Frustrations with the marketing of LTT merchandise

PrawnyUK
On 8/18/2023 at 10:19 PM, Soid said:

I do find it amusing that people in this thread claimed they stopped watching... but then what are they doing on the forum?

I don't watch LMG things but love being here and leading the folding team 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I don't watch LMG things but love being here and leading the folding team 

I’m glad someone is on top of that, the wrinkles were getting extreme (sorry for the bad joke)

1 minute ago, Thepyrodex said:

I’m glad someone is on top of that, the wrinkles were getting extreme (sorry for the bad joke)

Don't worry about it! I'll get the iron our, lay down on the bed and your face will be smooth in no time 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Don't worry about it! I'll get the iron our, lay down on the bed and your face will be smooth in no time 

Ouch!  I meant my shirts… hahahaha

Just now, Thepyrodex said:

Ouch!  I meant my shirts… hahahaha

nope, definitely your face, want the extra steam setting?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

nope, definitely your face, want the extra steam setting?

IMG_5196.thumb.jpeg.436f4c6b3e30b8ac5c8ff2ee32784ed7.jpeg

extra steammmmmy

edit: I think we need help

2 minutes ago, Thepyrodex said:

IMG_5196.thumb.jpeg.436f4c6b3e30b8ac5c8ff2ee32784ed7.jpeg

extra steammmmmy

edit: I think we need help

Do we need help, or do we need steam?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

You're so right, I really don't appreciate LTT having 10 second sponsor spots at the beginning that are designed to be easily skippable with a double tap or the two second mention of lttstore.com. I much prefer GN talking for 5 minutes about how amazing his new mod mat or disappointment shirt are. /s

16 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

You're so right, I really don't appreciate LTT having 10 second sponsor spots at the beginning that are designed to be easily skippable with a double tap or the two second mention of lttstore.com. I much prefer GN talking for 5 minutes about how amazing his new mod mat or disappointment shirt are. /s

Their 10 second sponsor spot had in recent times gone to 20 seconds in lots of cases.

They used to have a 10 sec sponsor and a 10 sec intro but after mostly moving away from the intro sponsor spots have on a frequent basis become 20 seconds.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 8/23/2023 at 8:37 AM, GOTSpectrum said:

Their 10 second sponsor spot had in recent times gone to 20 seconds in lots of cases.

They used to have a 10 sec sponsor and a 10 sec intro but after mostly moving away from the intro sponsor spots have on a frequent basis become 20 seconds.

You only have to double-tap twice instead of once. I don't see this as that big of a deal. How are they supposed to pay for everything if they don't advertise?

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

You only have to double-tap twice instead of once. I don't see this as that big of a deal. How are they supposed to pay for everything if they don't advertise?

I didn't say I had an issue with it, simply something I had noticed. I was mostly pointing it out as a potential reason they got rid of the intro 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I didn't say I had an issue with it, simply something I had noticed. I was mostly pointing it out as a potential reason they got rid of the intro 

Sorry, my bad. 

so long as ad block and sponsor block continue to work im ok with ad's that can easily be skipped. 

my only issues are when they don't work. some video's would have preroll ad , intro add, baked in add, mid roll ,post ad affiliate code/links...everyone needs to pay the bills but when you combine the potential ads your worse than tv. yes i know there's youtube premium to stop the (youtube pre, mid, post ad's) and FP for some content creator's but to quote Rick and Morty "that's just cable tv with extra steps."  the flow of some videos seem off due to the nature of the edits and transitions what i do generally like is when the host of the video does not "talk Segway into the" ad but it is simply cut in during a natural pause and cut back in. in my eyes the host should only speak of the content and nothing more. product spots and placements should be a natural part of the video not a forced narrative addition. 

This seems like such a weirdly tiny thing to be pressed about.  The store mentions take like 1-2 seconds, they're mostly silly, and they really do help pay the bills.  There are a million much more intrusive ways they could be advertising.  Man I wish my life was going smoothly enough that this was the sort of thing I could get bothered about.  Count yourself lucky OP.

