Elon Musk is removing blocking people from ๐•

On 8/18/2023 at 3:53 PM, Middcore said:

I welcome this, it would accelerate the exodus of any well-adjusted person from the platform until only the shitlords remain.ย 

There are well adjusted people on twitter? Because as far as I can tell the platform is full of crazy people and even you aren't so long as you use the platform for any extended period of time you will lose your sanity.ย 

14 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

A lot of stuff Musk wants are pretty stupid, this one included. If he really wanted it to be a public square, he'd hand it over to the government to be properly managed, policed and subject to the same guardrails public institutions have to follow, not just pay lip-service to free speech and ignore everything else that comes with being a public service.

This could possibly be the dumbest post I've read all week.ย  The same govt that was colluding with old twitter in order to censor people whose opinions they didn't care for.ย ย 

1 hour ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

wtf are you on about?

it's twitter, there are no well-adjusted people on that site! (they left after twitter became what it is today)

You sound like the same people who want an echo chamber and told us 'Threads' would take over for Twitter and we all saw how that worked out.ย 

15 hours ago, SolarNova said:

I've never used old twitter/or current 'X', so im not sure if this is 100% correct but..

ย 

If one cant block someone anymore that would mean u can no longer stop them from seeing your content right ...so thats a good thing. I've seen far to many example of certain types of individuals blocking others in an attempt to stop journalistic investigation.

The whole " i dont like what this outlet/person is saying about what i've said or done so im going to make it difficult for them to see said actions"

ย 

The ability to mute a person, so you cant see their 'oh so hurtful' comments is understandable, which is staying right.

If u can not see what they're saying ..thats no different than blocking them ...so all u really want with the ability to block them, is to hide your interactions from them ...which begs the question ...what and why are u hiding it from them ?

ย 

I cant see how this is a big deal if im understanding the way the features of 'X' work. Blocking and muting results in the same thing from the 'blockers' perspective. it only changes the other persons (those who would have been blocked) abilities. E.G going from not being able to see posts ..to being able to see them and interact with other people, who in turn can 'mute' said person if they dont want to see their comments.

ย 

Frankly this seems similar to the whole..

" I not only dont want to hear you talk ..i dont want u able to talk aswell"

One is acceptable, fingers in ears ..walk away ..turn of the TV/radio whatever..,

The other is not, ur removing a persons right to speak, to have an opinion etc due to ur personal opinion, perhaps only ur opinion ..or only a small group of peoples opinion.

ย 

In this instance a person like this is saying "im going to say/do something in this digital public square (not in DMs) ..oh but you there i dont lke you, i dont want to hear ur opinionย  ..infact i dont want you to have the ability to have one either..u cant be here ..in this public digital square".

ย 

So yea, assuming i understand how this all works ...I dont see this as a problem with this change.

What are you even on about? Do you think blocking people means you're hiding from their journalistic investigation? You think I should unblock people who spout hateful and downright awful things because they might in the future wanna "investigate" me? Do you even hear yourself?

ย 

Twitter is not the public square, it is a store in the public square. The internet is the public square.ย 

Meh.. it will either work or not.

ย 

What is good about Twitter under Musk is the rapid changes.. Some work, some do not. Compared to other social media sites that seem to be somewhat stagnant.ย 

ย 

I do not see it as a huge issue anyway. you can mute people and you can decide who you receive direct DM's from.. if it all.ย 

39 minutes ago, Bruceleet said:

Meh.. it will either work or not.

ย 

What is good about Twitter under Musk is the rapid changes.. Some work, some do not. Compared to other social media sites that seem to be somewhat stagnant.ย 

ย 

I do not see it as a huge issue anyway. you can mute people and you can decide who you receive direct DM's from.. if it all.ย 

I definitely agree. I donโ€™t agree with a lot of the changes and I think Musk is a moron, but I do like that he is willing to take risks with the platform.ย 
ย 

What I told people when he first took over is that he will either improve the platform, or he will completely destroy it. Itโ€™s win-win either way and both are entertaining to watch.ย 

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

There are well adjusted people on twitter? Because as far as I can tell the platform is full of crazy people and even you aren't so long as you use the platform for any extended period of time you will lose your sanity.

