27 vs 32 4K - Your opinion pros and Cons

Choli90

I currently have 2 monitors - 27" 4K 60hz and 27" 1440p 60hz.  Side note, I use a dual monitor 4k 60hz KVM switch and haven't been able to find a KVM for a decent price that can handle higher 4k refresh rate (if you know of one, please let me know).  While I don't play too many games, I have this setup because if a game doesn't play well at 4K, I can use 1440p, and if that still has an issue, worst case I could switch 4K to 1080p (since 1080p is half of 4k)

Currently, I sit about 80 cm (or so) from the 4K and have the scale percent set to 150% (recommended in Windows)

I was thinking of getting a 32" 4K (70hz) and wanted to get opinions of people who switched from a 27" to a 32" 4K. 

What did you like about it?  What you didn't like?   

I also wanted to get some clarification on the following questions:

1) Do you have a 32" 4K sitting at (about) the same distance.  Do you have any issues?

2) Windows gave the 150% scaling a recommended, I read that the 32" gets a recommended of 125%

3) Would Excel show more cells in the same screen view (what is shown on the screen without scrolling)?

4) Any issues using Zoom/Teams and you having to do a screen share?

A while back I was using a 24" 1080p monitor and picked up a 27" 1080p.  Both showed the exact same number of Excel cells.

So about yar back i went from 2 27in 1080p displays to 2 32in 1440p displays Be warned the size difference is definitely alot in person than you would think on paper i sit about 75cm away and thats about the sweet spot for me I at 100% scale and its perfect size for me I dont use Zoom or Teams but i have no issues screen share in discord or with streaming/recording dont use Excel so cant speak on that. Curious why you want 4k though unless you watch alot of movies or 4k content 1440 is usually pretty good especially at 32in size 

I use a 32" 4k monitor, i sit fairly close and use 100% scaling.

I do not recommend using scaling as it just conflicts with too many applications, if youre kinda close to it, its fine. Though if you sit farther away from your monitor youd definitely want higher scaling.

You definitely get more excel cells in 4K at 100% scaling:

Spoiler

spreadsheet.thumb.png.5ab81c3a19b9676d04c38534af3b9dbe.png

Dont screen share with anything in 4k, its a mess for anyone else viewing it since theyre likely on 1080p just going by averages. Either have a virtual capture collecting a 1080p application at most, or use an entirely seperate monitor for that. I usually just do an application share with a relatively small window, or if something requires the whole desktop to be displayed, change the resolution to 1920x1080.

1 hour ago, Mayorville said:

I currently have 2 monitors - 27" 4K 60hz and 27" 1440p 60hz.  Side note, I use a dual monitor 4k 60hz KVM switch and haven't been able to find a KVM for a decent price that can handle higher 4k refresh rate (if you know of one, please let me know).

You have to look for dumb switches, not KVMs. KVMs tend to duplicate the signal, and hence they are limited to 4K 60Hz.
Dumb Switch actually acts as a switch. So, it supports everything your monitor/GPU support (NVIDIA G-SYNC, FreeSync, 144Hz @ 4K full color, etc. (for 165Hz 4K, as it goes above specs, you have no idea how the internal of the switch is to avoid signal loss issue, or other problems. Not to mention the provided cables, if any)

The cool thing with Dumb Switches, is that they are cheap. The downside is that you have to physically press a button.

Example: https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-CableDeconn-Thunderbolt-Compatible-ChromeBook/dp/B076ZKZLXT

(Make sure you use USB power plug as well, not shown in the image for best reliability)

Currently, I sit about 80 cm (or so) from the 4K and have the scale percent set to 150% (recommended in Windows)

I was thinking of getting a 32" 4K (70hz) and wanted to get opinions of people who switched from a 27" to a 32" 4K. 

Well, larger the screen, the less pixel density you'll get. Text won't be as sharp, icons won't be as detailed, and images would appear larger, making you need to zoom out (or the image viewer will do it for you), loosing details.

If you are like me, work with text all day, probably you want high pixel density to make text more readable. I mean compare the 1440p with your 4K. both 27inch, as you said, and well, 4K looks better because of this.

The pixel density, 4K at 32inch, will be between your 2 monitors right now.

2) Windows gave the 150% scaling a recommended, I read that the 32" gets a recommended of 125%

Use the Display Scaling that you are comfortable with. Be sure to restart your running programs (or sign out and back in of your account or restart the system) when you play with that option, as many apps don't support dynamic Display Scaling change, and appear blurry until restarted. 

3) Would Excel show more cells in the same screen view (what is shown on the screen without scrolling)?

You are exchanging pixel density with real-estate, so yes you should see a few more columns.

It is based on what you see. 4K 27inch, 150% Display Scale, people will see fine.

But on a larger display, and you are sharing the whole screen or the app you are sharing is full screen or just about, then yea, they'll need to zoom in Teams (not sure if Zoom support zooming in)

A while back I was using a 24" 1080p monitor and picked up a 27" 1080p.  Both showed the exact same number of Excel cells.