On 8/29/2023 at 4:49 AM, Lordmage said:

so long as ad block and sponsor block continue to work im ok with ad's that can easily be skipped. 

my only issues are when they don't work. some video's would have preroll ad , intro add, baked in add, mid roll ,post ad affiliate code/links...everyone needs to pay the bills but when you combine the potential ads your worse than tv. yes i know there's youtube premium to stop the (youtube pre, mid, post ad's) and FP for some content creator's but to quote Rick and Morty "that's just cable tv with extra steps."  the flow of some videos seem off due to the nature of the edits and transitions what i do generally like is when the host of the video does not "talk Segway into the" ad but it is simply cut in during a natural pause and cut back in. in my eyes the host should only speak of the content and nothing more. product spots and placements should be a natural part of the video not a forced narrative addition. 

So what you are saying is, you feel you should get the content, without having to pay for the content in any way?

Yes, I see how that is a good strategy, if everyone adopts this practice, no one will have to pay. Of course there will be no content either, but I mean fair trade. And if it is only a few people believing it is appropriate to consume content without compensation, well hey then, good job on putting it on people who actually follow the rules, to keep that content flowing for you.

Just come out and let people know how entitled you feel, so we can ignore you when you complain about something.

6 minutes ago, Biomancer81 said:

So what you are saying is, you feel you should get the content, without having to pay for the content in any way?

Yes, I see how that is a good strategy, if everyone adopts this practice, no one will have to pay. Of course there will be no content either, but I mean fair trade. And if it is only a few people believing it is appropriate to consume content without compensation, well hey then, good job on putting it on people who actually follow the rules, to keep that content flowing for you.

Just come out and let people know how entitled you feel, so we can ignore you when you complain about something.

Don't shame people for the practice of blocking ads. You are right that the content and platforms do need to get paid for SOMEHOW... but ads are shit. Very few of them are even worth watching and for the most part you are probably getting a repeat ad for a product you already know about. If too many people blocking ads kills the model then good. I would rather businesses find a more direct way to make money than this whole garbage "everything is free" model.

WAN Show sponsor spots are a different story though. They actually make the ad part of the content, even go off the rails. It is actually entertaining to see what mayhem Dennis was up to for the week and watch Linus react to what's happening. 

12 minutes ago, Biomancer81 said:

As Snappy Labs recently said regarding as blocking, adapt or die. That’s why many YouTubers have Patreon or merchandise, etc.

1 hour ago, Biomancer81 said:

If you understood me correctly it was about the sheer volume of them. Between the hosting site and the content creator and unnatural flow of the content for an ad spot sake. I have nothing against ads when they don't interrupt content.

in the middle of a statement and now a word from are sponsor back to content. Some ltt spots are perfect ala wan show they are designed to be in-between content topics not during a topic. Product placement such as a water botte, screw driver, pack pack can seem unnatural when it interrupts the content. The pre and post content spots are fine. Just when you combine the baked in spots with YouTube sometimes it is a lot. Yes everyone should get paid but at the same time if the content is not of a certain length maybe less baked in spots. Which to ltt credit they do limit when the content is short

1 hour ago, Lordmage said:

If you understood me correctly it was about the sheer volume of them. Between the hosting site and the content creator and unnatural flow of the content for an ad spot sake. I have nothing against ads when they don't interrupt content.

in the middle of a statement and now a word from are sponsor back to content. Some ltt spots are perfect ala wan show they are designed to be in-between content topics not during a topic. Product placement such as a water botte, screw driver, pack pack can seem unnatural when it interrupts the content. The pre and post content spots are fine. Just when you combine the baked in spots with YouTube sometimes it is a lot. Yes everyone should get paid but at the same time if the content is not of a certain length maybe less baked in spots. Which to ltt credit they do limit when the content is short

Unfortunately that's the problem with advertising. You HAVE to put it somewhere where people will watch it otherwise they will just click away. If they frontload everything, it will take too long to get to the content and people's ADHD will kick in and they will click away without actually watching the meat and potatoes of the video. If they backload the sponsor and product placements, people will have already watched the video and will click away. 

