Looking for a motion sensor

CBL_Factor

Hello!

I'm looking for a off-the-shelf motion sensor (PIR type) with a decent range (5m / 15') that is not battery powered. When somebody walks in front of it, it sends a message to a computer:

• as a key press over USB would be perfect
  • a network message through WiFi/Ethernet is second best

If there's a API/SDK to use, that is fine. It's for a custom made application.

But no cloud. No hub. No proprietary BS. No subscription. Does that thing even exist do I have to Raspberry Pi it myself? I was thinking of using a Kinect but that seems a tad overkill.

arduino lenoardo/micro (because USB HID mode) and one of the many "for arduino" PIR modules.

simply make it do a whatever usb input you want when the PIR sensor triggers.

22 hours ago, manikyath said:

arduino lenoardo/micro (because USB HID mode) and one of the many "for arduino" PIR modules.

simply make it do a whatever usb input you want when the PIR sensor triggers.

Thanks! I was trying to avoid using Arduinos but it seems like I don't really have a choice.

3 minutes ago, CBL_Factor said:

Thanks! I was trying to avoid using Arduinos but it seems like I don't really have a choice.

if you want to have a platform you have full control over, there really is no reason not to.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

if you want to have a platform you have full control over, there really is no reason not to.

Except the time spent picking the parts, developing and troubleshooting the solution which is why I was hoping for something off-the-shelf but I guess I was dreaming.

34 minutes ago, CBL_Factor said:

Except the time spent picking the parts, developing and troubleshooting the solution which is why I was hoping for something off-the-shelf but I guess I was dreaming.

you'll spend at least just as long picking an off the shelf solution, peering trough the manual for how to set it up, and troubleshooting the interface.

essentially all the "developing" you need to do is:

if (digitalRead(sensorPin)){
	Keyboard.press('P');
} else {
	Keyboard.release('P');
}
delay(100);

and if it's anything more advanced than a digital pin, you can be assured that there's a library for it.

Thank you sir/madam! I did spend quite a bit of time looking for an off the shelf solution and this post was my last attempt.

And it's not just writing the code. It's finding the case, testing, soldering (hopefully not!)... and creating something that will last 5 years in a professional environment.