Cancel Your Floatplane Subscription. Don't Buy Their Merch.

geokilla
5 hours ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

If I were Steve, I would have given LMG a bit of a heads up.  A simple. "Hey, I've noticed this this and this wrong with your data and reviews.  I'm thinking about doing a video about it BUT, I'd like to give you a chance to address it first."  I know it sounds dumb but, GN, LTT, J2C, Austin Evans, BitWit and Pauls Hardware have alway been cool with each other and have done some really interesting stuff together in the past.  I just hope this hasn't ruined the dynamic they have all had together (and several other tech entities on YT). 

This is another thing people don't seem to get and I find Steve to be very disingenuous about. Steve says "That's not what we do, it's a courtesy, not mandatory" but the thing is Steve, you could've released the exact same video with an additional statement from LMG. But if you do not get at least a statement from the party you're accusing, you're not only making it sound like it's malice from that party, you're also weaponizing your audience to go after them since you just told them that this party commits mistakes and "stole from Billet Labs", all with an undertone of malice.

5 hours ago, theboysinthewoodz said:

and?  Its much more profitable for GN to make a video about LMG than vise versa.

For real, look how the LMG video has at least quadruple the views Steve usually gets

4 minutes ago, DrHax34 said:

This is another thing people don't seem to get and I find Steve to be very disingenuous about. Steve says "That's not what we do, it's a courtesy, not mandatory" but the thing is Steve, you could've released the exact same video with an additional statement from LMG. But if you do not get at least a statement from the party you're accusing, you're not only making it sound like it's malice from that party, you're also weaponizing your audience to go after them since you just told them that this party commits mistakes and "stole from Billet Labs", all with an undertone of malice.

It's not even an undertone at that moment. 

It's intentional malice.

He full well knew what he was doing.

Rig 1                                                              Rig 2

DeepCool Macube 550                                  ThermalTake View 31 TG RGB

DeepCool Castle 360mm AIO RGB               FractalDesign Celsius S36 360mm AIO

R9-3900x oc'ed to 4.3ghz all core                  i7-970 oc'ed to 4.4ghz

ASUS X570 TUF                                            ASUS Sabertooth TUF X58

32GB G.Skill Tridentz RGB                            12gb Corsair

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC                      ASUS ROG STRIX RX480

Corsair RM850X                                            Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W RGB

Corsair MP600 NVME                                    Samsung 850 EVO

Adata SX8200 PRO NVME                            Intel 320

Seagate Barracuda                                        Seagate Barracuda x 3

Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue                          Western Digital Black x 1
Logitech G903 Lightspeed                             Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue 

MSI Optix 34" Ultrawide oc'ed to 120hz         Razer Mamba

Benq 28" oc'ed to 85hz

And I dont see LMG making a rebuttal video or anything against GN.  They have far too much on their plate at the moment.

If anything, I'd say its in LMG's favor to take the high ground and take the criticism. Shooting back would undermine their efforts to do better.

And I dont see LMG making a rebuttal video or anything against GN.  They have far too much on their plate at the moment.

It's also not Linus's style to make videos criticizing other YouTubers. At most he talks about it on WAN show and more often than not, he tries to explain X YouTuber's mentality and reasoning.

5 hours ago, NubCak said:

I would think that Steve and Linus were friends it atleast not enemies. There's no reason to just launch a video like this out of the blue.

They aren't friends, they never were friends.  There is a reason Linus left them out of their LTX 2023 when they said they wanted to bring out all the biggest names in the tech community according to avrona anyway. They been trading subtle jabs at each other until the LTT engineer called out GN and then GN responded.  Time to get popcorn and see what LTT does  

5 hours ago, CrabbyDadTech said:

I never purchased merch because I value the money I earn. Absolutely no reason to buy a branded water bottle or overspend on a screwdriver made with Chinese wage slave labor. 

Now what I did just do is unsubscribe from all their channels on YouTube. I recommend everyone else do the same, review your subs to all LMG content and unsubscribe from them all. 

Tell me you don't know anything about LMG without telling me. The Screwdriver has a bunch of parts and final assembly made in Canada actually, Linus supports local businesses. Also their backpack is pretty amazing and durable, just look at all the people on Reddit having motorcycle accidents and the backpack surviving without damage. It's misleading at best calling their merch "rebranded stuff" and "slave labor".

