Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

6 minutes ago, BigFatTeddy said:

Just out of curiosity and since I don't have the time to read through all of reddit, we're currently looking at:

a) Linus screwed up the review of Billet Labs cooler, including massive mismanagement of inventory, more or less losing their 3090ti, and then selling of their bespoke "prototype" water cooler.

b) Madison bringing up allegations against LMG as an employer, both in a specific way (regarding the occasions and what was happening) but being unspecific about the persons, places, and times.

and of course

c) GN holding the moral high ground over LMG for not living up to their claims regarding tests. And of course, screwing up a "startup" by doing a).

That it?

I'm just trying to find out if there is anything substantial in this, justifying the outrage on social media platforms and this actually hitting tech news even in Europe. I'm not sure I grasp the extent of the shitstorm compared to the damage done. Maybe I don't grasp the level of emotional damage out there, just not getting it.

To my understanding, Billet Labs is a two-man show, creating bespoke solutions for water cooling. The actual damage done to them, besides cost of labor and material, is hard to quantify, because they would have to disclose their actual revenue. Which might not be in their best interest right now; riding the social media attention wave would probably get them more bang-for-the-buck than claiming whatever they're claiming.

And Madison's claims are exactly that: claims. By today's standards: old claims.

So... I'm really struggling to align the extent and the scope of the incident on a rational level to the extent and scope of the shitstorm.

Please, enlighten me.

I have been here for all the 280 pages of the forum. Nothing that happened here was about rational. People didn't want facts or the full picture. I even read people threatening Linus's kids on the forum and reddit. So that's that

This might be a conterversial opinion, I don't really know but I haven't seen anyone else really say it so... 

This really isn't that bad... It just feels bad because it's youtuber drama. 

Some mildly innaccurate graphs, an item mistakenly marked as "keep, not for return", 1 lacklustre review, some sloppy business processes and a business owners ego and emotions running around before he is checked by his managers (not neccesarily managers in hierarchy). 

They clearly addressed multiple points and steps they've already taken, explained what occured with this whole waterblock thing (including showing the evidence that it was negligence and not malicious action) and had a clear apologetic communication out to the company within a reasonable timeframe. 

At the end of the day they are an entertainment company.

It doesn't take a genius to see that.

I'm never going to take advice on a serious purchase from an LTT review. I am going to go the first three results when I google the product name with the word 'review' after it once I've read the product specification sheet and see if it all matches.

I'm never going to build a data storage server from off the shelf components and go install it in someone's home for them to store the entirety of their business data on because it's 'cheaper'. I'm going to pay Dell or HP and absurd amount of money so that if something breaks I can have a tech with spare parts there with a few hours. 

I, and I dare say most other people watch the videos as they are entertaining. I don't care about graphs, or some bungled prototype and I dare to say 90% of his viewers don't either. 

As for his staff having to deal with effectively a vaguely crunchy schedule. I don't really care. They have an option to leave if they decide they are undervalued and overworked and I would encourage them to do so if that's the case and it doesn't look to improve. Say their peice and move on. And judging by the limited reviews on glass door some employees did, and other didn't find the workload to be that challenging. 

But seriously, it's a business going through growing pains with a kind of neourtic (now ex) CEO. Dime a dozen. It's a workplace like any other really by the sounds of it, good managers, bad managers, effective employees and ineffective employees. Welcome to the real world, no company is ever going to be a perfect place to work. 

Tldr: this really isn't that bad 

5 minutes ago, andreimj said:

with all the liquid spilling that I'm doing from time to time

lmfao 🤐

12 minutes ago, BigFatTeddy said:

Just out of curiosity and since I don't have the time to read through all of reddit, we're currently looking at:

a) Linus screwed up the review of Billet Labs cooler, including massive mismanagement of inventory, more or less losing their 3090ti, and then selling of their bespoke "prototype" water cooler.

b) Madison bringing up allegations against LMG as an employer, both in a specific way (regarding the occasions and what was happening) but being unspecific about the persons, places, and times.

and of course

c) GN holding the moral high ground over LMG for not living up to their claims regarding tests. And of course, screwing up a "startup" by doing a).

That it?

I'm just trying to find out if there is anything substantial in this, justifying the outrage on social media platforms and this actually hitting tech news even in Europe. I'm not sure I grasp the extent of the shitstorm compared to the damage done. Maybe I don't grasp the level of emotional damage out there, just not getting it.

