Madison reveals experiences working at LMG

baK1
Message added by SansVarnic,

*03NOV2023: Topic is now locked for the time until the investigation results are released, will not be re-open prior.*

We the Moderation Team understand this is a hot topic. Many have their own views and opinions on this subject. We request that members keep comments on the topic and refrain from personal attacks and derailments. We are diligently working to keep this thread clean and civil. Please do your part and follow the expectations and rules of the forum.

Violators will of course receive action against their commentary if we feel you have crossed the line. This is not an action to censor or silence you, it is an action to remove and prevent violations of the forum rules and keep the forum clean and civil.

That said. If your comment was removed, likely it was due to the above. If you have an issue, take it up with the mods via a pm and we will discuss it with you.

Lastly please only report comments if they violate the forum rules.

Please do not report comments with only opposing opinions, it eats up the report system.

1 minute ago, Magnus33 said:

(sexist crap)

I'm sure you're fun at parties.

Just now, HesCalledTheStig said:

Not sure what you’re getting at but by all means, have a good day 🙃

Ah, another case in which someone needs to be extremely straightforward with you. As you are a grown ass man in tech, I'm not surprised that you are unable to pick up on context clues.

Your non-response to me had a typo/grammatical error in it. In another non-response to another user, you admonished them for their typos and grammar.

By posting them next to each other, it shows that you don't hold yourself to the same standard as others and it shows that you are hypocritical. 

I did this as your non-response deserved a non-response in kind and it's humorous when someone is caught doing something they admonish others for.

I'm not immune to typos and grammar, which is why I've learned to respect Muphry's law.

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There's also the issue of what Colin's technical position within the company was and any legal reporting requirements he would have had with knowledge of harassment/bullying/sexual impropriety. While the thread is getting flooded by "derailers", a lot of folks clearly don't understand why lawyers tell you to shut up when you're involved in deep legal issues. There's times that isn't the best course of action, but it's the general rule for a reason.

There are no "deep legal issues". The only ones talking about "deep legal issues" is the self-proclaimed fanbase army, complaining about a lack of evidence and making up unfounded claims - the irony of this is rather stunning.

Right now one party has complained about a toxic work environment with a lack of checks and balances. The other party has started an investigation by a third party investigator. Everything else is just unfounded speculation or in most cases wishful thinking.

7 minutes ago, yoc said:

If true, Linus lied (again) in his statement to The Verge.

No, he said her comments didn't fit his recollection of events. 

"I was in a state of shock reading through these allegations, plain and simple. They aren’t consistent with my recollections. They aren’t consistent with our internal processes. They aren’t consistent with our company values."

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/16/23834190/linus-tech-tips-gamersnexus-madison-reeves-controversy

While all of the LMG statements given about the situation are clearly lawyer checked, Linus hasn't lied. He hasn't actually said much, but it isn't a lie.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

No, he said her comments didn't fit his recollection of events. 

"I was in a state of shock reading through these allegations, plain and simple. They aren’t consistent with my recollections. They aren’t consistent with our internal processes. They aren’t consistent with our company values."

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/16/23834190/linus-tech-tips-gamersnexus-madison-reeves-controversy

While all of the LMG statements given about the situation are clearly lawyer checked, Linus hasn't lied. He hasn't actually said much, but it isn't a lie.

You seem very certain of that. Have you been asking others to wait for proof before accusing someone on other matters?

We may not know "what he *knew, and when he knew it", but we do know that while he was CEO of the company people who weren't Madison reported it verbally to others - and it is likely that that "other" was HR, who is not just Linus's co-owner of LMG, but also his wife. That doesn't match up nicely with Linus's statement that it "isn't consistent with [his] recollections".

3 minutes ago, buttpoop said:

Ah, another case in which someone needs to be extremely straightforward with you. As you are a grown ass man in tech, I'm not surprised that you are unable to pick up on context clues.

Your non-response to me had a typo/grammatical error in it. In another non-response to another user, you admonished them for their typos and grammar.

By posting them next to each other, it shows that you don't hold yourself to the same standard as others and it shows that you are hypocritical. 

I did this as your non-response deserved a non-response in kind and it's humorous when someone is caught doing something they admonish others for.

I'm not immune to typos and grammar, which is why I've learned to respect Muphry's law.

Ok. Gotcha. 

Have a good one. 🙃

3 minutes ago, Magnus33 said:

Dub made matters worse with his fans comment which was no smart.

