation was unfortunate but with proper information, that a real journalist would have uncovered and properly reported on, what happened it's not all that outrageous.  When Linus got word of what happened he immediately went into make it right mode which is all we can really ask for.  Mistakes will happen, so long as they are not rooted in malice, unless you're directly affected you should probably determine your own reaction based on what happened and what is being done to make it right.

Yeah, also this was not theft. You can't give someone something, then get mad and "taksies backsies" it and all of a sudden it's theft. If you gave something to someone, it's their property now. LTT was nice enough to agree to send it back, but some silly mistakes happened and it ended up being auctioned. LTT finds the buyer who agrees to send it back, and now they don't want it they just want the cash.

I really feel they were being deceptive when trying to call LTT out as they made it sound very much different than we saw in emails.

as to the poll...

Opinion of Linus and LTT went up noticably. The second video really gave me some critical context and billet and GN kind of ....drifted over that showed me that the main mistake everyone was upset over was much more complex than it was presented with.

I also appreciate their willingness to change with the community; I do find it a little funny that the standards being demanded of LTT isn't demanded of 99 percent of  tech outlets, but I also respect the fact that they didn't hit back or go dig through every single GN video for a mistake he's made (Ian Cutress already did a video kind of covering this in a way)