As far as I can tell twitter has two niche:

1. Direct access of Bathroom tought from influential people
  2. Botnet selling all manner of frauds to marks, mostly blockchain frauds

Two niche that mix. It's a good platrorm for an estabilished influencer to cash out on their audience by selling them a fraud, and is also good for crypto poundits to sell their businness to marks and have bot nets amplify their reach.

On the plus (?) side, it's perhaps the only platform where an influential people has a chance of seeing your everyday joe's tweet.

Personally, I have never blocked anyone on Twitter. Half of the fun of Twitter is seeing what people you don't agree with have to say. And when did we become so sensitive we couldn't handle mean tweets lol. 10 years ago we could say whatever we wanted online, on almost any website.ย 

ย 

I recently got blocked for the first time by an online personality who had previously been involved in a couple of scams. I just happened to see him comment on a post, and checked his profile out. Sure enough he had some health program he was selling. So I immediately started warning one of his recent victims that was thanking him for his new crap. Got blocked in less than 10 minutes. So in case you can't see any value in doing this. There is some.ย 

13 hours ago, Why_Me said:

This could possibly be the dumbest post I've read all week.ย  The same govt that was colluding with old twitter in order to censor people whose opinions they didn't care for.ย ย 

I'm sure it looks dumb if you ignore the actual point I'm making. Turning it over to the government would put it under first amendment protection by default, so if your problem is government censorship in private media, good news: nationalization solves that problem immediately.ย 

And now a word from our sponsor:ย ๐Ÿ’ฉ

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

แ‘แ‘Œแ‘แ‘ข

Spoiler

ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€

ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–€ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ

โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–€ย  โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย  โ–€โ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  โ–€โ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€

ย  ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆย โ–„โ–„ย  ย  ย ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–„ย ย โ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–„โ–€

ย  ย  ย  ย โ–€ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  โ–„โ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–„โ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  โ–„โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„

ย 

2 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

I'm sure it looks dumb if you ignore the actual point I'm making. Turning it over to the government would put it under first amendment protection by default, so if your problem is government censorship in private media, good news: nationalization solves that problem immediately.ย 

And why would anyone trust the govt after they worked so diligently to censor speech on social media?

On 8/18/2023 at 1:37 PM, Drazil100 said:

ย 

My thoughts

Part of me wonders if ANY good can come of this. On the one hand we are going to see a LOT more spam and harassment. I don't believe muting someone prevents other people from seeing their reactions to your content and there are going to be a LOT of people who were previously blocked from harassment who will suddenly be able to leave garbage quality posts. On the other hand though, maybe this prevents people from blocking out legitimate criticism to hide the fact that they are scummy?

ย 

Maybe because people use block chains, so people just block one user, and everyone followed by that user to keep troll farms from stinking up their timeline.ย 

ย 

Or maybe because the advertisers are being blocked, because... ads on Twitter are pretty awful and scammy looking, and prior to Elon's take over, (and I've shown screen shots of my block lists before) the vast majority of ads are bots posting to twitter without disclosure of it being an ad. Also Elon has moved the "ad" text to a less obvious area, so now people are more likely to block ads because "Why is this crap in my timeline", I mean really, the amount of crypto-sh*t and bad-faith AI stuff on the timeline has only snowballed.

ย 

On 8/18/2023 at 1:37 PM, Drazil100 said:

Either way I don't like it. It's not broken so why is he messing with it?

ย 

Probably because the entirety of left-wing Twitter blocked him and his crypto-shill fanboys.