You keep saying this without explaining why you think it's so damning. Someone said "the fanbase is accusing her of lying" and he said "no shit". That doesn't imply some conspiracy, some huge bias that makes his whole argument tumble down. This isn't your big gotcha moment, aight Phoenix Wright, get a grip.

Just now, Magnus33 said:

I was talking about the mafia comment.

Here the problem with what you said though and its a large one you picked a side.

Yes people need to come forward if they are a victim or believe they were.

But any lawyer at this point would tell them to stay off social media and just stick to the facts no personal comments at all.

Dub made matters worse with his fans comment which was no smart.

Lawyers do this all the time to prevent client from saying something wrong that could kill their case even if their are a victim, happens far to often.

The other reason is if they are lying you don't want to give it away or get yourself into even more trouble which also happens to often.

Funny thing is you are accusing me of the very thing your doing.

I haven't picked a side i said the facts on the surface so far don't add up.

This doesn't mean anyone is lying as its been two years  and the worst witness are peoples memories

I fully agree there are plenty on the forum who have blamed either side which is about as dumb as it gets.

Depp got crucified when Amber heard said what she said and people didn't bother looking for facts before doing so.

This is a point where things should be taken seriously and investigated before point any fingers.

Its not believe all woman or believe all men its about doing things the correct way.

Sadly that's not what you did is it.

Be careful carrying the pitchfork as those that instantly believed Amber stuck themselves in the foot just as those who jumped to Wientstien defence. My advice step back don't get emotionally involved and let the facts and investigation play out. its far to early to tell who is a actually victim here is and only fools bet on a horse before its left the barn.  Let the fools argue it out and don't get dragged into the drama as that cesspool its not a health place to be in regardless of  what anyone believes.

Taking my own advice i am done.  There too many picking sides without waiting for facts and going any further into this mess well make me feel dirty. Best advice people park the emotions step back and let the people who job it is do it . Then when the facts are known you can tar and feather the party who did the wrong whoever it maybe. Sadly this social media vigilantism is a downside of the internet and nearly always does far more harm then good.

3 minutes ago, kalleth said:

and it is likely that that "other" was HR, who is not just Linus's co-owner of LMG, but also his wife.

This shocks me every single time I read it.

How many tone-deaf jokes, product placements, and laughs can we expect as you claim to be taking it seriously?  Also, will the video be monetized again?  

Just now, Magnus33 said:

Taking my own advice i am done.  There too many picking sides without waiting for facts and going any further into this mess well make me feel dirty. Best advice people park the emotions step back and let the people who job it is do it . Then when the facts are known you can tar and feather the party who did the wrong whoever it maybe. Sadly this social media vigilantism is a downside of the internet and nearly always does far more harm then good.

You can pick a side and still have a decent debate. Some just don’t seem to realize that.  I hadn’t picked a side but I know where I’m leaning now. 

Just now, Magnus33 said:

I should just let you leave without replying, but. Those of us who have been giving LMG money every month, and are disturbed that we might have been financially supporting a company that enables abuse, are entitled to be very angry when allegations of abusive behaviour are posted. That's why emotions are running high.

People who are angry about this need to be rebutting toxic viewpoints in threads like this, otherwise those with more extreme views (such as -- and I'm not saying this is entirely you, although your comments earlier about the JD/AH proceeding are disturbing) will post on through and it'll appear like their views are the majority, when they're not.

1 minute ago, HenrySalayne said:

There are no "deep legal issues". The only ones talking about "deep legal issues" is the self-proclaimed fanbase army, complaining about a lack of evidence and making up unfounded claims - the irony of this is rather stunning.

Right now one party has complained about a toxic work environment with a lack of checks and balances. The other party has started an investigation by a third party investigator. Everything else is just unfounded speculation or in most cases wishful thinking.

Part of the issue with Linus' Monday response to GN was completely missing the massive issue with how their entire internal system could have Billet Lab's Prototype end up in the charity auction, after it should have been shipped back to them over 2 weeks before.  It wasn't about the price/money.  It was about the "big picture".

"Deep legal issues" is real. Madison has done at least a couple of million CAD in Brand damage to LMG and some level of damage to Linus personally. Just because LMG is in internal & external review at the moment doesn't change that damage. Just because it isn't in court at this moment, doesn't mean that liability doesn't still exist. Oh, and there's also still the issue about required reporting under BC employment law for management.