That is normal, because the only difference was that the pixel was larger. Passing from 92 ppi (pixels per inch) down to 81 ppi. So as you porobably noticed, text was fuzzier, and you probably noticed the pixel grid more as well.

Your 4K 27inch monitor has a ppi of: ~163, hence very sharp and crisp text and visuals.
Your 1440p 27inch monitor has a ppi of: ~108

The 4K 32inch you are looking at would have a ppi of: ~137

52 minutes ago, Red_Fog said:

So about yar back i went from 2 27in 1080p displays to 2 32in 1440p displays Be warned the size difference is definitely alot in person than you would think on paper i sit about 75cm away and thats about the sweet spot for me I at 100% scale and its perfect size for me I dont use Zoom or Teams but i have no issues screen share in discord or with streaming/recording dont use Excel so cant speak on that. Curious why you want 4k though unless you watch alot of movies or 4k content 1440 is usually pretty good especially at 32in size 

A few years back when I picked up the 4k, it was based on a tech tuber review and they had mentioned that 1080p scaled evenly with 2160p, so if a game didn't play well at 4k, you could drop the resolution to 1080p.

When I got the 4K (I was using 2 1080p monitors at the time).  When comparing the 4K to the 1080, I liked being able to see more within the same screen view, along with YT videos being clearer and just text was a lot clearer.

When I compare text between the 4K & 1440p, it seems that in some cases text is clearer on the 4k, but other cases I can't really tell too much of a difference.

To answer your question on why I want 4K..  It was because I already have one and for some reason my mind things going back to 1440p is a "downgrade", even though I have seen multiple reviews mention that there isn't too much of a noticeable difference between 1440p and 4K and another thread I just read mentioned that 4K at 150% is the same as 1440p. 

Now that I think about it, I'm open to either, depending on the price difference.

4 minutes ago, Mayorville said:

A few years back when I picked up the 4k, it was based on a tech tuber review and they had mentioned that 1080p scaled evenly with 2160p, so if a game didn't play well at 4k, you could drop the resolution to 1080p.

When I got the 4K (I was using 2 1080p monitors at the time).  When comparing the 4K to the 1080, I liked being able to see more within the same screen view, along with YT videos being clearer and just text was a lot clearer.

When I compare text between the 4K & 1440p, it seems that in some cases text is clearer on the 4k, but other cases I can't really tell too much of a difference.

To answer your question on why I want 4K..  It was because I already have one and for some reason my mind things going back to 1440p is a "downgrade", even though I have seen multiple reviews mention that there isn't too much of a noticeable difference between 1440p and 4K and another thread I just read mentioned that 4K at 150% is the same as 1440p. 

Now that I think about it, I'm open to either, depending on the price difference.

Everyone is different. I see a big different between 1440p and 4K on a 27inch. Some say that they look identical.

Personally, I never cared what other people say, I get what I enjoy and works best for me.

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You have to look for dumb switches, not KVMs. KVMs tend to duplicate the signal, and hence they are limited to 4K 60Hz.
Dumb Switch actually acts as a switch. So, it supports everything your monitor/GPU support (NVIDIA G-SYNC, FreeSync, 144Hz @ 4K full color, etc. (for 165Hz 4K, as it goes above specs, you have no idea how the internal of the switch is to avoid signal loss issue, or other problems. Not to mention the provided cables, if any)

The cool thing with Dumb Switches, is that they are cheap. The downside is that you have to physically press a button.

Example: https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-CableDeconn-Thunderbolt-Compatible-ChromeBook/dp/B076ZKZLXT

(Make sure you use USB power plug as well, not shown in the image for best reliability)

Well, larger the screen, the less pixel density you'll get. Text won't be as sharp, icons won't be as detailed, and images would appear larger, making you need to zoom out (or the image viewer will do it for you), loosing details.

If you are like me, work with text all day, probably you want high pixel density to make text more readable. I mean compare the 1440p with your 4K. both 27inch, as you said, and well, 4K looks better because of this.

The pixel density, 4K at 32inch, will be between your 2 monitors right now.

Use the Display Scaling that you are comfortable with. Be sure to restart your running programs (or sign out and back in of your account or restart the system) when you play with that option, as many apps don't support dynamic Display Scaling change, and appear blurry until restarted. 

You are exchanging pixel density with real-estate, so yes you should see a few more columns.

It is based on what you see. 4K 27inch, 150% Display Scale, people will see fine.

But on a larger display, and you are sharing the whole screen or the app you are sharing is full screen or just about, then yea, they'll need to zoom in Teams (not sure if Zoom support zooming in)

That is normal, because the only difference was that the pixel was larger. Passing from 92 ppi (pixels per inch) down to 81 ppi. So as you porobably noticed, text was fuzzier, and you probably noticed the pixel grid more as well.

Your 4K 27inch monitor has a ppi of: ~163, hence very sharp and crisp text and visuals.
Your 1440p 27inch monitor has a ppi of: ~108

The 4K 32inch you are looking at would have a ppi of: ~137

I looked at the dumb switch you linked and didn't see where to plug in a keyboard and mouse.  I have a separate laptop I use for work.

