Frustrations with the marketing of LTT merchandise

PrawnyUK

Subscribe to YouTube premium specifically to avoid advertisements and marketing. Had unsubscribed from the LTT channels long ago because of the aggressive, unnecessary and distasteful marketing strategy. Have never understood why LTT think it's acceptable to constantly peddle their products (merch) at every available opportunity in some pseudo-comedic diatribe, it wasn’t funny the first time!

Understand that advertising/marketing is sometimes a necessary evil, especially as an aid to organisational and channel growth. Perhaps during the recently announced period of self-introspection LTT can re-evaluate the marketing strategy and make it more palatable for the audience.

Are there other members of the community who feel the same way?

Note to Mods: Have tried to avoid overt reference to the current situation. Thought now is a good time to post my frustrations with the channels marketing of merch in an objective manner. Hope this is acceptable.

I've never had a problem with them taking 4 seconds to plug an LTT store product, and sometimes it's genuinely funny. I wonder how you are/were with commercials on TV, can't imagine your distaste for a full 2 to 3 minutes of ads when you can't even handle a single sentence that's less than 5 seconds with a picture of product in the corner of the video. 

It's a lot better than some other channels ads and merch plugs. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

One of the primary reasons I stopped watching their videos on a weekly basis was when they really ramped up with the lttstore.com schtick, may as well watch QVC.
Well that combined with the general decline in the quality of their reviews.
They think they are being funny and goading people into getting their merch, it's just annoying AF. At some point they are going to need to decide if they are going to become what they say they want to be, they can develop the trust in their data, they can show they have integrity and still keep their light hearted nature.....or they can continue being goofy juveniles in their 30's and 40's with nothing going for their channel beyond comedy schtick and merch sales...

12 minutes ago, PrawnyUK said:

Subscribe to YouTube premium specifically to avoid advertisements and marketing. Had unsubscribed from the LTT channels long ago because of the aggressive, unnecessary and distasteful marketing strategy. Have never understood why LTT think it's acceptable to constantly peddle their products (merch) at every available opportunity in some pseudo-comedic diatribe, it wasn’t funny the first time!

Understand that advertising/marketing is sometimes a necessary evil, especially as an aid to organisational and channel growth. Perhaps during the recently announced period of self-introspection LTT can re-evaluate the marketing strategy and make it more palatable for the audience.

Note to Mods: Have tried to avoid overt reference to the current situation. Thought now is a good time to post my frustrations with the channels marketing of merch in an objective manner. Hope this is acceptable.

I love the way they market and I think most people would agree that it is definitely palatable. It's an unfortunately necessary part of their business and I'd rather it be marketed like this than any other modern-day, conventional method

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

10 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

They turned the product plugs into a running gag. That really doesn't bother me; they're a lot quicker than other baked-in ads. (Three-minute baked-in ads for subscription meal kit services, anyone?)

Did you know that a VPN could help protect your internet privacy and allow you to view content from other regions? Well,

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I've never had a problem with them taking 4 seconds to plug an LTT store product, and sometimes it's genuinely funny. I wonder how you are/were with commercials on TV, can't imagine your distaste for a full 2 to 3 minutes of ads when you can't even handle a single sentence that's less than 5 seconds with a picture of product in the corner of the video. 

It's a lot better than some other channels ads and merch plugs. 

Don't watch TV only stream paid content free of advertisements. As previously stated subscribe to YouTube premium specifically to avoid marketing and adverts.

Just now, Mertrodome said:

Did you know that a VPN could help protect your internet privacy and allow you to view content from other regions? Well,

Sorry your point is what?

2 minutes ago, PrawnyUK said:

Sorry your point is what?

I was just having fun with Needfuldoer about ubiquitous YouTube advertiser talking points. I guess I don't really have a point beyond just "lol, we sure do hear the same things a lot huh".

1 minute ago, PrawnyUK said:

Don't watch TV only stream paid content free of advertisements. As previously stated subscribe to YouTube premium specifically to avoid marketing and adverts.

You don't even remember TV ads at all? I must be older than I think if people don't even remember having to deal with ads on TV, I'm not saying you do now as most don't have cable TV anymore, I'm saying if you ever have?