ย 

Now that said, I am somewhat in agreement that the "Block" feature is used incorrectly. If I were to redesign it, I would make it so that the block and mute mechanic works like so:

ย 

"temporarily block this user"/"temporarily mute this user/keyword" for 1/7/14/28 days. It's always temporary.

If multiple people block the user within the same timeframe, shadowban the blocked user for the entire site until all temporary blocks end. This cuts down on spam and bot activity, and prevents their "bad take" tweets from snowballing.

ย 

If a user is consistently blocked/muted (eg people they interact with constantly block them) then "permanently block/permanently mute" becomes available.

ย 

This avoids the situation where someone jumps into a thread with good intentions, but the person who started the thread gets tired of being dog-piled by replies, retweets and quote retweets (QRT's are pretty much used for hot take harassment.)ย 

ย 

That said, a better option in the first place would be to expire blocks of users that have not actually interacted/seen. Because these are generally done as proactive, and arbitrarily to keep a timeline clean, but usually just takes a chainsaw approach to what should have been a scalpel.

ย 

Awesome news. No website should have a feature that allows you to block other people from seeing what you post. It's censorship, and its annoying.ย 

If you dont want to hear from someone, just mute them. You wont get dms or see their messages. Blocking them is dystopian.ย 

7 hours ago, Owsleygarcia95 said:

Personally, I have never blocked anyone on Twitter. Half of the fun of Twitter is seeing what people you don't agree with have to say. And when did we become so sensitive we couldn't handle mean tweets lol. 10 years ago we could say whatever we wanted online, on almost any website.ย 

ย 

I recently got blocked for the first time by an online personality who had previously been involved in a couple of scams. I just happened to see him comment on a post, and checked his profile out. Sure enough he had some health program he was selling. So I immediately started warning one of his recent victims that was thanking him for his new crap. Got blocked in less than 10 minutes. So in case you can't see any value in doing this. There is some.ย 

You can still say whatever you want online on any website today.

23 minutes ago, Anders155 said:

You can still say whatever you want online on any website today.

Are you unaware that the US government has multiple agencies with whole new departments dedicated to fighting "hate speech" and "misinformation" online? That's just not true. I've been suspended on multiple social media sites myself. That never happened 10 years ago.ย 

1 hour ago, Owsleygarcia95 said:

Are you unaware that the US government has multiple agencies with whole new departments dedicated to fighting "hate speech" and "misinformation" online? That's just not true. I've been suspended on multiple social media sites myself. That never happened 10 years ago.ย 

I think the thing people miss about free speech is that blocking and removing speech from your property is also considered free speech. If you support political candidate A and someone who supports political candidate B puts signs all over your yard saying vote for B is it right argue that the government should take over your yard so that the person who put signs on your yard's speech is protected from you removing their signs?

The REAL solution is that you make your own social media platform that leans towards whatever biases you hold. If someone is saying something you consider misinformation then you can do whatever you want to them on your own platform. Unfortunately unlike 10 years ago the internet has become a lot more centralized with everyone only viewing and contributing to a small handful of platforms. It is still technically possible that you could start up your own social media site, but is very unlikely.ย 

I personally don't agree with handing over platforms to the government. On the one hand the government does not have our best interest at heart. They would undoubtedly use their access to mass survival everyone who uses it, and politicians would get butthurt over misinformation and try to manipulate what is allowed to be said which would get messier than private entities doing it.ย 

Does this mean I need to make custom filter to uBlock to remove Elon Musk's Tweets from showing to me since my blocking doesn't work anymore? Oh no, well any way good that I only look for *wink wink* and *cough cough* stuff from X-Twitter so I saw Don Musk's ego boosts only if I accidentally got lost to the frontpage. I will still make that filter just because I can and I believe that would piss off someone that not only I blocked their not-important messages but also that they cannot do anything about it.