You can pick a side and still have a decent debate. Some just don’t seem to realize that.  I hadn’t picked a side but I know where I’m leaning now. 

This is a fair point, I keep trying to point out that any assumptions that any of us make right now are basically based on one side of the story, and with very little other information one way or the other.

All anyone here is doing is grasping at straws to try to prove their, already decided, point.

There is no point in debating, or strawmanning, or even speculating beyond a certain point.  None of us know anything, and the people who do know something aren't going to talk about it, because doing that opens you up to all kinds of potential problems.

22 minutes ago, AcidBurn98 said:

I am sure you are really professional lawyer and not just pulling that out of your unwashed poop hole. Oh wait we have this beautiful thing called freedom of speech in both america and canada. So her releasing these statements is not illegal or defamatory, especially since we already have her coworkers backing her up, and a hr meeting from after her termination.

Freedom of expression in Canada comes with limits.   The bar for defamation (which can include defamation of corporations) is much lower in Canada than in the USA. 

I do not know whether her comments could be considered defamatory or not.   I am not certain how you came to that conclusion...perhaps you are a "really professional lawyer"?     

The utterly inane "HR" meeting corroborates that an employee left under bad terms.

Colin's statements corroborate that Madison expressed these same concerns while at the company.

Anything else is speculation.

1 minute ago, RatKnight said:

This is a fair point, I keep trying to point out that any assumptions that any of us make right now are basically based on one side of the story, and with very little other information one way or the other.

All anyone here is doing is grasping at straws to try to prove their, already decided, point.

There is no point in debating, or strawmanning, or even speculating beyond a certain point.  None of us know anything, and the people who do know something aren't going to talk about it, because doing that opens you up to all kinds of potential problems.

Yep. And I’m guilty of it as well. I’m here more for the updates now. Reddit is just too toxic for me 😶

1 hour ago, kewtz said:

The people that are throwing shade at Madison's allegations with zero knowledge or involvement with her alleged experience are part of the problem.

The allegations are serious. It's not your job to play internet lawyer. It's also not your job to defend LTT in this situation.

Blind loyalty for a situation like this is toxic. You're not going to get an internet badge for sticking up for a company that allegedly treated a human-being less than human.

This thread is disappointing. Our cohesive message should be:

• We hope the allegations are not true.
  • If the allegations are true, they should be taken seriously.
  • If the allegations are true, involved parties must be held accountable.

Seriously...this is a basically for geeky gamer hardware and people are asking for evidence as if this is a court of law and the case is being tried right now.  Nobody here is trying to throw anyone in LTT at jail for sexual assault nor does anyone here have the power to.  We are disseminating the information as we receive it.

Yep. And I’m guilty of it as well. I’m here more for the updates now. Reddit is just too toxic for me 😶

Reddit has gone full mob mode.  The pitchforks and torches have been out for days, but I think a lot of that is an influx of people who have never been, and will not be after, part of the community.  A lot of folks are professionally offended.

Before this, I didn't post much here, but I lurked since 2020.  A lot of 0 day old accounts posting either fanboying for or attacking LMG.

The sad truth is that regardless of what the truth is, most people have already dug in their heals and decided what they want to believe.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Part of the issue with Linus' Monday response to GN was completely missing the massive issue with how their entire internal system could have Billet Lab's Prototype end up in the charity auction, after it should have been shipped back to them over 2 weeks before.  It wasn't about the price/money.  It was about the "big picture".

He came out later and said the person who was supposed to send it back was on a 2 week vacation. Why the fuck didn't he say that in the first place?
The smarter way to handle this would have been a long video addressing every step of how things went wrong in EXCRUCIATING detail. There wouldn't be any speculation or debate. Then the lay-man can see where the chain of custody got screwed up and what could be done to fix the issue.

Instead we got a typical Linus response.

4 hours ago, ProbablyNotFidel said:

You're assuming third party investigators don't need to uphold credibility in order to stay in business. If their findings are unbelievable, what's the point of hiring them?

Its akin to business audits. We and/or our customers pay the auditor to come in and audit our processes. They have to work with us professionally, but their job is to find deficiencies and give guidance on what needs to change. If they just give you a check mark and then someone else comes in and says our systems are junk. How does that reflect on the first auditor? 