To my understanding, Billet Labs is a two-man show, creating bespoke solutions for water cooling. The actual damage done to them, besides cost of labor and material, is hard to quantify, because they would have to disclose their actual revenue. Which might not be in their best interest right now; riding the social media attention wave would probably get them more bang-for-the-buck than claiming whatever they're claiming.

And Madison's claims are exactly that: claims. By today's standards: old claims.

So... I'm really struggling to align the extent and the scope of the incident on a rational level to the extent and scope of the shitstorm.

Please, enlighten me.

I think its also include a really awful first respond. (in my opinion). Thats like gas on the fire. And at first they say there won't even be a wan show segment. Which also kind of scred up.

6 minutes ago, Beid132444 said:

This might be a conterversial opinion, I don't really know but I haven't seen anyone else really say it so... 

This really isn't that bad... It just feels bad because it's youtuber drama. 

Some mildly innaccurate graphs, an item mistakenly marked as "keep, not for return", 1 lacklustre review, some sloppy business processes and a business owners ego and emotions running around before he is checked by his managers (not neccesarily managers in hierarchy). 

They clearly addressed multiple points and steps they've already taken, explained what occured with this whole waterblock thing (including showing the evidence that it was negligence and not malicious action) and had a clear apologetic communication out to the company within a reasonable timeframe. 

At the end of the day they are an entertainment company.

It doesn't take a genius to see that.

I'm never going to take advice on a serious purchase from an LTT review. I am going to go the first three results when I google the product name with the word 'review' after it once I've read the product specification sheet and see if it all matches.

I'm never going to build a data storage server from off the shelf components and go install it in someone's home for them to store the entirety of their business data on because it's 'cheaper'. I'm going to pay Dell or HP and absurd amount of money so that if something breaks I can have a tech with spare parts there with a few hours. 

I, and I dare say most other people watch the videos as they are entertaining. I don't care about graphs, or some bungled prototype and I dare to say 90% of his viewers don't either. 

As for his staff having to deal with effectively a vaguely crunchy schedule. I don't really care. They have an option to leave if they decide they are undervalued and overworked and I would encourage them to do so if that's the case and it doesn't look to improve. Say their peice and move on. And judging by the limited reviews on glass door some employees did, and other didn't find the workload to be that challenging. 

But seriously, it's a business going through growing pains with a kind of neourtic (now ex) CEO. Dime a dozen. It's a workplace like any other really by the sounds of it, good managers, bad managers, effective employees and ineffective employees. Welcome to the real world, no company is ever going to be a perfect place to work. 

Tldr: this really isn't that bad 

And i think its just mutiple small f up plus awful first respond cause this backlash. 

12 minutes ago, BigFatTeddy said:

and of course

That it?

Please, enlighten me.

I'd say that the only thing being missed here is that LMG have been found to be dropping in replacements for videos and not really doing all that much to 'fix' their data inaccuracies.

It is entirely plausible for example that you or I have watched a video which contained figures that are considerably inaccurate and not known about it. It's also possible that others clicked the link to watch the same video only to find an entirely different one with cutsd and edits.

The misinformation angle (Madison's allegations aside) and the poor integrity brought by the sheer amount of corrections that LMG have been making in pinned comments - that's the real place people should be concerned about especially with Labs and the investment into that project. If they can't get the info right before Labs is ready, how do we expect them to ensure that a more advanced system is going to be any better. So you didn't catch onto the mis-information and inaccuracy angle.

I used to work as a tech and consultant, now I've become an odd person who plays dress-up and calls themselves a theatre maker.

My Rig: Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450 Pro4 | Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB 3200Mhz | Asus TUF GeForce 1660 Super OC | Corsair Carbide 175r | XPG Core Reactor 750W
Keyboard Corsair K55 | Mouse Corsair Harpoon | Sound AKG 52 Headphones,

1 minute ago, just a normal guy said:

I think its also include a really awful first respond. (in my opinion). Thats like gas on the fire. And at first they say there won't even be a wan show segment. Which also kind of scred up.

That is true. Nobody said here that Linus didn't do anything wrong, but that it just blew over proportion and at some point it wasn't even about Linus anymore

6 minutes ago, andreimj said:

I have been here for all the 280 pages of the forum. Nothing that happened here was about rational. People didn't want facts or the full picture. I even read people threatening Linus's kids on the forum and reddit. So that's that

Thread should be locked, threatening the children is crossing the line. Don't bring innocent parties into this. (someone will undoubtedly say but but but what about the kid and mother who committed suicide, completely apples to oranges)

Just now, andreimj said:

That is true. Nobody said here that Linus didn't do anything wrong, but that it just blew over proportion and at some point it wasn't even about Linus anymore

Yes. There are even personal attack in Chinese social media which said Linus is a short person. 😂

6 minutes ago, andreimj said:

I even read people threatening Linus's kids on the forum and reddit

Seriously? wtf.