29 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Does this mean I need to make custom filter to uBlock to remove Elon Musk's Tweets from showing to me since my blocking doesn't work anymore? Oh no, well any way good that I only look for *wink wink* and *cough cough* stuff from X-Twitter so I saw Don Musk's ego boosts only if I accidentally got lost to the frontpage. I will still make that filter just because I can and I believe that would piss off someone that not only I blocked their not-important messages but also that they cannot do anything about it.

You can still mute him and that should keep his tweets out of your timeline. I don't know the full extent of what muting does or does not do but I do know it works to keep you from seeing tweets. I think the big change is that if someone has criticism trolling or harassment that OTHER people will be able to see it but you wont.

My gut reaction is that's worse... but as someone mentioned earlier in this thread maybe it means more people will get banned? It remains to see what the full impact of this will be.

22 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

There are well adjusted people on twitter? Because as far as I can tell the platform is full of crazy people and even you aren't so long as you use the platform for any extended period of time you will lose your sanity.ย 

Yeah pretty much that's it these days

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 ||ย GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs:ย Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz)ย || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300ย || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Heroย || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120ย ||

ย 

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/theyย 

23 hours ago, Why_Me said:

You sound like the same people who want an echo chamber and told us 'Threads' would take over for Twitter and we all saw how that worked out.ย 

echo chambers are nothing but hell, they do nothing except reinforce horrible beliefs.

also anyone thinking threads would be the next twitter is deluding themselves.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config:ย https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

ย 

I seriously don't understand why everyone is so up and arms about this.ย 

Block will disappear, except DMs.
Mute will do the same thing block does, but you can still follow people that muted you.

ย 

Also, to those that keep saying that X is dying, the user metrics are higher than ever atm.ย 

11 hours ago, Owsleygarcia95 said:

Cool, you can still say whatever you want online. You being suspended is not because of the US Government, it is because you are violating policies set by the website.

20 minutes ago, Anders155 said:

Cool, you can still say whatever you want online. You being suspended is not because of the US Government, it is because you are violating policies set by the website.

I disagree with them but you are misunderstanding their argument. Their argument is that platforms as big as Twitter shouldn't HAVE policies. Their argument is that if the US government took over we would have more free speech on the platform because private entities wouldn't be setting arbitrary rules.

Again I disagree with their argument, I just personally hate being misunderstood so I try my best to understand people's arguments and help others to clarify their arguments whenever possible.

4 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

I disagree with them but you are misunderstanding their argument. Their argument is that platforms as big as Twitter shouldn't HAVE policies. Their argument is that if the US government took over we would have more free speech on the platform because private entities wouldn't be setting arbitrary rules.

Again I disagree with their argument, I just personally hate being misunderstood so I try my best to understand people's arguments and help others to clarify their arguments whenever possible.

I'm not misunderstanding their argument at all. Perhaps they should make it more clear then if you have to step in to clarify it for them? Because it still makes no sense. Twitter etc /needs/ policies (see Gab etc), US government can't make it "more free speech" or "less free speech", there is free speech or there is not.

ย 

Private entities have free speech as well, the people who run them have free speech. It's their free speech to block you, always has been. It's your free speech to go and do things that will get you suspended.ย 

1 minute ago, Anders155 said:

I'm not misunderstanding their argument at all. Perhaps they should make it more clear then if you have to step in to clarify it for them? Because it still makes no sense. Twitter etc /needs/ policies (see Gab etc), US government can't make it "more free speech" or "less free speech", there is free speech or there is not.

ย 

Private entities have free speech as well, the people who run them have free speech. It's their free speech to block you, always has been. It's your free speech to go and do things that will get you suspended.ย 

I agree. I think their argument is that government wouldnโ€™t be allowed to decide what is and is not misinformation unlike a private entity.ย 
ย 

My argument is thatโ€™s why you host your own social media platform and make it as free or not free as you want. The internet is as free speech as you get provided you are willing to host. Itโ€™s your fault if you spout your opinions on platforms that donโ€™t want them.ย