No need to argue about it, my whole point is it could be a lot worse. And 99% of the consumer sphere prefers LTT's 4 second plug over many others. I just honestly don't see the point in complaining.  I'd rather have their 4 second plug during the video than 2 to 3 minutes of ads. Or the 1 to 2 minute ads some other channels do for merch. 

Also, just use an adblock, YouTube premium is a waste of money especially if you're only using it to not get ads... Adblock is free.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Also, just use an adblock, YouTube premium is a waste of money especially if you're only using it to not get ads... Adblock is free.

I use Premium primarily for the ability to play YouTube content with the screen off - whether from my phone while out, or from my iPad while in bed drifting off to sleep.

Used to be that Firefox let you still turn the screen off and have stuff still play, but that stopped at some point.

I'm sure there's an easy way around it still, but honestly laziness just got the better of me 😛

18 minutes ago, ImpliedSilence said:

One of the primary reasons I stopped watching their videos on a weekly basis was when they really ramped up with the lttstore.com schtick, may as well watch QVC.
Well that combined with the general decline in the quality of their reviews.
They think they are being funny and goading people into getting their merch, it's just annoying AF. At some point they are going to need to decide if they are going to become what they say they want to be, they can develop the trust in their data, they can show they have integrity and still keep their light hearted nature.....or they can continue being goofy juveniles in their 30's and 40's with nothing going for their channel beyond comedy schtick and merch sales...

Yep the ever increasing marketing was the reason I started to avoid the content. Just think they need to tone it down a bit.

4 minutes ago, Mertrodome said:

I use Premium primarily for the ability to play YouTube content with the screen off - whether from my phone while out, or from my iPad while in bed drifting off to sleep.

Used to be that Firefox let you still turn the screen off and have stuff still play, but that stopped at some point.

I'm sure there's an easy way around it still, but honestly laziness just got the better of me 😛

Also watch lots of YouTube using app on the TV not possible to block the ads

42 minutes ago, PrawnyUK said:

Hi Prawny and welcome to the forum 🙂

The ad spots are cut out on Floatplane if you would like to view videos without them.

Almost as cool as my temps  

1 minute ago, Benergy said:

Hi Prawny and welcome to the forum 🙂

The ad spots are cut out on Floatplane if you would like to view videos without them.

Hi and thanks!. To clarify any reference to LTT merch is removed on that platform?

For me, the plugs in normal videos are fine but the plugs in the apology video and the fake out sponsor spots were very distasteful.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

3 minutes ago, PrawnyUK said:

Hi and thanks!. To clarify any reference to LTT merch is removed on that platform?

There might be the occasional wink and 'lttstore.com' as Linus takes a swig from his bottle, but no actual ad spots.

Almost as cool as my temps  

I just skip ahead 30s whenever they start their segues 

Intel Core i7 13700k  // 32GB Corsair Vengeance 5600mhz

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming 24G // ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI

Samsung 980 Pro NVME 2TB // Seasonic Prime 1300W Gold

Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh White 

5 minutes ago, PrawnyUK said:

No, the lttstore.com are still present. 

The seque's to sponsors are still there, because of they way they do them, but the actual sponsor spots are not.

2 minutes ago, Benergy said:

There might be the occasional wink and 'lttstore.com' as Linus takes a swig from his bottle, but no actual ad spots.

Fair enough didn't know that 👍

11 minutes ago, PrawnyUK said:

No just the adverts that are already removed with a youtube sub.

1 hour ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

I love the way they market and I think most people would agree that it is definitely palatable. It's an unfortunately necessary part of their business and I'd rather it be marketed like this than any other modern-day, conventional method

No.  Most people would not agree, you nor I can't possibly know either way.

It is NOT a necessary part of their business.  Yes, it helps sell products.  No, they do not have to do it this way.  Hell, enough of them use the products or wear them in the videos you never once have to mention them.

Also, they make enough revenue off their other streams (which they've been transparent about) to cover things.  Merch sales are icing on the cake.

If Linus mentioning the screwdriver to the camera, which he is using to build the PC, is what it takes you to buy one... you are a LEMMING (generic you, not you you).  100% plain and simple.

So yes, they could do product mentions in other places and not interrupt things.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 hour ago, Gokul_P said:

If you want to avoid that get floatplane or Use sponserblocks. They also have to pay the bills.

This. You, and everyone that feels the same, should absolutely try SponsorBlock. It works like a charm. 
https://sponsor.ajay.app/

This font is amazing.