Reddit =/= Twitter(X) = garbage

The same community on Reddit/Twitter was also blamed for the suicide of someone's kid a few years back too. Sometimes I struggle to understand these people and how they can become so broken to go after anyone. The parasocial relationship the "fans" have with many content creators is so toxic.

9 minutes ago, myashypaintbox said:

Thread should be locked, threatening the children is crossing the line. Don't bring innocent parties into this. (someone will undoubtedly say but but but what about the kid and mother who committed suicide, completely apples to oranges)

That happend due to the keyboard warriors pushing that kid over his limits. Linus condemned that behaviour immediately, unlike Steve who on his second video was pocking sticks

1 hour ago, dragonuck76 said:

STOP on pushing about x-employees, and or Maddison.  That is none of our business.  Do you look at the same for friends family or others who have lost a job in one way or another and quit, NO.  The only reason you and others want to is to push more rubbish which has nothing to do with us.  We do not know fully what went off between any staff who left or why etc.  But to take one person side and make this a point is pathetic and wrong. This type of situation is between LMG and employees including maddison but who by the way left, quit, well over year and half or more.  So there is no point of discussing it.   Other than to pile more rubbish for no reason. 

So again stop with this crap....  may be LMG should take down the site until further notice as they are doing with videos.

might want to ease up on the pills there son since my post mentions no employees at all...... 

Just now, andreimj said:

That happend due to the keyboard warriors pushing that kid over his limits. Linus condoned that behaviour immediately, unlike Steve who on his second video was pocking sticks

Uh, you might want to edit this...

3 minutes ago, dago_mcj said:

I really, really wish I could make a new thread, but I'm sure any moderator making a cursory review of the content would say the subject material belongs here.

Conclusion from the events so far?

In my opinion, what we can conclude from the events so far are that regardless of when anything happened, Linus needs to relinquish control to Terren.  Believe it or not Linus, sometimes outgoing CEOs are NO WHERE to be found as they are likely off enjoying their golden parachute; and the only person left behind to handle a shit storm from the past is the present CEO.

What is Linus good at? Entertainment on the fly. We tested a waterblock for the wrong video card? Keep the camera rolling and let’s make this content viable somehow. What is Linus bad at? Speaking publicly about managerial actions/decisions.  We were confronted on WAN show about testing a waterblock with the wrong video card? Your ONLY answer should always be, I tried to make content while the camera was rolling. ANY other excuse, should be made, and especially COMMUNICATED by the CEO.

Lastly, does anyone at LMG realize Steve from GN was a product tester for a living outside of creating video content… get this, not just creating any video content, but video content… doing product testing! Seriously, realize that he is coming from a place of established professional experience. His feedback was objective, and was presented as if he were providing a quality review/quality control (QR/QC) of someone else’s testing.  So, what can we learn from this? I think it was stated elsewhere, I believe last I saw on reddit, but that LMG desperately needs effective QC/QR of content before uploading.   If you’re going to continue to upload content without an effective quality review process, then what’s the point of a lab? You’re likely better off making another channel all together with lab content that has been through a quality review and control process.