1 hour ago, DrHax34 said:

Also, given how long they've known each other, you would think that warrant a little bit of "courtesy"

18 hours ago, Dom1252 said:

what if said company deletes old ToS and replaces it... and you have no copy of old one (because honestly, who prints this, not me for sure) 

Idk what about the US. In my jurisdiction area, the company must provide direct comparisons between the old ToS and the new ToS when they need to change it, and the company also must give direction about what you need to do if you don't want to accept the new ToS.

you know better than to think the people who suck the LTT team off because they think theyre their friends will actually see through their fan boy goggles

4 hours ago, theboysinthewoodz said:

They aren't friends, they never were friends.  There is a reason Linus left them out of their LTX 2023 when they said they wanted to bring out all the biggest names in the tech community according to avrona anyway. They been trading subtle jabs at each other until the LTT engineer called out GN and then GN responded.  Time to get popcorn and see what LTT does  

I don't want to keep going in circles but this is incorrect. Linus talked about inviting Steve GN for LTX 2023 a while back on the WAN show. So he was invited, but didn't attend. Whether it was because Steve didn't want to go, or had a scheduling conflict that's only something Steve can answer. From some of Steve's recent videos, it looks more like a scheduling conflict, but I could be wrong.

7 hours ago, DrHax34 said:

Tell me you don't know anything about LMG without telling me. The Screwdriver has a bunch of parts and final assembly made in Canada actually, Linus supports local businesses. Also their backpack is pretty amazing and durable, just look at all the people on Reddit having motorcycle accidents and the backpack surviving without damage. It's misleading at best calling their merch "rebranded stuff" and "slave labor".

Okay Chinese sourced parts assembled at the MegaPro Canada plant and marked up double from what a typical MegaPro driver costs because of marketing, I stand mostly corrected. 

55 minutes ago, CrabbyDadTech said:

Okay Chinese sourced parts assembled at the MegaPro Canada plant and marked up double from what a typical MegaPro driver costs because of marketing, I stand mostly corrected. 

And yet you fail to know that most of the driver isn't even sourced from MegaPro but sure man, keep going on about it.

If you would do me a favor then leave the Forum too... Then we dont have to listen to your Bull****

On 8/17/2023 at 11:24 AM, GAFGripen said:

Do you know what is the definition of "Beta"? And it's not misleading, the company can still offer their repair service for free since it's their freedom. You need to know that the law gives you the right, which guarantees that the company MUST provide repair if you do not violate the original ToS, this is what we called the "warranty". By agreeing to the new ToS, you lost the right that the company MUST provide repair service. Instead, the company now CAN provide repair service since it's their freedom. If you don't want to take the risk, don't accept the new ToS.

Wasn't the entire point that in this case you *HAD* to apply the beta otherwise you had a much more serious issue, so you had to choose between a failure of one type, or in theory, no warranty cover... that's why it was a problem to begin with.

3 hours ago, CrabbyDadTech said:

And?

Do you know how many Canadian companies are capable of making the parts?

Tell me you know nothing about production without telling me you know nothing about how production works.

Snap-on, jet, mac, etc all do the same thing.

Rig 1                                                              Rig 2

DeepCool Macube 550                                  ThermalTake View 31 TG RGB

DeepCool Castle 360mm AIO RGB               FractalDesign Celsius S36 360mm AIO

R9-3900x oc'ed to 4.3ghz all core                  i7-970 oc'ed to 4.4ghz

ASUS X570 TUF                                            ASUS Sabertooth TUF X58

32GB G.Skill Tridentz RGB                            12gb Corsair

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC                      ASUS ROG STRIX RX480

Corsair RM850X                                            Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W RGB

Corsair MP600 NVME                                    Samsung 850 EVO

Adata SX8200 PRO NVME                            Intel 320

Seagate Barracuda                                        Seagate Barracuda x 3

Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue                          Western Digital Black x 1
Logitech G903 Lightspeed                             Corsair K70 LUX w/MX Blue 

MSI Optix 34" Ultrawide oc'ed to 120hz         Razer Mamba

Benq 28" oc'ed to 85hz

On 8/18/2023 at 5:49 AM, TheRedBaron_94 said:

You make a good point here , however , this too has a silver lining.
It was auctioned off for charity (where people tend to buy stuff they normally wouldn’t) , to me that makes a difference to outright selling it.

and again don’t get me wrong , this doesn’t make it ok

what is the difference? 

because auctioning is selling something to a highest bidder, makes it even worse

On 8/18/2023 at 9:24 AM, e22big said:

Also, given how long they've known each other, you would think that warrant a little bit of "courtesy"

Steve gave him that courtesy during the "trust me bro" incident.

After that he mentioned that he would be treating LMG like any other big company, because Linus has a systemic issue of creating his own narrative and outright lying about certain issues, or deflecting them if he doesn't agree with them. And honestly that's a fair take from him after other drama and community backlash that's happened in the recent years. 

And to be fair to Steve here, he did not have to reach out to Linus. Linus was very vocal about his thoughts and intentions in the WAN show the Friday before GN's video went live, and in the entire video GN also used previous documented video evidence from LTT themselves to further hit that point home. 