That’s a very idealistic (and naïve) point of view. Of course we would hope these investigators care about their reputation too much to be biased on their verdicts. In reality if you were accused of a problematic behaviour what kind of investigators are you going to hire? The ones that are known to spell the truth regardless whether it hurts their paying client, or the ones that protect their customers’ interests? You’re right that this is similar to business audits, and look at how many scandals we’ve seen from the Big Four? External investigators are in a race to the bottom, until someone gets caught red-handed.

Just now, sc3liu said:

That’s a very idealistic (and naïve) point of view. Of course we would hope these investigators care about their reputation too much to be biased on their verdicts. In reality if you were accused of a problematic behaviour what kind of investigators are you going to hire? The ones that are known to spell the truth regardless whether it hurts their paying client, or the ones that protect their customers’ interests? You’re right that this is similar to business audits, and look at how many scandals we’ve seen from the Big Four? External investigators are in a race to the bottom, until someone gets caught red-handed.

At least in my line of work, professional, 3rd party, investigators are step 1 in trying to determine if there is legal liability.  The reports generated are used to correct policies, and decide if it is worth, say, fighting something in court, or if you should just settle.

Basically, they are used as a way to identify issues, and possible fixes for those issues, before deciding anything else.  This means that it is in the companies best interest to have an impartial, 3rd party review that is honest.

2 minutes ago, RatKnight said:

Reddit has gone full mob mode.  The pitchforks and torches have been out for days, but I think a lot of that is an influx of people who have never been, and will not be after, part of the community.  A lot of folks are professionally offended.

Before this, I didn't post much here, but I lurked since 2020.  A lot of 0 day old accounts posting either fanboying for or attacking LMG.

The sad truth is that regardless of what the truth is, most people have already dug in their heals and decided what they want to believe.

~Half of reddit is really angry that a company they've been supporting could treat other human beings this way. The other ~half of reddit is a toxic cesspool of misogyny.

Just now, kalleth said:

~Half of reddit is really angry that a company they've been supporting could treat other human beings this way. The other ~half of reddit is a toxic cesspool of misogyny.

That is... a viewpoint that definitely isn't at all biased or tainted.  This is exactly my point that people have just decided to take a side, with no other information then what is available.

Part of it is certainly misogyny, is it HALF? No.  I do not, however think that saying "we should wait for the report" or pointing out flaws in someones accusations is that, unless they are finding flaws over something like "I guess she should have dressed better" or something..

I also don't think that many of the people who are really angry have ever, or will ever support LMG.  The second these things hit the front page, any remote thinking that anything being posted was "community members" is a joke.  That is not to say the community is not split, it is to say that reddit is not where I go to find the community sentiment.

I am in the "wait and see" camp.  I won't buy anything else from LTT, or give them any money until the report has been published, and then I will decide what I want to do from there.  There are certainly other things that could come out between now and then which may change my mind, but I am not going to speculate on those things because I am not a seer.

My sincere hope is that people leave all of the involved parties alone, even if that is fantasyland.

2 minutes ago, RatKnight said:

That is... a viewpoint that definitely isn't at all biased or tainted.  This is exactly my point that people have just decided to take a side, with no other information then what is available.

Part of it is certainly misogyny, is it HALF? No.  I do not, however think that saying "we should wait for the report" or pointing out flaws in someones accusations is that, unless they are finding flaws over something like "I guess she should have dressed better" or something..

I also don't think that many of the people who are really angry have ever, or will ever support LMG.  The second these things hit the front page, any remote thinking that anything being posted was "community members" is a joke.  That is not to say the community is not split, it is to say that reddit is not where I go to find the community sentiment.

I am in the "wait and see" camp.  I won't buy anything else from LTT, or give them any money until the report has been published, and then I will decide what I want to do from there.  There are certainly other things that could come out between now and then which may change my mind, but I am not going to speculate on those things because I am not a seer.

My sincere hope is that people leave all of the involved parties alone, even if that is fantasyland.

That is exactly where I stand right now. But it seems the more information that comes out, the more I’m leaning away from LMG. I’m not going to be one of those people that is going to completely boycott them but, they need to do a lot of housecleaning before they ever have my business again.

That’s if it turns out to all be true.

Just now, RatKnight said:

It's a viewpoint informed by looking at the top and bottom of the comments of the relevant posts that went viral on reddit, combined with being a human being, who works in tech, and understands some of these issues, as much as a 30-something man can. "Half" was an approximation, but it's a pretty close one.

I'm angry, and I've had a floatplane subscription since 2018.

image.png.ac37c82355b1d808def4cb991a90d7a4.png