~TL;DR~

• 1.  Linus should stop taking on duties as the big boss and let Terren handle everything as a CEO should.
    • a.  Linus should never make public responses on WAN show, in forums, or otherwise ever again, as that role is best performed by the acting CEO. For example the following should never occur again, see:
      • i.  WAN show response to questions about Billet Labs Monoblock video
      • ii.  WAN show responses about former employees.
        • 1.  Seriously, get a lawyer to make a blanket statement that, "anything relating to former employees can be addressed with HR or the CEO and we recommend you direct any related inquiries there."
      • iii.  Forum post in response to Gamers Nexus
  • 2.  Linus should keep making entertaining content, regardless of how fouled up a shoot might become because this is his greatest strength.
  • 3.  The lab, needs to function as a lab. Only the lab should use lab resources and publish lab findings. Writers attempting to make content should not use lab processes on their own and publish lab findings that haven’t been properly tested following lab control procedures and without prior authorization for each and every instance from the lab. 
    • a.  This means the lab needs to sign off on any material a writer publishes in a video, for every video, every time. No blanket sign offs, ever.
    • b.  Stop taking lab findings and using them in videos that were produced because of material in # 2 noted above.  In other words, if you’re going to push a video to upload that was done by the seat of your pants then don’t bother pushing findings, and make it abundantly clear, this is entertainment content, and not legitimate testing from the lab.
      • i.  This doesn’t mean you can’t interject your opinion Linus. There’s nothing wrong with saying, wow this is an expensive water block for a one off case, even if you tested it with the wrong hardware. That is an opinion, and IMO, the way you share your opinions are part of what makes the content engaging. Keep it up, don't change sharing an opinion, but take the extra effort of differentiating opinion from fact.
  • 4.  Labs needs to manage inventory and shipping, so that inventory and shipping are subject to the same QC process labs should be implementing for themselves.  There is no reason why the Billet MonoBlock got separated from its video card.  There is no reason why the block got auctioned when it was requested to be returned by the creator.
    • a.  This means Colton needs to forward emails from people like Billet to the inventory management team (that should directly report up to labs) for the shipping team (also reporting up to labs) to arrange for the return of the hardware.
    • b.  This obviously means the inventory team needs to be on TOP of all hardware, at all times.  It's a simple database, tasking someone to inquire on all hardware not currently in secure possession by the inventory team. 
      • i.  My recommendation is to have the inventory team setup a sign out and sign in process.  Writers, Executives, etc (anyone who takes out hardware from inventory) are required to sign out for said hardware, with the understanding they will provide inventory team with a scheduled return date.  NOT only will the inventory team contact the holder of the hardware once every (1) business day on the status, (and in perpetuity until the hardware is returned) there needs to be proof of a status change. If there is no effective proof after three (3) cumulatively failed status changes, the person having signed out the hardware is reprimanded. The reprimand should result in a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP).  This will likely require studying the inventory procedures for signing out hardware and testing their understanding.  Allow the person to test as many times necessary until they receive a passing grade. A passing grade should be 85% or greater in comprehension.  If the person singing out hardware fails again for a second time having failed three times cumulatively to provide a reasonable update with hardware, the person should be terminated or demoted losing all permission to sign out hardware.
      • ii.  If hardware is signed out, and there is no proof that there was any progress made with the hardware while it was signed out, after the second failure to provide an update with progress, the hardware is to be returned before end of the following business day. If the hardware is not returned by end of the next business day, employee having signed out hardware is placed on PIP.  See above for PIP resolution structure.

4.b.1 - they have long had an asset management system in place, but things slip through the cracks like all the "stolen from the office" stuff discovered in Intel/AMD extreme tech upgrade videos

38 minutes ago, SuperGnu said:

Logitech is AliExpress now?

I bought a Logitech G Pro Wireless mouse two weeks ago. Can confirm that is had a protective film on it and it was very visible in it's need to be removed - in that it covered the whole of the underbody and went over the edge so it could easily be removed. 

I'm not saying LMG were right to have missed the Pwnage film - but it probably is valid to criticise the mouse for not having a visible enough film. As someone who is visually impaired, I have had products before where I missed the film for weeks before removing it. (It was a film on the edge of a Samsung TV - it was the only item that didn't have a tab to highlight it)

Just now, Loopers said:

Seriously? wtf.

Reddit =/= Twitter(X) = garbage

The same community on Reddit/Twitter was also blamed for the suicide of someone's kid a few years back too. Sometimes I struggle to understand these people and how they can become so broken to go after anyone. The parasocial relationship the "fans" have with many content creators is so toxic.

Another reddit claimed that Linus's fan attack their child because of an issue while auction old gold plate button.  Just... Ridiclious stuff

1 minute ago, Erioch said:

Uh, you might want to edit this...

why? What did I say wrong?

Just now, andreimj said:

I guess I'll take it that you meant what you typed.

Just now, andreimj said:

Your comment said that he agreed with it - I think you meant to say condemned. I hope so anyway.

I just realized, with lmg stopping videos, I guess there will be no WAN show. That's it. The WAN show streak is over.

Just now, AamirA said:

I just realized, with lmg stopping videos, I guess there will be no WAN show. That's it. The WAN show streak is over.

I hope there still is one.......... 

Just now, just a normal guy said:

I just realize this post's reply got 279 pages long OMG

With 7 THOUSAND replys

1 minute ago, NullValid said:

Your comment said that he agreed with it - I think you meant to say condemned. I hope so anyway.

Yeah, you're right. I meant to say condemned