I'm applying Ikea spelling, meaning you get most of the words and letters, then it's up to you to assemble them correctly! 👍

16 minutes ago, Dom1252 said:

what is the difference? 

because auctioning is selling something to a highest bidder, makes it even worse

I respectfully disagree, it was a charity auction, I have personally attended two or three and I always end up buying something I don’t need but seems cool at the time ( or for goes for roughly the amount that I’m willing to give )  … chances are that someone just bought it for the heck of it 

what would have had me up in arms is if they actually knowingly sold it to a rival of billet labs 

25 minutes ago, Vexenar said:

Steve gave him that courtesy during the "trust me bro" incident.

After that he mentioned that he would be treating LMG like any other big company, because Linus has a systemic issue of creating his own narrative and outright lying about certain issues, or deflecting them if he doesn't agree with them. And honestly that's a fair take from him after other drama and community backlash that's happened in the recent years. 

And to be fair to Steve here, he did not have to reach out to Linus. Linus was very vocal about his thoughts and intentions in the WAN show the Friday before GN's video went live, and in the entire video GN also used previous documented video evidence from LTT themselves to further hit that point home. 

For just the inaccuracy and general poor quality of LTT content, yes, I would agree with you that no prior contact is needed.

But the whole Billet Lab incident is very different. Maybe it would have been true as well if he stopped at just the fact that LTT should have tested the Monoblock with a 3090, but the moment he dig into the "drama" aspect that is them losing the Lab prototype, reaching out is 100 percent a requirement because depending on the context involved, the community reaction would have turned out very differently. 

Like from this screenshot for example. The narrative around the Billet Lab prototype is that LTT had sold off their only prototype which is crucial to their workflow as a small company and had caused delayed in their development for weeks

But if so what's the meaning of "We originally said you could keep it" in this email? If it's so crucial to you, why did you tell the LTT team that they could keep it in the first place? And once they didn't get Colton's email on the 10th, did they ever contact anyone at LTT back for a follow-up before mentioning that Linus had ghosted them in just the 4 days period? I know an RMA process that took longer than that for sure.

Just to be clear here, I don't doubt the Billet Lab statement. I believe that they are telling the truth but the context around the lost of this prototype also matters,  and at the very least, deserved to be mentioned if nothing else for a completed picture. Whether the conclusion remains the same or not (and who knows how many details are getting lost in the process here.) 

And reaching out to their subject when the controversy of the story matters is exactly what the GN did to every of their past report. They've reached out to Artesian Build, to Newegg, to NZXT despite the even more obvious and damning circumstances and the severity of damages. And in every other case, they've followed up and reported the positive finding when the subject of their investigation made a u-turn and fix the problem - why the heck that Linus got just one chance to respond and still getting damned anyway when he immediately promised to fix the issue, unlike Asus, Gigabyte, or Artesian (whom the latter two never even do anything)

This sound like a trap to me the more that I think about it. And not in a good way. Regardless of Linus's narrative, if you treated him like any big company, you (GN) wouldn't have any problem with them as long as they implemented the change necessary to fix the issue. And honestly, for the longest time, I've found trying to create your own narrative and making a major omission to be a major issue with GN report as well (but it tends to be limited to a smaller scale content, pre-built review and such.) 

image.thumb.png.2082356dbfd28125e6f7367dcb29ee41.png

Too late, already bought the screwdriver...

…and I love my LTT screwdriver...

1 hour ago, OsirisEG said:

Too late, already bought the screwdriver...

…and I love my LTT screwdriver...

yeah, regardless of anything else, I really do love that screwdriver.  The strength of the magnet is super nice to getting screws and springs out of tight places and the ease of the ratchet mechanism makes 1 handed screw install much easier than even my electric precision driver.

I have alos had a pair of the sweat short that had the pocket fall apart after 1 washing so not even fanboying over all their stuff,(support took care of me 100%).  Track suit is comfy as hell

While the LTT screwdriver may compare favourably to other makes, it’s still 70 USD…. For a freaking screwdriver.

I paid 19.99 for a whole 20-piece screwdriver set which also included torx and alan keys. As they aren’t ratcheted, there is zero play in them whatsoever.

I’m sure the LTT driver is very good, (it better be at that price) but you’re paying a huge amount more for benefits that are so negligible they’re almost subjective. 

To take a leaf out of Linus’ book, I’m not going to pay so much more for a product that doesn’t make any sense no matter how good it is.

Main Rig: Ryzen 7 1700, 12 GB, RX 580 8 GB  Second Rig: FX-8150, 16 GB, R9 290 4 GB 

Third Rig: FX-6100, 16 GB, GTX 780 Ti 3 GB  Twin HP Compaq Elite 8200 Towers: i7 2600 (x2), 16 GB (x2), HD 5450 1 GB (x2)