Overall while I agree that ads are annoying and ads that interrupt the flow of content are even more annoying, LTT does a pretty reasonable job with it. It's annoying, but it really doesn't try to take more of your attention than most people would actually give, and the fact that they go out of their way (and believe me it's a conscious effort) to make the sponsor segment at the beginning easily skippable with a double tap of the arrow keys is LOADS better than pretty much any other YouTuber will do.

I can't tell you how many times I have had to right arrow 10+ times to skip a sponsor segment in another creators video only to have to left arrow back because the sponsor spot didn't actually end on a skip interval.

As far as I am concerned, LTT is the gold standard for how sponsorships and product placement SHOULD be handled.

4 hours ago, Drazil100 said:

Unfortunately that's the problem with advertising. You HAVE to put it somewhere where people will watch it otherwise they will just click away. If they frontload everything, it will take too long to get to the content and people's ADHD will kick in and they will click away without actually watching the meat and potatoes of the video. If they backload the sponsor and product placements, people will have already watched the video and will click away. 

Overall while I agree that ads are annoying and ads that interrupt the flow of content are even more annoying, LTT does a pretty reasonable job with it. It's annoying, but it really doesn't try to take more of your attention than most people would actually give, and the fact that they go out of their way (and believe me it's a conscious effort) to make the sponsor segment at the beginning easily skippable with a double tap of the arrow keys is LOADS better than pretty much any other YouTuber will do.

I can't tell you how many times I have had to right arrow 10+ times to skip a sponsor segment in another creators video only to have to left arrow back because the sponsor spot didn't actually end on a skip interval.

As far as I am concerned, LTT is the gold standard for how sponsorships and product placement SHOULD be handled.

Yes indeed ltt does do better than most in regard to placement and ease. Altho sometimes the timing seems forced for a bits sake but usually they are well done. 

1 hour ago, Lordmage said:

Yes indeed ltt does do better than most in regard to placement and ease. Altho sometimes the timing seems forced for a bits sake but usually they are well done. 

I chalk that up to their rushed production process. I'd give it a quarter or two to see how the week of introspection plans play out. It might result in better scripting of those spots.

23 hours ago, Drazil100 said:

Don't shame people for the practice of blocking ads. You are right that the content and platforms do need to get paid for SOMEHOW... but ads are shit. Very few of them are even worth watching and for the most part you are probably getting a repeat ad for a product you already know about. If too many people blocking ads kills the model then good. I would rather businesses find a more direct way to make money than this whole garbage "everything is free" model.

WAN Show sponsor spots are a different story though. They actually make the ad part of the content, even go off the rails. It is actually entertaining to see what mayhem Dennis was up to for the week and watch Linus react to what's happening. 

You misunderatand, there would be no need for an ad blocker if you chose one of those options to pay for the content in another way such as patreon or floatplane. But if you dont want to pay that way, and you dont want to watch ads, then you shouldnt consume the content.

What you are advocating is that a large group should be able to watch for free on the back of those that actually support the content.

By all means keep not paying in any way, but when something disaooears because it is not profitable to produce, then that is on the people who felt they deserved it for nothing.

1 hour ago, Biomancer81 said:

You misunderatand, there would be no need for an ad blocker if you chose one of those options to pay for the content in another way such as patreon or floatplane. But if you dont want to pay that way, and you dont want to watch ads, then you shouldnt consume the content.

What you are advocating is that a large group should be able to watch for free on the back of those that actually support the content.

By all means keep not paying in any way, but when something disaooears because it is not profitable to produce, then that is on the people who felt they deserved it for nothing.

What I’m advocating is that companies shouldn’t give us the content for free by giving everyone else more shitty ads. 

They have the choice on whether or not to try to detect ad block and I legitimately think that YouTube SHOULD go through with that experiment they tried a while back where you only get a few video’s before they lock you out until you watch an ad. 

It’s not stealing if they continue to serve the content without doing anything. It only becomes piracy once you are circumventing a means to restrict access to the content to paying users (even if the payment is ads). If they are going to give the content regardless of if you watch the ads and not even to try to stop serving the video it’s just privateering.