That being said,  I was thinking about if I wanted to stick with a 2 monitor setup or switch to 3.  It looks like this  switch would work for that

9 hours ago, Mayorville said:

i went from a 27inch 4k monitor to 32inch as the fan on the 27inch broke (it'd work with a fan behind it but not during hot summer days), it was right before the gp27u came out and thats the only reason i went 32inch, there were no other options. I sit about a foot from the monitor with 100% scaling

With that said, the 27inch was not big enough to cover my peripheral vision and all and the 32inch better with that but not perfect, need ultrawide for that but it's something i'm willing to sacrafice for 4k.

The text on the 27inch is a bit sharper due to higher ppi

excel would show more cells

if i had a choice i'd pick 27inch 4k with 100% scaling and just sit closer, but 32inch is a good compromise.

Just my 2 cents, everyone has different preferences. 

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

I like my 32" 4k, but I would not play games fullscreen at 1080p on it, it's too big for that. Tho, it's not uncommon I will set a game to 3072x1728 pixels (80%), even if it's not like an exactly half or double resolution match with 4k, it still look better than a 1440p 32" run at native to my eyes, especially if the the game itself have individual screen and rendering resolution settings because then AA and stuff is still calculated for 4k.

And with newer games with DLSS and FSR you can use that.

I run mine at 125% scaling and most programs support it fine without being blurry, the few that don't get fixed by going in to properties on the .exe file and changing the scaling on it individually (compatibility). Haven't needed to do that on any of the things I use most often, mostly just the installers themselves and some niche programs that have issues with it in my experience.

That this information as you want to.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

11 hours ago, Mayorville said:

I currently have 2 monitors - 27" 4K 60hz and 27" 1440p 60hz.  Side note, I use a dual monitor 4k 60hz KVM switch and haven't been able to find a KVM for a decent price that can handle higher 4k refresh rate (if you know of one, please let me know).  

Level1Tech have some DisplayPort KVMs that support 4k 120hz, but they are not cheap.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

13 hours ago, Mayorville said:

1) Do you have a 32" 4K sitting at (about) the same distance.  Do you have any issues?

I don't own 27" before but I seen before, it looks definitely much sharp text but also need more scaling. 

1) How big the screen, my seat distance always same. 

2) 125% is the best scaling for me in 32" 4K. The windows recommendation always unbelievable too big, don't trust their recommendation. 

3) Excel more columns and rows is depends on your scaling, it get more if scale 100%.

4) Most user screen still 1080p, you need to zooms more if you are sharing excel or word doc, no issue on PowerPoint full screen. 

I am a type of person prefer 100% scale, so I already sold my 32" 4K, now using 42" 4K as I find 42" is the minimum size I can use on 100% scale. 

12 hours ago, Mayorville said:

my mind things going back to 1440p is a "downgrade"

Never for me, actually I am back to Super Ultrawide 49" in 5120x1440 for my gaming PC and this is 1440p in 27", I still find this is the sweet spot for me in everything from gaming to productivity. The 27" in 4K and 1440p isn't very big differences to me, off course text sharpness in 4K surely better than 1440p, but to consider the gaming performance, I am back to 1440p.

My current 42" 4K only connected to my MacBook Pro for the moment. Why I never connect back my 42" 4K to my gaming PC, because I find first gaming performance issue, where I am already using RTX 4090, second the 42" feel a bit too big sometimes during gaming on my seat distance. 

Actually I find 32" is the best screen size, not too big and not too small but the issue is no resolution looks good in 100% scale. 1440p everything look too big, 4K a bit too small. I really hope they is a 3.5K resolution for 32" as I believe that resolution will be the best resolution for 32" in 100% scale. Too bad no such resolution exists for 32" monitor. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

Really only issue can be bad scaling. I don't want to use anything other than 100% but Windows needs improve on that and same for software devs. Increasing scaling just wastes display realestate, can cause issues. Higher resolution on smaller display is good since it's better pixel density for scenarios where there's a lot of detail but you don't need scaling. Like detailed games, no aliasing and screen door effect or graphic stuff.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, Mayorville said:

I looked at the dumb switch you linked and didn't see where to plug in a keyboard and mouse.  I have a separate laptop I use for work.

That being said,  I was thinking about if I wanted to stick with a 2 monitor setup or switch to 3.  It looks like this  switch would work for that

If you need a KVM feature set, then you need to get Level1Tech Wendel custom KVM which does that, especially if you have more than 1 monitor to switch to.

In my case, I made my own solution, I got 2 dumb switches, and a USB 3.0 switch, and I have an Arduino wired up managing the switch, and both PCs communicates via USB to Serial to the Arduino. I have a software on both PCs. This is assuming you can run your own software on the work PC, else you'll need to use a physical switch that you add that switches all your boxes together. If you go switch only approach, then no software needed, and you don't even need an Arduino. You just wire up all the buttons together, share the ground, and you have 1 button. You press it, it will act as if you press on buttons on each switch.