How do I troubleshoot my wifi card?

Bigsmiles

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I have a Razer laptop 15 from 2019 and my Wifi/Bluetooth card has stopped working out of the blue a couple days ago.

I have done a lot of googling and tried a bunch of different things, from manually installing the latest drivers to uninstalling the device and reinstalling it, but without success

From what I read this problem could be a windows driver issue and could potentially be solved eventually with a windows update.

But is there any way to tell whether it is not a faulty card? Windows does recognize the card in the device manager no problem, it just fails to connect to turn on wifi (and the bluetooth menu does not even show up)

any advice would be appreciated.

11 minutes ago, Bigsmiles said:

From what I read this problem could be a windows driver issue and could potentially be solved eventually with a windows update.

When troubleshooting it's best to start with simple solutions and work your way up, so start with this. Connect the laptop to the internet in another manner, such as with a USB wi-fi dongle or even better a wired connection, and run Windows update. Be sure to check the "optional updates" section for extra drivers.

I'd look for data about the specific adapter, if it's well supported under linux, then i'd try to find a live distro that supports this network card out of the box.

I'd create a flashdrive and i'd try to understand than in linux it works correctly or not.

If it works... than is another game to make windows understand "make this card work".

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

1 hour ago, Bigsmiles said:

I have a Razer laptop 15 from 2019 and my Wifi/Bluetooth card has stopped working

What is the make and model of the wireless adapter? Would it happen to be a Killer-rebranded Intel card?

In the device manager it apears as Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz

Update: I ended up contacting microsoft support and they were very helpful (to my surprise?)

they conected remotely and ran a couple console commands

net localgroup Administrators localservice /add
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh winhttp reset proxy
netsh winsock reset
Ipconfig /flushdns
Ipconfig /release
Ipconfig /renew
Netsh winsock reset
Netsh int ip reset
Netsh advfirewall reset
Ipconfig /flushdns
Netsh winhttp reset proxy

and performed a network reset, but after all of that failed they asked me to perform a "Power flush", by disconecting the power cable from the laptop and pressing the power button for 30 seconds and that fixed the problem

(I'm honestly kindof offended that the solution was a fancy way of turning it off and on again)

3 hours ago, Bigsmiles said:

Update: I ended up contacting microsoft support and they were very helpful (to my surprise?)

Glad you got the problem fixed.

I'm impressed!

7 hours ago, Bigsmiles said:

they conected remotely and ran a couple console commands

net localgroup Administrators localservice /add
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh winhttp reset proxy
netsh winsock reset
Ipconfig /flushdns
Ipconfig /release
Ipconfig /renew
Netsh winsock reset
Netsh int ip reset
Netsh advfirewall reset
Ipconfig /flushdns
Netsh winhttp reset proxy

and performed a network reset, but after all of that failed they asked me to perform a "Power flush", by disconecting the power cable from the laptop and pressing the power button for 30 seconds and that fixed the problem

(I'm honestly kindof offended that the solution was a fancy way of turning it off and on again)

Think yourself lucky, I had a Lenovo where I had to leave the screws out as I had to physically disconnect the battery as it would periodically lock up in a way that would not recover otherwise.  Fairly sure I tried the 30 second power button thing on that but it didn't support it.

Another reason why laptops not having an easily removable battery sucks.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7