The following components are required to run this program: DirectX Runtime

I'm trying to help a friend of mine get their games running. It started when they tried to run Dark and Darker and got an error that read "The following component(s) are required to run this program. DirectX Runtime". After making sure everything was up to date (graphics drivers, Windows updates, etc.) with no luck, I tried reinstalling Windows. It wasn't a clean reinstall, I chose the option to keep their files. Not only did that not fix the issue but now they can't play any games at all. Is there anything I can do to fix this situation or should I just do a clean reinstall of Windows and see if that will work? I've seen a few other threads that have had the same issue but haven't seen any promising results. If anyone has a solution I would greatly appreciate the help!

20230814_221318.jpg

Try running DxDiag.exe (DirectX Diagnostics), see what it says.

Could also try the System File Checker ("sfc /scannow") which should identify and replaced corrupted system files (https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e)

Otherwise, I'd say backup their files and do a proper reinstall of Windows

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Try running DxDiag.exe (DirectX Diagnostics), see what it says.

Could also try the System File Checker ("sfc /scannow") which should identify and replaced corrupted system files (https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e)

Otherwise, I'd say backup their files and do a proper reinstall of Windows

cool I'll try those next time I'm with them. it may be a minute before I can try that but ill keep the updates coming as soon as I can

OR, you know, you could just download the latest DirectX runtime and let it update DirectX, let it install what's missing.

Download DirectX End-User Runtime from Official Microsoft Download Center

Sometimes a game's release is build with a "beta" version of DirectX or a version of DirectX that has a specific version of a library inside, which may be changed or removed in the official DirectX update. In such cases, you would normally find the DirectX runtime in a folder where the game was installed, usually that folder is called "support" or "redist" or "redistributables" or "third party tools" or stuff like that, you may find there the directx package and run it. 

If the launcher is just buggy, you could try running the game directly from the game folder, just go and find the executable and start it.

7 hours ago, mariushm said:

OR, you know, you could just download the latest DirectX runtime and let it update DirectX, let it install what's missing.

Download DirectX End-User Runtime from Official Microsoft Download Center

Sometimes a game's release is build with a "beta" version of DirectX or a version of DirectX that has a specific version of a library inside, which may be changed or removed in the official DirectX update. In such cases, you would normally find the DirectX runtime in a folder where the game was installed, usually that folder is called "support" or "redist" or "redistributables" or "third party tools" or stuff like that, you may find there the directx package and run it. 

If the launcher is just buggy, you could try running the game directly from the game folder, just go and find the executable and start it.

Great ill try that as well when I get a chance, thanks!